Wool

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

blake
coyotehunter

Wool

Post by blake »

My dad has some sleeping indian wool and it blends it real well.

Does anyone else use wool for camo?

Stuff stinks when it gets wet but seems to be silent and warm.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Wool

Post by lyonch »

i personally do not use wool. I prefer the kings camo line of clothes when it comes to warmth. with todays technology, they can make materials lighter and warmer than wool. A lot of it has to do with breath ability though too. I think wool will breath a lot better than today's materials as well. I think they both have there plus and minuses.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

How heavy is wool? I sweat like a fat kid on a good day, I dont know if I want the added extra pounds. I too wear the kings line, and my snow camo does not breathe at all, so at the end of the day I have sweat rings around my boobs!!! LOL
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
blake
coyotehunter

Post by blake »

I spent about 3 hours lastnight on the phone with the owner of Sleeping Indian in Jackson Hole WY (Ted), he claims you will not sweat in his products if you wear a poly-liner. I hate sweating, so this was a plus. He said because wool is from nature, it is designed to breath. Unlike factory built garmints. I think the reason people sweat in Kings is because they do not wear polypro liners, and the jacket or pant does not breath as well.

He can also custom build a pant to your dimensions, including leg zippers, pockets, etc.

Pricey stuff though. The way I see it, you buy this stuff for life. King of the Mountain is even worse.
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

I just wrote a couple paragraphs on this and my post dissappeared. (Ran out of time?)

No one material solves everything, but wool is superior as the Sleeping Indian guy is well aware.

Unless you're built like a woman, problem for you & me is absence of white wool offerings - Essentially not existent in men's retail.

If willing to consider custom white stuff, look to Jeff at Gray Wolf Woolens. He also knows a little about big whitetails.

Dcoy has great knowledge of this sort of thing. Uncompromising to the point to where no division exists between men's and women's apparrel.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I've worn wool for years. It stays warm even when wet unlike that kings line. ;) So if you were to fall into water you'll still be warmer. I wear either a poly liner or a silk liner, much lighter and it keep the moisture off your skin. Then i'll wear my heavy stuff over my wool depending on how cold it is out. Wool has been used for centuries they must know something.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

i have a pair of wool pants that i love. they are light gray instead of kings camo. and they are a little heavier then the new camo. but they only cost $20 from an army surplus store. a guy cant argue with that. they are definalty warm. i just wear them over regular pants. or pants with longjohns if it is way way cold.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I love wool and if i could afford it i would have a full wool pants and wool jacket to wear. Saying that i can not attest to how bad it sweats but silk or poly should solve a lot of that problem. I have wool cowboy hats, stormy hats, vests and love them all. The availibilty of camo isn't much but as far as wool as a garment i'm sold.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

LeviM wrote:How heavy is wool? I sweat like a fat kid on a good day, I dont know if I want the added extra pounds. I too wear the kings line, and my snow camo does not breathe at all, so at the end of the day I have sweat rings around my boobs!!! LOL
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ..........................................breath :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

Levi i have the same problem trust me buddy its not the clothes :D
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

devildogg wrote:Levi i have the same problem trust me buddy its not the clothes :D
LOL. Its not!!!! what could it be???? :mrgreen: :lol:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Wool also has natural scent eliminating abilities. That lanolin in there is some neat stuff.

I love my wool. The ONLY thing that will keep me on stand late season bowhunting when all the other pansys are sitting at home watching football!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I do not like the wool outergarments because of all the ice and snow build up thorugh out the day. when I am getting in and out of the truck everything melts and freezes. I have to about chisel it off at the end of the day. I do wear wool vests and love those.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Wool is great if sitting in a tree stand or on the ice when ice-fishing, but I find it to be to heavy and bulky for the type of hunting I do. I like to be comfortable and able to move freely when out hunting thats why I prefer the space-age clothes over wool...