CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Pilgrim

CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar

Post by Pilgrim »

CZ527 Varmint Kevlar
CZ ad photo
CZ ad photo
Became interested upon first sight of this rifle about two years ago. Since then, whatever photos or descriptive content I could (or could not) find on the WWW had me scratching my head so have been telling myself all along that if I ever owned a 527 Kevlar that I'd post a review somewhere.

The following is a catagorical summary / photos:

LENGTH & WEIGHT: What distinguishes a 527 from other CZs and most makes is its micro scale action. The difference is the 527's receiver and bolt are scaled to suit the small base .223 Rem/ .22 Hornet/ .222 Rem/ .221 Fireball/ .204 Ruger/ .17 Rem.. My particular CZ527 Varmint Kevlar is .204 Ruger and weighs #7.5.
Length comparison to 700 SA,  both .204R cal, 14" LOP, and 24" barrels.  The CZ bolt is 1" shorter length than a 700 SA bolt while overall is 1.75".
Length comparison to 700 SA, both .204R cal, 14" LOP, and 24" barrels. The CZ bolt is 1" shorter length than a 700 SA bolt while overall is 1.75".
SCOPE BASES/ RINGS, BOLT CLEARANCE: The receiver mounts are 16mm dovetails milled from the receiver. The mount locations allowed me to position a Weaver V16 however forward or rear I wished. Bolt clearance will require some forethought if using objectives larger than 40mm. Though I favor low rings/bases and 40mm or smaller objectives, this rifle requires a bit more scope elevation than most in order to clear the bolt sweep.

Another note is my rifle arrived with what appear to be decent CZ steel rings/bases (high). If price were not a factor, I'd go with Talley aluminums considering they'd shave a few ounces. Since price IS a factor, I bought Warne steel rings (high) @ $40 (Talleys are $80). The Warne rings were perfect with no lapping needed. The bolt clearance is a little better than 1/4" so it seems likely that mediums will clear a 40mm bell.
Clearance photo
Clearance photo
RECEIVER, BOLT, SAFETY: Action is straightforward Mauser style with controlled round feed bolt. Even though the bolt turn is 45 degrees, the bolt handle is long with a pronounced elbow- See "Clearance' photo to note the height of the bolt knob at eyeline. Even so, bolt cycle is short, slick & easy. Keep in mind that the 'micro' bolt is approx an inch shorter than other makes.

Safety is two position and inverse of standard; Up is safe, Down is fire. No big deal to me as long as it's quiet & simple to operate (it is).
Bolt and Magazine
Bolt and Magazine

To Be Continued...
Last edited by Pilgrim on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pilgrim

Re: CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar

Post by Pilgrim »

TRIGGER: This is an outstanding trigger! Adjustments for weight and either side of travel are easy to access, simple and responsive. 5 minutes of trial and error had me at zero travel and a clean snap at #2.5. I also cranked down the set trigger adjustment screw to disable. Two trigger stages and a running coyote are just too much for me to think about.

Unlike all other CZ 527 rifle triggers I've seen (curved), my trigger has a flat face. It's also thin (no shoe). The entire trigger mechanism impresses!
Exposed Receiver, Trigger Mechanism
Exposed Receiver, Trigger Mechanism
TRIGGER GUARD & MAGAZINE BOX: The trigger guard and magazine configuration is smart. The trigger guard is a heavy gauge, all-in-one magazine cavity secured by the two action screws per end. The detachable magazine is a single-stack 5 + 1 with a single tab release. The exposed magazine (vs hidden) and spring-loaded finger tab release combine for quick handling and no possibility of noise when attached. As with most magazines, feeding stiffens as you stack against the box spring. For me, 5 rounds in the magazine compromised the feed reliability. 4 rounds in the mag is OK, 3 or less is a no brainer. Nevertheless, having a 5 round mag appeals considering I can store the chamber round in the magazine when not hunting.
Magazine Cavity
Magazine Cavity
Trigger Guard and Magazine
Trigger Guard and Magazine

BARREL, MUZZLE, BORE: Though the barrel contour is heavy, the taper ends up somewhere between sporter and typical varmint. Muzzle crown is recessed. The bores are cold hammer forged and am told are hand lapped upon production. The .204 barrel length is 24" and twist comes 1 per 12".
Recessed Crown
Recessed Crown
STOCK: The kevlar stocks are built by either HS Precision or Bell & Carlson. Whichever make, my stock's inletting is perfect and also the first stock I've owned or worked on that had zero binding points. The only bearing areas are at the rear tang, behind the recoil lug, and I was surprised to discover that the recoil lug had been bed by a human being. Other than that, the stock is black textured with silver web, beavertail front end, the action screws stop abruptly, and the swelled palm feature is easy to get used to!
Inletting, Aluminum Block.  Note bedding material in lug cavity.
Inletting, Aluminum Block. Note bedding material in lug cavity.

RANGE REPORT: Wicked accurate. After break-in, fired 3-shot groups of 4 random (no testing) bullet loadings (32 NBT, 32VMax, 39SBK, 40 Vmax). All twelve grouped in the same POI. Overlapped, all four group targets measured .6" (12 bullets). Smallest groups @ .25".

OTHER STUFF:
Metal stamp date is Sep 2009 and recoil pad is Pachmayr. I mention considering may help to determine stock manufacturer, explanation for flat face trigger, other unknowns...
Bore did not initially clean up easily so I ran some degreaser through. Whatever CZ puts in the bore for shelf life works!
Rifle package included a paper target stamped "50M" with 3 little bullet holes neatly attached.
Last edited by Pilgrim on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

great detailed post!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Great post and Great Review!!! Is this going to be your go to coyote gun for the upcoming season? It sure sounds like it will be one hell of a shooter :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Chris

Yes, this is a go-to deal. It will be a desperate and/or fatal event that separates me from this one.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Nice report.One final test.Run 5 through fast and see how it feeds from the clip.Some detachables are trouble at times.(Savage,Sako-even Rems in some calibers)
The fact its apparently designed specifically for the cartridge size might alleviate that issue as well.
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

To Dcoy about magazine:

As mentioned in review, my magazine spring is just too loaded at 4 and 5 rounds. I also used a fine emery file on the inside of the mag rails and polished. No matter how slick won't help with 4 or 5 in the mag - Upward resistance becomes too sticky to push easily. Even so, I do plan to buy another magazine soon without expecting to be any better feeding with 4 or 5 in mag.

We (me, not kids) were shooting clay targets on a mental stop watch set random 250 to 330 this past weekend. Faster cycling with one in chamber and 3 in mag feeding seems pretty bombproof. Keep in mind that the CZ is a single-stack vs all other makes being staggered. Also, the .204's shape doesn't present any hang-up difficulties.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I own the same rifle but in a wood stock and it's my faviorat gun that i've ever owned or shot. I just don't use it quite as much anymore due to different reasons behind my coyote hunting

Are you looking to get published that is a hell of a review for just the coyotehunter guys. Sounds like you put some time into it.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I would think VHA or gun tests would publish that review. good photos and lots of details.
Coyotes Forever
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Glad you guys like the review. At this point I've developed too strong a bias in favor of this rifle to avoid not sounding like an advertorial. We'll just leave the post as-it-is to preserve whatever objectivity I had left a couple weeks ago.

Will add that whenever we examine stuff like rifles, or a story, pickup trucks, a Universe, bullets,... think in terms of the maker's intent. I'll just say that my preferences in a coyote rifle agree with the mind behind the 527. The 527 conversation begins and ends with the mini-scaled action. Apart from that, once we jump from the small base centerfires it becomes an open playing field of action makes. Like as for my stuff, anything 'larger' base .22 centerfire or bigger will likely have a 700 stamped somewhere. That's another discussion.