shooting stick snow shoes

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tbush
coyotehunter

shooting stick snow shoes

Post by Tbush »

finally found what I hope will hold up in the cold weather and deep snow, I was so pissed at my stix sinking in the snow and having to lean odd ways just to shoot.........What do you think $29.99 to much :lol: :lol: I would'nt have had to put the casturation band on as they fit tight already :D
Attachments
004edit.jpg
003edit.jpg
a proud member of the "IF" team
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: shooting stick snow shoes

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Now there is a thinking man!!!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Terry your the man!!! LOL :lol:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

That looks good I might have to try that. On saturday I had to shoot off the knee at two coyotes because my bipod would sink too far in the snow even when FULLY extended!!! I did manage to shoot two coyotes though. I will give that half tennis balls a shot I think.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Sweet-and I bet they match your shoes in color as well! :lol: If nothing else,suppose your rifle can now walk home on its own. :lol:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Love the innovation Tbush :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Tbush

I stole your idea and cut some tennis balls to fit my bipod. Gonna give them the test on the next hunt. I may make some for my shooting sticks too. Quite a cheap experiment I got 3 tennis balls for $1.36!
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Just wanted to let you all know these things have been wonderful, I normaly use a longer set of sticks in the winter but do not need to with these on :D At the balta hunt we had a pair coming across wide open grnd to my left right to Brian and when I told Brian to shoot the close one I picked up my gun and moved it, set it down, looked in the scope and shot the far one and it never sunk at all. :D :D a few days before I came up with the tennis ball idea I was on a triple and had to bend down and sideways to even see thru the scope and well that sucked. :x so for you guys that have trouble with sinking sticks give it a try :D
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

tbush,
After I saw your setup then laughed at Fallguys setup, I decided to do the same thing. I took my Harris apart drilled a hole in the tennis balls then proceeded with a few choice swear words while trying to get my bipod back together. All said and done they work great on snow. I found that they have a bit of bounce to them that I didn't like. I showed Barebackjack my predicament and without missing a beat he said just cut slits on the sides so they flatten out giving you even more flotation. Now they really work well.

Nice work tbush

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Thats a great idea and I bet those furry tennis balls will hold white spray paint really well!!!

Great idea Tbush :D
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I got a little tidbit for you> Why not just use the whole tennis ball, and only cut a hole on one side of it for the bi-pod leg to go into.. :mrgreen:
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

tryed that...then they slip if your on any ice. with the leg sticking through you can pull up the ball and have 1-8 in. of leg to prevent slipping and still stay on top of the snow :D
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Tim Anderson wrote:I got a little tidbit for you> Why not just use the whole tennis ball, and only cut a hole on one side of it for the bi-pod leg to go into.. :mrgreen:
Also when you cut a tennis ball in half, you are displacing the weight over a bigger surface area, thus resulting in the ability to stay on top of deep snow better.
Chris Lyon

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Same effect by useing the whole ball, which will make it ride more on top of the snow, but i guess ice is a problem in some places..

I used to use a strap on my bi-pods to keep them on top of the snow..
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Tim Anderson wrote:Same effect by useing the whole ball, which will make it ride more on top of the snow, but i guess ice is a problem in some places..

I used to use a strap on my bi-pods to keep them on top of the snow..

I dont want to be an ass TA but its not the same effect. A tennis ball is round and if place it in the snow it has a very small point of impact on the snow thus not displacing weight very well. It is concentrated to the small point of impact. If the ball is cut in half that surface area in which the balls touches the snow is far greater. It would be like waling on a thin sheet of ice on a lake with just your boots versus using a sheet of plywood. Not to that extent but the same concept.
Chris Lyon