Surface Rust on Matte Finish Rifles

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

kflan22
coyotehunter

Surface Rust on Matte Finish Rifles

Post by kflan22 »

Has anyone had problems with surface rust on their matte finish rifles? I have a Remingon SPS Tactical that's finish seems to be more of a rust attractant than rust resistant. 1/2 a day in a vehicle and the bolt handle is brown with surface rust. It is really starting to tick me off. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Tbush
coyotehunter

Re: Surface Rust on Matte Finish Rifles

Post by Tbush »

Ya not the greatest stuff I have a couple SG's like that, I just painted them and no more rust problems :shock:
a proud member of the "IF" team
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i feel your pain. mine to. i don't care if my guns get dinged, battered but i don't like rust
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

I agree, paint them up and be done with the hassel... Or get a polished rifle that might be a little less mantaince.....
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Kflan22

I recognize the same with matte black finishes, and it's not exclusive to Remington.

Even a simple wiping will produce a brown color on a clean rag. Fortunately, it's very minor and easily removed. Painting the metal finish (or real Parker etching) is my best suggestion for moly steel. Fighting the rust caused me to start painting my non-stainless rifles with Duracoat on at least the barrel surface and bolt handle. Look me up if interested in Duracoat- I've done a bunch now (enough to assure the gravest cancer) and able to do paint 3 or 4 rifles for under $22 including the cost of a PreVal spray kit.

A remedy for the rust appearing on the bolt knob (or to a greater degree anywhere) is 0000 steel wool and WD40. Spray spot with WD40, add a light touch with the steel wool and the rust should vanish without damaging the matte finish.

Best results I've come up with when dealing with matte finishes is to use super light penetrating oils like Kroil and Sea Foam Deep Creep (penetrating oil, not the fuel additive). Minimized reccurance for my stuff, anyway.
kflan22
coyotehunter

Post by kflan22 »

Thanks for the replies guys. I will look into all the options mentioned and make a decision from there. This would be easier if the rifle didn't shoot so dang well. Thanks again.

Keaton
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I have used the product called "flitz" for all my rust problems so far. You can purchase it any local sporting good store in the gun cleaning section.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I would paint the gun and be done with surface rust
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"