Combo Guns for Coyotes

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

1Shooter
coyotehunter

Combo Guns for Coyotes

Post by 1Shooter »

Does anyone use a combo gun (rifle and shotgun over/under) for coyotes? I've been wondering about them lately. The last couple coyotes I've called in I sure could have used a shotgun, but I'd rather not have to drag a shotgun and a rifle into the field if I could just carry an all-in-one gun. Anyone use combo guns?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: Combo Guns for Coyotes

Post by LeviM »

Drag a shotgun and rifle with you ! No need for combo
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
The Outdoorsman
coyotehunter

Post by The Outdoorsman »

Sling one over your shoulder and get a long strap for the shotgun to carry on you rother shoulder or have it to where the strap runs along your right side of your neck but the gun in on your left hip, like how you see some people carry satchels (sp) or small bags.
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

If you bring a shotgun to the field with a rifle, even if you set the rifle up on a bipod you're still stuck holding a shotgun out of the snow/dirt. Then if you need the rifle, you've got to find a place to rest the shotgun out of the snow while you switch to your rifle. Do other people shoot prone and carry in a shotgun? Where do otheres rest the shotgun if you need to use the rifle?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I look at my guns like a tool not a thing of beauty. If a coyote is coming in the shotgun can flopped right in the mud for all i care if i need to get on the rifle. If you want to see how it is done, watch one of less johnson's videos. He shows his set up on almost every stand. I think he even has his most recent shows on his website.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I shoot 95% of the time in prone position. When setup I dont lay prone, I lay on my side, with the rifle pointing in the most likely spot the coyote will show. Then I have my shotgun laying across me for easy access. If its a rifle shot, like chris said lay it to the side a position yourself with the rifle. You can get away with more movement than a guy thinks
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

The only shotguns I have are a 20 ga. that was my 1st shotgun, so I baby it quite a bit if I take it out. The 12 ga. I've got I inherited. That's a Rem. Sportsman semi-auto. I think they stopped making those in 1968? I try to baby that one as much as I can too. It would be nice to be able to afford a kick-around shotgun, that, like you said, I could just throw on the ground if need be and not even worry about it. I'll have to check into the Les Johnson vids.
Last edited by 1Shooter on Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

I almost NEVER leave the truck without a shotgun, the stand you do there they are at the back door stealing your wallet at 10 yards :oops:

I sit up in stand and shoot everything off tall bipod. Point the rifle downwind, with the but of the stock inbetween my legs. And the shotgun on my right side, with the barrel resting on my right toe. That way you can get under it with ease and swing fast :)

I shot 9 coyotes this year with shotgun and screwed up a couple of shotgun doubles (got the single) because of not being aware of mulitipul coyotes in different directions......

Like lyonch said; its a tool! when it snows paint it white and don't forget where you left it :)
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I understand your sentiment (sp) with the guns you own but get a shotgun and let it be a tool just like your rifle should be ( i don't condone throwing a rifle in the mud however). If a coyote holds up and needs the rifle the shotgun leaves stage right and i grab the rifle and settle in. DON"T BRING THE 20GA Combo guns don't have a place in my arsenal single shot kinda shoots it down.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Prairie Ghost wrote:DON"T BRING THE 20GA .
:shock: Never planned on it! :wink: By the sounds of it I should be looking at pawn shops for a beat-up but still functional 12ga.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
204sniper
coyotehunter

Post by 204sniper »

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Both are pump guns that are very affordable and damn near indestructable. Plus replacement parts, should you need them, are also inexpensive.
- Jeffrey Emerson

Close only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades....

Only YOU can prevent wildfires, which is good, because I've got things to do.

"That'll learn ya."
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

that would be a good idea 1shooter
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
The Outdoorsman
coyotehunter

Post by The Outdoorsman »

If you are worried about your shotgun being dumped in the mud, just wrap it in camo tape and then peel it off after you're done. If you are worried about it, then it doesnt need to be in the field. I was going to suggest Les Johnson as well, he lays his shotgun across his lap and quickly moves it to his side if he knows he will use his rifle. Or sometimes he just leaves it there in his lap.
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Post by Red Fox »

"Barrel length over 22" on any shotgun is a waste of good steel - all the powder is burned up in 22 inches." It depends on the powder used and the pressure generated combined with the payload. Certain powders peak at different points in the barrel of a shotgun much the same as a rifle. The smaller payloads of target loads are used up in the shorter barrels. Look in the Lyman Shotshell Reloading manual and you will see.