Under Armor

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

jaybic
coyotehunter

Under Armor

Post by jaybic »

Hey fellas,

I am looking to get a better layering system. I got all the high speed, low drag fancy outerwear but was thinking about looking into this Underarmor stuff but its SPENDY and before I go replacing my old white dimpled longjohns that dont really help out, I figured I would ask on here if anybody is using that stuff(1.2 or 2.0 or 2.5 or 3.0....no idea what to buy for coyote calling/hunting purposes) and see what bottom line is. Is that stuff worth it? all opinions and suggestions welcome.....

Thanks guys,

Jaybic
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Under Armor

Post by Tim Anderson »

I have a pr. of bottoms and a few shirts I like them but I can't say they are any better than the old long johns... The difference in them vrs. long johns is thinner material so you have less bulk when layering your clothes and less weight.. I like that!
When wearing either one I still get hot or sweaty from long walks but with the under armor the wet-ness seems to leave alot sooner..
I don't suggest going out and buying a whole box of them but instead just get one set and try them out and see if you like them or not..
Sometimes I mix mine when I get dressed under armor for a shirt and long johns for pants or the other way around alot also depends on what type of hunting I will be doing or what time of the day and night along with what the temp. and wind willbe doing..
Another thing you may want to look at is outer pants, I have a pair I bought in the ski department, they are not insulated but wind/water proof and alot of times thats all you need to stay warmer on the windy days along with some under armor or long johns..
When it comes to hunting in the winter months I want clothes and boots that are the lightest I can find and also warm. As for durability I don't worry about as long as I can get through one season with them...
For boots I go through one or two pr. a season as I buy the lightest and warmest I can find, I do have a heavier pr. I use for back up or when the temp.s really drop and I'm going to spend alot of time on the ATV or makeing night calling stands..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

The underarmor brand name is 90% of the cost on that stuff. Lots of companies sell the same material and at a fraction of the cost.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Yep and if you check out the sporting good stores around spring time you can get some good deals on the stuff.. Thats how I got into it....
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

Go merino wool i love mine you can wear it forever it never stinks it's spendy but when your soaked in sweat it drys super fast and is still warm. My hunting partner loves his also he has underarmor too but way prefers his merino wool
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

I am with ya tim, I wear pretty much the lightest water/wind proof gear I can find because I hate the bundled up feeling and the loss of mobility that comes with it. Just more work to drag extra shit around to and from stands so I was hoping to go with something more than Ljs and sweatpants/shirts and buy some quality stuff. anyone know the "offbrand" equivalent of UA? Its been my experience that if a guy has quality stuff underneath and layers correctly, he wont need that superduty, heavyweight wonder coat and can go with just a gore-tex shell style pants and jacket and stay just as warm. I just need to find better base layering.....
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

Check out merino wool it's lighter and less bulky than ua
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Jaybic the name on one of my shirts is warrior wear by Black hawk and the bottoms just have Cabela's name on them and some UA...
At one time I even wore silk L-J that got the job down...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I am using Terramar and have been real happy with it.
Coyotes Forever
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

is this merino wool like long underwear/baselayer type stuff? I already have good quality/lightweight outerwear. thanks for the ideas guys!
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

Yes it is a base layer there is absolutely no itch it is soft and super comfortable. Check out sierra trading post they have a bunch of it on sale right now.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I've got a set of "Marmot" type base layer same as UA $20 a top and $20 for the bottom at TG MAX. AbsoulutIy love it!!!. I have heard nothing but incredible things about the Merino Wool though just can't get myself to spend the money yet.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

DevilDogg, you scratch your self to much the way it is without having to wear wool :shock:
i've got some UA stuff and a few other off-shoot brand and really can't tell the differance beween them.

p.s. if you get into a routine to spray your feet each morning with (right guard), you'll be suprised at how dry your feet will be at the end of the day :idea:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
NickNielsen

Post by NickNielsen »

I have under armour compression stuff and don't like it at all. It's too tight and constricting. The UA base layer is pretty good stuff but don't buy the compression type. Merino is my next purchase.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Two words....merino wool. Worth EVERY penny (hint, buy it in the spring).

I had a bunch of UA from when I was in the service, I HATE that stuff. First time I wore it on a treestand I thought I was gonna die. It wicks moisture away well, but it also wicks wind right down to your skin! Plus the compression fit bothers me. Stinks to high heaven too if you're sweating. Its designed for "go go go" activities, which hunting rarely is.

Ive worn merino wools for four days straight on back country bow hunts (September, freeze your ass off in the morning, sweatin' balls by mid afternoon), they're a bit ripe, but nothing like the synthetics will be.

I wear merino tops and bottoms, merino socks, and even got a couple pair of merino boxers. Man just cant top the natural fibers!

And when it gets COLD type cold, I wear wool outer layers for "sittin" type hunting, and stay toasty warm even when wet.