Daypack/Fannypack?

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: Daypack/Fannypack?

Post by LeviM »

Prairie Ghost wrote: When i hunted tournaments it was absolutetly minimal
Agree 100%, I don't have time or need to spend the effort toting around extra crap! Plus we need to move as fast and efficient as possible.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
huntinND
coyotehunter

Post by huntinND »

I use a backpack all year with everything I need. It would be too uncomfortable to try stuffing my pockets with a bunch of crap. Just the basics extra calls, shells, rangefinder, Gaterade (its better then water), knife, camera and my e-caller if I need it. I use everything I carry at some point so I wouldn't say its just extra weight. Its not a big deal for me to carry an extra two or three pounds around. I sling my rifle with my head and neck through one side. The backpack straps actually give you some cussion from the sling.
I've got a sickness and the only cure is more coyotes
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

yep tournament hunting is different. when I am denning I carry a back pack with everything I need. for just straight calling, I don't bring much. binoculars, rangefinder, calls, and digital camera. I do not drag much back to the truck now a days and it is nice to have a pic for proof. I do at times bring the gps, depending on the coyotes and if I am trying to get to a spot from a way I am not familiar with.
Coyotes Forever
Cool_Hand

Post by Cool_Hand »

I just pack an old ALICE-style web gear buttpack with suspenders and a satchel bag.... enough room for everything, and nothing on my back to interfere with the slung rifle
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I'm like others and i don't want to carry anymore than i have to, but i do have a back pack with extra gear and another smaller one with mostly calls and ammo in it. I just leave the bags by the door in the house and when i go out hunting everything is already there and ready to go, just load it up and i'm off..
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

I have a Randy Anderson Primos calling vest my eife bought me a couple years back at first I thought what? Now I wouldn't call without it! It has room for a water bottle, room for shoooting sticks like stoney points, plenty of pockets for hand calls,remote for e caller, rope and knife etc. The back pocket is made for hauling like a fox pro caller but you could use it for packing a couple sandwiches as well. it has a fold out butt blanket LOL! It helps when things are real wet in spring/summer . It is a great vest and isn't hot in the summer.

For denning and calling back in there I can throw a couple of gas bombs if needed. It is quick and light weight and I don't forget anything no matter what stand as long as I keep all items in the vest grab it, the gun and caller and go.

I have a very light weight folding knife to cut open females to count pup scars, even keep plague swabing kits in it to monitor for plague in coyotes. It is a great and well thought out hunting vest 1 pocket is closed by a magnet and is very quite and where I keep a couple of hnd calls I can get to fast and easy and quite! You can get them from Lock-Stock and Barrel! They have a few camo options which isn't a big deal but overall it makes long hikes in better and holds what I need and is fast no fumling around for things and if I can't bi pod due to cover of the stand location out comes the stoney point folding sticks when done back in to the stick holder pocket on the side of the vest!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Well an update: used my fanny pack on saturday for the spot i bought it for. We have a big pasture we call. We snowshoed in 1/2 mile to our first spot through the deep powder (knee deep with shoes). Then made a few more stands and a spot and stalk on a sleeping yote. Then 1.7 mile snowshoe back to the truck through the deep stuff. Carried my PM-4, digital camera, few extra calls, a granola bar, some TP, and some skinning tools. Thanks for the advice guys! It worked great!

here is what i selected:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

I also bought a Buddy Lok pouch to attach to it that I use to hold my digital camera so it is more easily accessable.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Well guys I know I have been looking at a lot of different options over the past few months but I found my product, and man is it nice:

I got an Eberlestock x-1 pack. This thing is the cat's ass! It has a great gun scabbard that allows you to carry your pack and gun both hands free. Lots of room in this pack and you can make it pretty compact if you have it loaded lightly. I can even slip my PM-4 in the top pouch and it stays protected and easily accessable. Worth a look if you want a great pack for many different uses!

I already loaded up all my gear I would need while coyote calling for a long hike and it has plenty of room for the things I need! I can even think of some ways to carry out the skins on it!

Here it is:

http://www.eberlestock.com/introducing_ ... roject.htm
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Well I took my Eberlestock X1 on it's maiden voyage this weekend. I did a day of solo coyote calling in some large hilly pasture lands.

Total I walked between 6-7 miles covering the terrain. Here is what I carried in my X1:

Weatherby Vanguard 223 with bipod in the scabbard.
1 liter of water in a sidepouch.
Red Desert Howler, 50 feet of paracord, and a spare howler in the hydration pocket.
Front "X" pockets:anemometer, 2 coyote drags, flashlight and GPS
Top pocket: Johnny Stewart PM-4 and either stocking hat or Stormy Kromer hat (whichever not wearing)
Bottom pocket: first aid kid, skinning tools, compass, extra gloves, extra facemask, granola bars, PM-4 sound cards
2 small front pockets:extra hand calls, car keys, digital camera, cell phone (on silent :D ), handwarmers, lens pen

And I didn't even notice it was on! :beer:

A+ Product!!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i've heard they are a good pack. u left out the good part though?????????????
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

The good part?

Oh if you mean the hunt I ended up with one coyote for the day. I was by myself so it was hard watching all the downwinds especially on the hilly areas.

I got a 27 pound female to come in on some ki-yis. My curse--a standing frontal shot! (I have shot 6 coyotes this year and they are ALL frontal shots..no broadsides) The next stand I had one coming from the first ki yi I made but he got downwind of me in the reeds and I didn't have a shot, then I barked him to stop but he was behind a tree! I also kicked up two on the first area with the crunchy snow, and had a sleeping fox but he was on land I didn't have access to. I tried calling him onto some adjacent land I had access to but that didn't work.

Here is a pic of that female:

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

thanks for the pic. that was the "good part"" :D :D
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

LOL here is another pic for you of my actual pack, with a little lanyard I made to hold my electronic caller remote:

Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Sounds like a sweet pack :D
a proud member of the "IF" team