video: calling like the pros

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

video: calling like the pros

Post by lyonch »

Has anyone seen the video "calling like the pro's"? I have had the movie for a while and it is an awesome movie for a begginer because it starts from what you need to get started and explains everything extremely well (very in depth). On another note, i spit my pop all over the place when he was explaning a scenario and said he like the wind to his back :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :? he was explainging how a coyote comes in down wind 99% of the time and well yeah we all on the site here for the most part understand this, but the wind to the back! The he goes on claiming he has over a 1,000 coyotes he has killed with his gun and call. I'm not quesitoning the guys ability to call coyotes, but i was just baffled by his idea about wind. He mentioned that this way he can watch down wind all the time and have more control of the situation. It has never once, not even popped up in my mind, to hunt with the wind :roll: I will try to get the guys name off the cover and post it tomorrow. This whole idea brings up something that i think is very interesting about scent and will be posted in the Top Dog Forum :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Re: video: calling like the pros

Post by Fallguy »

Lyonch

I have called with the wind at my back a few times. Two weeks ago or so I shot a single and a triple in the same day. The single was achieved by calling with the wind at my back.

If I remember correctly there is a well known call maker from Iowa who calls with the wind at his back the majority of the time. He is on predatormasters quite a bit. He is very successful doing it that way.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

I do it once in awhile in steep country.Access the area crosswind and call downwind-if I'm high and they are low or right or left in ravines.I think its a sound practice at times cause,like big bucks in some situations,they make mistakes if they think they have the wind.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

For those of you that do try to call with the wind, how successfull are you at doing it?
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

lyonch

I've only tried it a few times as I normally call a cross wind. But on REALLY windy days when we have been on a 2 day calling trip and spent the money to hunt I have done some calling WITH the wind to get the sound out there in hilly regions. I've killed a few that way but have done it very sparingly.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Success?What is that?Who said anything about that?
As for me,never kept track but since I only do it when it seems 'right',I'd guess its 1 in 10 like anything else I try here.In reviewing my notes I rarely have noted it-will do that from here on.I do think it works better for me when using 'coyote'sounds vs 'distress'.Have theories but not sure why.
I also 'know' wind pretty well and usually have a good idea of what its doing.Why shouldn't I?After all the only 'F' I've ever got in too many years of school was in meteorology and the final exam question was on 'wind vector analysis'.Whatever that is.No biggie,it was only a 5 credit course and anyway I got even-I retook it and got a 'D'.Guess I showed that SOBin Professor!
On the other hand 50 years of bowhunting in the mountains and flatlands gives one a pretty good read on wind in most situations-particularly if you're weird like me and spend much of the time on stand flipping little pieces of cattail fluff into the wind to see what its doing. :shock:
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

used to watch the wind never on my back until this fall ...passing on great spots, John my buddy said what do have to lose so started and if we had a clear view put the wind at our back's :shock: THE very first time we did it we had one come from the side of our down wind and before he entered ( best guess ) our scent I stopped him and John did the bang,bang shit thing, SO now If looks good I try and walk directly with the wind and set up, I can think of 3 shot this way. Many moons ago when I was trying to get out of the wind and set up looking down wind over the crest of a hill looking down only one draw and had one come from my left at 5-6 feet away, I shot her with the gun still on my lap lying side ways. 8) Decoy my wool jacket has a bare spot from pulling the fibers out all the time to check the wind :roll: :lol: finally bought a puffer bottle :wink:
a proud member of the "IF" team
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Ed Sceery pushes calling with the wind. There is instances where you can get away with it but i try not to do it. I have tried it when i was a long ways from home and had the wind come up really hard and had no choice really.

There is a difference in calling with the wind and watching with the wind. If you approach INTO the wind and then call and watch with the wind you are just watching the down wind side.

Approaching an area with the wind and calling with the wind and facing with the wind is a bad bad idea!!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

I have a few spots here and a few in Nd that I call wind at my back and have killed coyotes doing it. They are the kinda of spots where ya just know a coyote will come in and the reason that I do it that way is this. I have a huge wide open area straight in front of me( in the Nd spot its maybe 800-1000 yards and super looking brushy draws on either side and I am up on a fairly steep ridge. This way I can call both draws at the same time and to get down wind, they have to come out in this open and i am maybe 80 yards Above them. If I go into this stand any other way and I end up seeing coyotes running out one side or the other every time it seems.

If you can imagine a baseball diamond with the wind blowing from home plate (Where I park the truck) straight over the pitchers mound(where I sit) out past second base into the outfield. The coyotes are in the brushy draws(1st base,3rd base or the dugouts on either side). Its the same with my MN spot but the big open out front is only about 400 yards but the cover is much tighter but it has still worked on a couple different occasions.

Normally, using the baseball diamond idea again, I like to be set up on home plate and calling towards second base with the wind blowing from 1st base to 3rd or vice versa. I almost never call with the wind in my face because I figure(and quite possibly incorrectly that that will put the coyotes behind me or will discourage them from coming in because they are too lazy to go that far to "wind the rabbit" so to speak. I want to make it real easy for a coyote to wind me but I also want to make him show himself in the process of doing it. I figure the easier I make it for them, the more likely they are to come it or at least poke their head out. Then I try to shoot it off!

Anyway, thats my dumb-ass way of doing things. Sometimes it works, sometimes it dont.

Good luck fellas,

Jaybic
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Good way of explaining jaybic.

That was my point excatly the coyotes you are trying to call aren't coming from downwind they are going downwind when you are shooting them.

In my opinon calling "with the wind" would be where you expect the coyotes to be bedded at second base and you are calling from home or the pitchers mound with the wind blowing from home to second base.

This is a little bit of a unique situation because you have coyote holding areas on both sides of you other wise i would say you are calling a crosswind in that situation.

This is starting to get really involved in trying to explain this but if you don't have the basics figured out you are two steps behind to begin.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

You got it PG,

If I only had one draw to worry about, I would walk in and turn so that I had a crosswind paralleling away from the draw and call crosswind but in this case, I would end up pulling a coyote out of the other draw right behind me and getting winded. By walking in with the wind at my back and wedging myself between the two draws anything in either one has to come out in the open below me to catch my wind but they will cross 200+yards of open before they hit my scent cone. Its a great stand but I have to wait for almost a dead straight west wind to call it. Any other way(N/NW/S/SW...East would put them behind me) and one of the draws is blown. Its been a dang good stand to me so if it aint broke......well?????

Jaybic
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

jaybic wrote: Its been a dang good stand to me so if it aint broke......well?????

Jaybic
I agree. That example that I said of the single I shot while calling WITH the wind was at a stand where they can approach from about 3 different directions. It is a big brushy draw. It is a stand that Papapete and I stumbled across this winter. I have called it 3 times since Christmas and each time have called in a nice big male with an awesome pelt. 3 for 3 ain't bad huh? You just have to try it and see what happens.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Ended a 6-7 day dry spell by wrapping around a huge hill that I wanted to call the downwind side of.No way to get there otherwise except wide open across the lake.Figured,appears correctly,the wind would carry my scent up and wayyyy over anything in the brush on the other side.Then when Wiley came peeking around the hillside to see who was challenging him I'm sure he felt he 'had the wind'.He reaped the whirlwind.(50 gr nasty tip at 4300)
Unrelated point on late season patience.On my 3rd set I gave two howls,then nothing for 15 minutes.Gave a single howl and waited about 10 minutes.Just going to leave but decided to thoroughly glass everything first.Saw a yote about 3/4s of a mile away angling downhill sort of toward me.Figured no way he heard me in that wind but watched him.Could see it was breaking through and having a tough time in the basin below the hill and finally it just sat down.I howled and it immediately started toward me so forget the 'couldn't hear me' idea.Maybe 20 minutes later its about 700 yds from me but across a very badly drifted strip of unpicked corn.Its stopping every so often but always looking my way.Was just gonna howl again when I see another one coming in the first ones trail.Now the nerves start.To shorten this,no matter what I did,they(had joined up by now)would not cross that drifted strip.They'd start,break through,then slide sideways down the strip sort of in my direction.
I ranged the end(317 yds)and waited.When they got there both stopped.By now I'm shaking,nerves and COLD(wasn't dressed for sitting this long)and decided to howl once more.Mistake.Both stood up and one started walking away.I popped the standing one,missed the second as it ducked back into the corn.Tried Ki Yi ing but game over.Couple messages here I think but one for sure=Patience pays.One advantage of being old,its easier to sit longer. :D
Good hunting!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Good story!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tbush
coyotehunter