painting a stock.

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

painting a stock.

Post by bucksnbears »

hey guys. 1shooter is interested in painting the stock of his new rifle and wanted to know how i do it as i don't like looking at a black plastic stock.i usually just sand lightly with fine sandpaper and than wash it so the dust is off. than i just spray paint it with a plastic primer than color of choice. i normally use the krylon flat camo in tan. well today i was at menards and seen some textured spray paint. (supposed to look like granite and althoughit was 8 $ a can i bought one in kinda a granite gray. its made by rustolium. so i got home and dismantled my new .280 and gave it a new paint job. i liked it so muck i redid Denises new 22-250. WOW, is this stuff great. dries really hard and seems to be very durable. i even did the scope on ]DenisesImageImage
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: painting a stock.

Post by lyonch »

Great job Bucks!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

have to chack it out just painted my tournament gun white a couple weeks ago tryed to post put site won't let me??? :cry: Your gun looks great :D
a proud member of the "IF" team
Critrgtr
coyotehunter

Post by Critrgtr »

The gun looks very good. I have been thinking about doing that to but I was wondering where you grab it a lot does the paint start to wear off or does it hold pretty good. Also do you do any kind of a clearcoat on them too?
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

critter, where i grab the gun has shown no sign of losing paint so far. i'm basing this off of my 2 year old 22-250 that i use alot and do not baby it at all. i won't know about this new gritty stuff but it sure seems durable..
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

just got the new rifle put together. i'm real happy with how it turned out and how well the gritty paint hardened. makes a 200 $ gun look like a custom built ImageImageImage
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Looks good bucks!!! The only place I had issuse with my painted guns, has been the end of the barrel. Seems like the truck carpet wears it off the crown easy. To much truck time and not enough feild time maybe. But I also leave the gun it the truck 85% of the time, never know when you need it.............
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

one way to fix that problem Optimax is to point the barrel up, the muzzle crown is one of the most important points on the gun, why jeopardize it getting dinged with a rock or other crap floating around the truck. I hate seeing the muzzle on the floor of a truck, carpet or not. If the crown gets messed up, your accuracy will go out the window.

Nice paint bucks!

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

wow nice work bucks! looks sharp, maybe this summer you can do mine for a few schmittys!!! :D
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

LeviM wrote:wow nice work bucks! looks sharp, maybe this summer you can do mine for a few schmittys!!! :D
will do. should i have the schmitties before or after i start :lol:
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

bucksnbears wrote:
LeviM wrote:wow nice work bucks! looks sharp, maybe this summer you can do mine for a few schmittys!!! :D
will do. should i have the schmitties before or after i start :lol:
LOl

I will be there to help, so we will have schmitties before, during and after!!!! :? :D
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

it's done. now it needs a bit of red on it Image
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

wow did that piant stick to your shell holder pretty well??
a proud member of the "IF" team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

now grab a sharpie and place a few lines in there to break everything up :wink: Thats just my personal opinion though. Great job on the paint job Bucks!!! Come spring my rig is getting a face lift :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

naw leave it alone, it's completely white out, it's got enough contrast already. Maybe spring through fall you may want to shoot a bit of green on it, but it looks good. Hell my winter gun isn't white, but they are only seeing the scope and the muzzle. It looks good. I do like the sandy texture that the paint has, I've used the textured paint on a bunch of things, you'll like it.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini