Nikon Monarch 1200 Laser Rangfinder

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

poodleshooter

Nikon Monarch 1200 Laser Rangfinder

Post by poodleshooter »

I got this new range finder for christmas, and because of work, have not been able to go a field with it, but i do tote it around and have ranged random things and this is what i have found. I was in deparate need of one because my scope is a burris with the ballitic plex with marks out to 500 yds, i had to borrow my friends to check them and they are quite accurate. SO i dropped some hints to "santa" and whooalla! :D

The first thing i guess i should say, in my research for a rangefinder, i found out that the actually work the best on overcast days, lowlight conditions and at night. The bright sun light seems to "drowned out" the laser and it has a tough time picking it up. That being said, i expiremented that theory and found it to be true. On a bright sunny day, so far, i've "only" managed to range a grain bin at slightly over 800 yds, still farther than i need, and probably most of us for that matter. It will pick up trees and brush fairly well at close to that distance as well. Then one evening driving home from work, i was stopped and had it rested on the window and i ranged a sign at 1142 yds! Couple nights later i was toying around with it in my yard and i ranged another sign standing "free handed' at just over 1000 yds. Pretty good! The stated range is said to be 11-1200 yds and though i'm yet to get a 1200 yd reading i've had them quite close to that i'm i'm sure it'll do that. There is two differnt modes on it, the one i have it set on is the "distant target priority mode," it will display the farthest target measured and is recomed to be used when targets may be partially covered by brush or grass and is probably the most useful for hunters. The other mode is "first target priority mode," which says it allows confident ranging of small objects or harder to range lone objects but i have yet to expirement with this mode. So far i am quit pleased with it and it does more than what i need and it does it very quickly. It has a black lcd display which is not overly cluttered and easy to read. The only complaint i have is that the backlight you can turn on in low light conditions is not very bright at all but is does work ok, other than that it seems to be a fine optic, the clarity of the glass is quite well, i'm sure there is better out there but you'll probaly have to pay twice the amount for it. The average price i found online was around $400, but i saw it as high as close to $500. Mine was ordered from mosquito creek outdoors for $319.96, thats was the best i could find. Here are some of the specs:

Measurement Accuracy: +/- 1/2 yd to 550yards
Magnification (x): 7x monocular setting
Maximum Distance (yd): 1200
Active Laser: Yes
Tripod Mount: Yes
Size (L&W): 5.7" x 3.2"
Weight: 9.8 oz.(without battery)
Waterproof/Fogproof: Yes
Eye Relief: 18.6mm
Real Angle View: 5.0 degrees
Display: LCD w/selectable bakcklighting
Tru- Target™ Ranging System: Yes
Battery Type (Included): 1- CR2 Lithium
Factory Warranty: 1 Year

Hope this was useful, if i forgot anything or if anyone has any questions let me know!
nddoublea77

Re: Nikon Monarch 1200 Laser Rangfinder

Post by nddoublea77 »

Had to one up my 800 and get the 1200 huh. I was going to go out today but laziness won again.
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Poodleshooter: You are not going to like what I have to say, but start doing some real tests and find out what you think of it. I know it will range a "grain bin" at 1100+ yards, but I don't think you what to hunt those anyway.

If you look back on all the threads about rangefinders, and I have read a ton of stuff on them. You might see a coomon problem.... Try to use yours in "real time" hunting mode. Go out and shoot it at deer, pheasants, the neighbors dog. Smaller things that represent real targets. I'm not saying it is a bad purchase, just want you to know what you got....

I looked at alot of them and read a ton of reveiws, been hunting with guys that have "other" rangefinders. And serious hunters who use there rangefinders alot, have one common response. If you don't have a Leica, you don't have a rangefinder..... If you want consistant "hits" with your rangefinder, and want it to pick up a coyote at 400-500-600yards, Leica is the way to go.

I'm not saying yours will not work for you, and I'm not trying to dog your stuff, just heard and seen to many people take there 800-1000-1200 yard rangefinder back because it just don't do what they want it to......
And most of them end up either get rid of them all togeth!er or getting a Leica.. Take a count on here and see how many guys have a Leica, and how many "other" rangefinders there are.... I have a Leica 800, and it has picked up coyotes at over 800-900yards, I don't go hunting without it!
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Opti

About your Leica 800- Please summarize what it can and cannot do with regard to ranging a coyote on snow covered open country.

How far will it provide a quick and reliable reading on a coyote's distance on snow?

What are its limitations?

Please note that my perspective is exclusive to owning a Nikon 440 I use for bowhunting. Like most, it works terrific without snow dominating the landscape. The high end Swaro & Leica stuff is out of my budget. I'd consider a Leica 800 (down the road) if it could easily range a coyote at 400 or 500 on snow. Thanks.
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Pilgrim

Here is my problem: this is the first rangefinder that I have ever owned and or used. I got buddies that have nikon and Lupeys and talk about all the limatations...... That is something that I have not experienced.

The only time that I have ever had any problems with mine, is when it is snowing.... And I don't think this is a fixable problem. the lazer reflects off the falling snow and is unable to read any distance to speak of. Other than that I have had no problems.

If you can hold it still and is under that 800-900 mark it will pick it up 95 percent of the time. We have ranged lots of coyotes in that 500-800 yard mark. And let me corect my earlier post, I have last years model in a 900yard range. They do not make the 900 any more just 800 and 1200.
I have no issues ranging coyotes on snow at any range. Snow was a concern before I got it and now that I have used it in the snow, not a concern. What is comforting is that CooperAI and .22-250AI also have Leicas, and side by side we are able to pull the same numbers consistantly :)

The Leica was out of my price range to, and Iooked at alot of models of other brands. They all said the same thing about "reflective objects" and "non-reflective object" and gave reasons for the short range readbacks, Leica didn't!!! It says 900 it ranges 900 and then some.

And also, I didn't want all the "bells and whistels" about "TBR" and true angle distance and all the other bullshizz. You pull a Leica, hit the button put the simple box on the target hit the button, and there it is simple, dependable and accurate...
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Opti

That's the sort of answer I was hoping for. :)

Somehow I had it in my mind that the CRF stuff coudn't range in snow. Looking back at my bias I realize I never considered asking a practitioner.

Thanks for sharing.
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Pilgrim wrote:Opti

That's the sort of answer I was hoping for. :)

Somehow I had it in my mind that the CRF stuff coudn't range in snow. Looking back at my bias I realize I never considered asking a practitioner.

Thanks for sharing.
You crack me the F**! up :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not a smart man by any means, it takes me two or three times to read your coments to understand you are not dogging me :lol: :lol:

If it made of Wood or covered in fur, it takes me a little learning. Hands on learning most of the time :lol: :twisted: :lol:

And to all the people who have "other brand" rangefinders, if they work for you that is great, I love mine and just want to help make someone a better shooter. Unless they are competeing with me, then they can go KICK ROCKS :twisted:
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Opti

My post is sincere, and I'm very glad you posted. All I can say is every time I saw a CRF type for sale I'd think, "for me, that's an ideal compact rangefinder, but it's too bad those don't work on snow", and I can't remember why I ever thought that.

With regard to rangefinders in general, I can't imagine a better source for a reliable endorsement than open country coyote hunters on tundra- Very small target, long distances, virtually white background... The white stuff definately reveals any limitations.

Poodleshooter- How well does your Nikon work when ranging coyotes on snow?
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Pilgrim: I know your sincere on your coments, you seem like a stand up guy. It just cracks me up the way you word things. Hope my feild testing helps you with product knowlage :)
poodleshooter

Post by poodleshooter »

Hey, i got out briefly to try it out a little better this past sunday, mostly ranging trees and brush at different distances, I did range some muleys at just under 400 yds, which i think is ok. Havent had a chance on a coyote yet, but hopefully soon. I did notice it wasnt ranging as far that day when i tried picking out smaller objects, but with some that i've borrowed from my friends, that seems fairly common, at least with the rangefinders i've tried. Thats why i opted for the 1200, i figured if i got half of that on most days, thats still farther than i'll be shooting and good enough for me. And yes, i do realize that Leicas are the best when it comes to range finders, but being my age, not too far out of college and just starting me career, not to mention my two young children, the nikon was more in my price range........but maybe someday when i'm makin those big bucks i can upgrade to the Geovids!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

What leica are you guys using? The CRF or LRF? Also do you notice any difference between the two besides size and weight?
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Thanks, Poodleshooter- You and Opti shaped this post into a useful report- I appreciate!
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Me and CooperAI use the CRF900 and .22-250 has the CRF1200. never tried anything else so don't have any info on that..
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Optimax90 wrote:Me and CooperAI use the CRF900 and .22-250 has the CRF1200. never tried anything else so don't have any info on that..
I dont know if it something that leica switched to when they made the new compact version (to compete with leupods and others small framed rangefinders), but i am having a hard time finding and functioning differences between the two of them. Oh well more research until i figure it out i guess :?
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
22-250AI
coyotehunter

Post by 22-250AI »

I dont know if it something that leica switched to when they made the new compact version (to compete with leupods and others small framed rangefinders), but i am having a hard time finding and functioning differences between the two of them. Oh well more research until i figure it out i guess :?[/quote]

They function exactly the same just the LRF is alittle bit bigger and the CRF fits in your shirt pocket.

If someone was working with a limited allowance, I would scour the net looking for a used LRF. You will be suprised how many people that are perfectly happy with them sell them to move into the smaller CRF model.

I can't afford to buy cheap gear.....
Krylon is my camo