.223 over 12 gauge combo

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

ridgerunner

.223 over 12 gauge combo

Post by ridgerunner »

Hello from Central Illinois- I'm new to this site. I need some advice. When I'm out by myself it seems I always have the wrong gun. I've pondered over the issue of buying a combo gun. Yes I have carried both guns in the field and I think its the biggest pain in the world. Does anyone out there have a combo or know someone that has one? I need feedback-good or bad. Savage has one for $600 remington has one for $550 but it has the double trigger which i do not care for. [/list]
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have carried both for years. I do not think there is a wrong answer here but for me I have a few custom rifles and like carring the benilli automatic. I think it would be really tough to replace those two guns for the combo.
Coyotes Forever
ridgerunner

Post by ridgerunner »

Coyote Hunter- I carry a Savage 22-250 (bull barrel) and/or Browning A-5 loaded with #4 copper plated buck-shot. My 22-250 is on a bipod, and when I have taken my 12 along I laid it across my lap. I saw a video where their shotguns were on mono pods. How do you postion your shotgun? Thanks
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I like to set the rifle in the down wind vicinity if its a cross wind and the rifle's butt always is touching me wether it be my hip or one of my arms. The shotgun i set on my lap between my legs. My reason behind this is that if they come down wind to try to wind me in which 90% of th etime they do my rifle is ready. If they come straight at me or up wind they seem to usually come hard and come in shotgun range where you can wack em right out front.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

im sorry i just read your first question now and it sounds like you are asking about an over under combination. A .223 on top with a 12 gauge shotgun on the bottom. I shot my first deer when i was kid with a combo similar to that. the only problem is that if you were to scope it, it would be hard to find them when they are close in the scope when you wanna get with the shotgun. Both manufacturers are good gun makers and have been around for a while.
Chris Lyon

ridgerunner

Post by ridgerunner »

I thought of the same thing. italked to the local gun shop owner and he said to use "hi-jacker" scope rings so I can use the open sites for the shotgun
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Yeah that is one way of fixing that. I just personally prefer to have both my shotgun and rifle on stand with me for quick easy follow up shots and im not fumbling shells around in the snow as the coyote is running away(we all know i miss them close :shock: ). It is a great idea but in my opinion i will still carry both to the stand.
Chris Lyon

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

lyonch wrote:I like to set the rifle in the down wind vicinity if its a cross wind and the rifle's butt always is touching me wether it be my hip or one of my arms. The shotgun i set on my lap between my legs. My reason behind this is that if they come down wind to try to wind me in which 90% of th etime they do my rifle is ready. If they come straight at me or up wind they seem to usually come hard and come in shotgun range where you can wack em right out front.
this is real similiar to how I set up with two guns
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Same hear that is usually how i like to set up the two guns. My honest opinion on the combos is they can't replace both guns i don't like the idea of having a single shot in either gun. I haven't ever personally used one just didn't see the need if i couldn't get one that held more then one shot . Just my two cents on it.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I got the idea of carrying both shotgun and rifle from watching Predator Quest! I noticed Les Johnson would shoot a lot of his coyotes with a shotgun!! I believe carrying a shotgun almost makes you be more patient. Me personally would not be able to have a single shot with either my rifle or shotgun! I almost guarantee I will miss with either one, and I am going to need a back up shell! Its a pain in the butt to carry to guns all day, but in the long run its worth it
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
kennedy01

Re: .223 over 12 gauge combo

Post by kennedy01 »

stevens makes a good 223 price at 400.00 and its made by savage.