Range Finders

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Range Finders

Post by Coyotehunter »

the laser is the big difference in the price range. the less expensive units have a weaker laxer that the cone is bigger down range. you do not always pick up smaller objects witht he cheaper units. you pick up the big stuff behind the object you are ranging.
Coyotes Forever
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

To Chris & Levi:

I exchanged posts with Opti several months ago on his experience with a Leica CRF on snow. Is Chris having the same experience where able to easily range distances on coyote-size objects on snow past 400 yards?

To what degree does Levi's Leupold work on snowscape? Same, less?

Reason I ask is I'm seeing ad for new CRF 800 for $399. I'd buy now but want to be closer to snow time to learn whether it works reliably or not.

Thanks.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Pilgrim i can not honestly say one was better than the other in the snow. I found myself trying to range objects next to the coyote instead of the coyote itself once it was past 400 yards. In the plain flat white snow it is a real bear to range something. the farthest coyote i shot last season at a touch over 400 yards was curled up in a ball sleeping on a snow drift. I had to click the range finder about 15 times before it gave me any reading at all. Levi and i have tested our rangfinders against each other while it was snowing out and his did out perform my lecia when we were ranging a old abandoned building at 260 yards. It was snowing really heavy and even levi's struggled to get a reading but was able to get one. I would reasearch the size of the beam on the output of the different rangefinders. the smaller the better. The deal you have come across seems like a good one. As far as size and weight goes, i would have to say they are about equal. If you want more bells and wistles and a rangefinder that can do a ton of different things, i would look at the rangefinder levi has. If you want something that just ranges and has a reputation behind it, then i would get a leica. I hope this helps.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Chris is right, they were both equal (leupold vs Leica) There were times chris could range things easier than I could, and at time I could range better than his. I was kind of disappointed in both when it came to ranging a coyote in the snow. For the price tag of both units you would think they would produce better. A cheap range finder can range well enough in the fall when theres no snow. I kind of expected a higher price unit could do better in the winter
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Thanks, Chris & Levi.

If I do buy a CRF am going to wait until there's snow on the ground. If it's no better than my Nikon I'll return.

Still trying to figure out how (why) some claim the CRF has no trouble on snow, next guy says otherwise... :?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I own both and the Leica is on every stand, the Leupold is in the safe ...at the house.......... were it is safe from me chucking it out the window of the truck.
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Coyotehunter wrote: were it is safe from me chucking it out the window of the truck.
I can see it already. you would chuck it out the window and your dog will go retrieve it for you :lol: :lol:
Chris Lyon

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I'm on my second Leupold RX III or IV can't remember and it's junk hands down.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Prairie Ghost wrote:I'm on my second Leupold RX III or IV can't remember and it's junk hands down.

Have you tried the RX-1000???

Im on my second year with mine, I LOVE it.

I was comparing it to my buddies Leica CRF 1000 side by side, and the Leupy was able to get a few readings the Leica wouldnt, not many, but a handful. All in all they were pretty comparable though. (and the leup is almost half the cost of the Leica 1000).

The thing I really like about the leup is the readout is adjustable. I use it for bowhunting too, and those leica readouts can downright blind a guy in low light periods. The leupy can turn down real low, and turn up pretty high for say sunny days on snow. The thing I DONT like about the leupold, is its kind of cold blooded. I used to have a "cheap" Bushnell scout that I could lay on the snow at -20 degrees and it would work every time. If I dont keep the leupy inside my jacket and its much colder than 15-20 above......she's not gonna like it.

All I know is I will NEVER own another rangefinder that doesn't use a LED readout. That should be standard.

Leica makes a great rangefinder, dont get me wrong, I just dont think their equivalent to the Leupy RX 1000 is worth the extra $200-$300.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

You need to keep in mind that the lazer for a range finder can only be so strong. There are laws in place that only allow a company to make them so strong. The high dollar Leca and Leupold most likely have the same lazer power its just one or the other has better glass or more bells and whistles.. I found for rangeing on snow at longer distance you need to bounce the lazer off of a snow drift that has a side almost straight up and down, and smooth surface..
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

I didn't know Leica made a 1000 yard model... And I would bet that the leica will outpreform the lupy any day hands down, in the exact test... Same guy useing it from the same stand at the same target!!!

How many times is the guy holding it, that is shaking like a crack whore, and cant get a reading and then say this damn range finder :roll: We put the blame on the product not that fact that we may not be using them correctly........ Just saying......
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Optimax90 wrote:I didn't know Leica made a 1000 yard model... And I would bet that the leica will outpreform the lupy any day hands down, in the exact test... Same guy useing it from the same stand at the same target!!!
I would take you up on the bet any day. We have done the test a good handfull of time!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

LeviM wrote:
Optimax90 wrote:I didn't know Leica made a 1000 yard model... And I would bet that the leica will outpreform the lupy any day hands down, in the exact test... Same guy useing it from the same stand at the same target!!!
I would take you up on the bet any day. We have done the test a good handfull of time!

Opti i think you will be eating crow on this one fella :wink: Levi and i have done this test a few times, and they are about as equal as you can get. On another note, we only did these tests in the snow, not in the fall months.
Chris Lyon

barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

How many times is the guy holding it, that is shaking like a crack whore, and cant get a reading and then say this damn range finder :roll: We put the blame on the product not that fact that we may not be using them correctly........ Just saying......
CRF 1000 Leica
http://us.leica-camera.com/sport_optics ... /crf_1000/

And thats EXACTLY how I tested em too. Laying prone, good stable rest, zapping targets mere seconds apart, same conditions, same targets. I hit hay bales, rocks, cliff faces, trees, deer, you name it.

Like I said, the leup was able to zap a couple targets the leica couldnt, im talking a handful out of hundreds over the weekend. Maybe half a dozen targets.

Nothing wrong with leica, but I dont believe when compared model for model (at least in the 1000 yard models) that its $200 better than a leupold. I believe theyre pretty much a horse apiece with an ever so slight edge to the leupy.

That being said, a buddy of mine has had problems with two CRF 1200s now. Luckily Leica's CS is pretty decent. It should be for what they cost though.
blake
coyotehunter

Post by blake »

I looked for a nice one and settled on the CRF 1200, now I see they have a 1600 model. Also, if you really wanna drop some money look at www.gunwerks.com. They have a new range finder that takes into account incline and temperature. $1,500 and there is a waiting list.