Zeiss range finder

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

jaybic
coyotehunter

Zeiss range finder

Post by jaybic »

Hey fellas,
Not to be a topic to death but in talking of range finders, does any one have any experience with the Zeiss rangefinders? Not the binos but just the Zeiss rangefinder? I have a Leupold and I just dont believe it is doing the job it should and as soon as the season is over, its going down the road in favor of a Leica, Swarovski(heard very good things so far) or a Zeiss.

All opinions welcome. :D

Jaybic
xdeano
coyotehunter

Re: Zeiss range finder

Post by xdeano »

if you're looking at the Leica or Swaro, don't even bother with the Zeiss. Both the Leica and Swaro are proven long range range finders that are very precise. Don't waste your money man, buy once cry once!

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Thanks Xdeano.

I got no heartache spending money but here is where things kinda fall apart. I want a rangefinder that will pick up a bedded(or moving) coyote at at least 600 yards. Maybe I am asking too much but when guys with geovids are picking up trees at 1500 yards(see other rangefinder post) I dont think its unreasonable to be able to pick up a coyote at 500-700 yards with a rangefinder that says right on the box that it will range to 1500yds. I realize that this is optimal conditions but still!!!

I am working on my long-range shooting which I know you do a lot of and if I cant get a range on him, its awful hard to dial or hold to kill him. Hell, I dont know, maybe I am asking too much but why dump the Leupy if the Leica is no better. Pretty much just trying to buy something that will live up to what it says on the outside of the box it came in and I got no issues with spending the money but it damn sure should work like they claim it will. Maybe BNB is right and they're all junk on snow.

Thanks again. :D

Jaybic
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Jaybic;
I saw your post and walked outside and got my crf 1200 out of my truck. I measured a cottonwood stump in the half mile line at 592 yds, a small rise out in the field at 1090+ yds, and my neighbors grove at 1200+yds. I don't know if that's good or bad but it's good enough for me. The main problem I have is holding the little bastard steady enough for it to work. It's really light. Good luck with your search.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

jaybic wrote:Thanks Xdeano.

I got no heartache spending money but here is where things kinda fall apart. I want a rangefinder that will pick up a bedded(or moving) coyote at at least 600 yards. Maybe I am asking too much but when guys with geovids are picking up trees at 1500 yards(see other rangefinder post) I dont think its unreasonable to be able to pick up a coyote at 500-700 yards with a rangefinder that says right on the box that it will range to 1500yds. I realize that this is optimal conditions but still!!!

I am working on my long-range shooting which I know you do a lot of and if I cant get a range on him, its awful hard to dial or hold to kill him. Hell, I dont know, maybe I am asking too much but why dump the Leupy if the Leica is no better. Pretty much just trying to buy something that will live up to what it says on the outside of the box it came in and I got no issues with spending the money but it damn sure should work like they claim it will. Maybe BNB is right and they're all junk on snow.

Thanks again. :D

Jaybic
After seeing a buddy go through several issues with Leica, I dont think ill ever own one.

Ive yet to have a problem with my rx1000, it has always worked well (within reason) in its prescribed range.

Ive used some pretty spendy units ($20,000+), and even those didnt range 100% of the targets in 100% of the conditions 100% of the time. Mechanical devices all have limitations.

I have a big problem completely relying on ANYTHING mechanical. Thats why its important to have a backup (Murphys rules of combat tell us, if it can go wrong, it will). I have a mil based reticle, and im not afraid to use it if need be as a ranging device.
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

Im agree with bareback i have a rx100 leupold and for the last couple weeks ive been cussing it out it wasnt giving me readings but the battery light was down to the last bar. i couldnt get one in town so i just suffered with it for a while and my wife finally got to town and picked one up and wow what a difference it made i was about ready to throw it out the window now it works awsome been trying it out the window of my house on plain whit snow and been getting readings out to about 550 to 600 on the first click. For the money this is a great little range finder for myself i cant shoot as far as it is giving me ranges so im very happy with it. if you can shoot that far or farther then you might want to get a diffferent one but in the fall it works a lot better i have gotten ranges with it at over 1100yds 700-800 no problem.
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

Hey jaybic check out the G7 br2 range finder this is the real deal and if money isnt a problem this is the one for you 3000yd max range super spendy though $1500