Gun cleaning solutions/chemicals

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Gun cleaning solutions/chemicals

Post by lyonch »

Post what you guys are currently using to remove both carbon fouling and copper build up in your barrells. I have been using mainly Hoppe's stuff lately, but plan on trying "Sweets" when i run out as a copper remover.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: Gun cleaning solutions/chemicals

Post by bucksnbears »

iu use the foaming stuff followed by barnes cleaner. when i'm all done i go through with clean patches soaked in brake cleaner
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Butches Boreshine, best stuff I ever used but if you are shooting a factory barrel, JB bore paste will do a great job cleaning it up and will also help smooth out a rough throat for the guys that load max loads and tear the throat up(ME!)

Jaybic
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

bucksnbears wrote:iu use the foaming stuff followed by barnes cleaner. when i'm all done i go through with clean patches soaked in brake cleaner

BnB are you putting a oil lubed patch through the barrell after that brake cleaner? I know that stuff is nasty and really dries the steel out.
Chris Lyon

xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I use Shooters Choice. it doesn't have the harsh ammonia smell and does just as good a job. I've looked down my barrel with a buddies bore scope and it does a very good job. I've also been hooked on Montana Xtreme, that's another one that does a good job.

A tip on the break cleaner is you can cut the ammonia with rubbing alcohol and it's cheaper. Then push a dry patch through to wick up the extra alcohol, then run a oil patch through, then another dry patch right before you shoot or before you go out calling. The extra oil in the barrel tends to throw the first couple of shots off just a bit because it has to burn off the oil and causes a pressure change in the barrel. Before I shoot a match i'll run another couple alcohol patches through then a few dry patches so i don't deal with the alcohol or the oil.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Here is an intresting (supposet to be an un-bias report) i stumbled across yesterday. It talks about what his testing has shown for several different products.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm
Chris Lyon

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Chris, no i don't use any oil in the bore. never have. brake cleaner dries very fast so i can't see how it would hurt the barrel. after i clean my rifles i run a loose fitted patch with brake cleaner than i tight fitting patch. never had an issue with barrel damage. you gotta be careful not to get any on a plastic stock though. i also use brake cleaner to spray down all my bruschs and jags and cleaning rods.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

No one product does it all. When cleaning a rifle bore (to bare metal bore surface) the following 3 considerations must be recognized:

1) Removing Carbon is the first in order.
All carbon removers work for this. My favorite is Shooter's Choice Extreme ($10 spray can w/ nozzle) because it's clean and easy (no brush scrubbing, no stink)/ no mess. A couple short bursts, let sit a few minutes, push out with patches. Repeat if needed.

2) Removing 90% of Copper, any remaining carbon, moly/grease... All but bonded copper.
The coolest product you can own is WIPEOUT ($10). It's another spray can with nozzle that shoots a thin, shaving cream-like foam that fills the bore (no brush scrubbing, no stink). To prevent drying out while in muzzle, lightly plug chamber & muzzle with patches or Q-tips and leave in for 12 or so hours. This will clean out everything but the last clingings of stubborn copper.

3) Removing remaining 10% of Stubborn Copper.
Though any of the high ammonia/ no nonsense copper removers are capable, I use CR-10 because $3 per one little 2 oz bottle is compact and goes a long way (vs. others at $10 minimum). After WIPEOUT, run a couple of very wet patches of CR-10 down the bore and let sit for 15 minutes (no brush scrubbing needed, first whiff will remove paint from your eyeballs), then 3 or 4 dry patches to dry out bore.

Note: I personally run a few wet patches soaked in H2O at this point to neutralize any of the remaining chemicals, then dry out with patches. Then will run a patch of any lubricating oil if I'm going to store the rifle for more than a month without shooting.

I have a step-by-step file I wrote on this - Anyone welcome to PM if interested.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I use Butchs bore shine and Montana extreme and also shooters choice for barrel break in. For carbon I use a mixture of shooters choice and Kroil. When finished cleaning barrel I run a few patches of windex through the barrel followed with a few dry patches.
When cleaning the barrel I leave it wet with solvent the whole time, 2-3 wet patches then followed with a copper brush with one stroke for each shot fired then 3-4 wet patches and repeat till patches are clean after the brass brush has been run down the barrel..

I also use slip 2000 from time to time for removeing carbon..

Sweets is pretty aggressive and I will only use it to check to see if the other solvents are doing what they are suppose to do...
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Sittin here waiting for the dam wind to go down so can fish and read this.I started sweeping,running errands,and being a 'fetch it' kid in a gun shop about 57 years ago.From then on I'd say I've been exposed to most every 'cleaning solution' tried by man(USMC included).While it hurts to admit this to him,I'd say Pilgrims cheat sheet technique is about the quickest/best I've used.I'd consider taking him up on his offer.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I use GM Top Engine cleaner and a bore brush.................couple of dry patches when I am done. Use to be able to buy 15 ounces for about $8 a can. Same stuff as butches bore shine..............just a whole lot cheaper. Fastest easiest way to get it done. Learned it from a friend who worked for HS percision shooting there guns all day working up loads. I do not have time to let guns sit around for hours and days waiting for the stuff to work. usely about 120 passes with a new brush does it. couple of passes with a dry patch and I am done.
Coyotes Forever
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

120 passes?????
My god that'd be a full days work for me.
Nowadays though I suppose there's some sort of masturbating machine or something a guy could buy to hook the cleaning rod up to. :shock:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I was in a masturbating contest once................boyscouts.............troop 167...............i came in 1st and 3rd!!
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Coyotehunter wrote:I was in a masturbating contest once................boyscouts.............troop 167...............i came in 1st and 3rd!!
Good God man!!!

I think you ment to post that in the other forum your a member of!!!! :mrgreen:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Coyotehunter wrote:I was in a masturbating contest once................boyscouts.............troop 167...............i came in 1st and 3rd!!
i hope you were in front of some girl scouts :shock: :roll: