Daypack/Fannypack?

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Daypack/Fannypack?

Post by Fallguy »

How many of you use a daypack or fannypack for a hunt?

A few of our spots we walk around a few miles of pastures and hills, and I want to hold items like my Wireless Preymaster PM-4, digital cameras, two way radios, some skinning equipment like cord and some rubber gloves, a small flashlight, knife, and maybe a water bottle and some snacks like granola bars, etc. Maybe even some toilet paper. LOL Here are two that I am looking at. Give me what you prefer or use, or which of the following you would prefer.

I have the backpack one already (rucksack), but when I got it home it was clumsy with my slung rifle (I can return it to the store). The only thing I don't know is if I can fit my preymaster in the fanny pack, but maybe I can strap it on there. Here they are:

Rucksack
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

Fannypack
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1
Last edited by Fallguy on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Daypack/Fannypack?

Post by lyonch »

If i am going to walk for a while i want to be as light as possible. wear a pair of cargo pants that has a little rope in a pocket and a knife on your hip if you wanna skin on the spot. TP in the back pocket. Extra shells in another pocket. Hand calls around the kneck with the binoculars there too. My main focus is analyzing the areas to call as you walk. My last concern is going to be my stomach being hungry. If you are worried about dehydration then you are hunting in too hot of weather. If you must carry water then put a small bottle in the other cargo pocket. With a backpack you will try to pack more things than what you need and will tired you out faster than normal. Just my 2 cents.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

lyonch wrote:IWith a backpack you will try to pack more things than what you need and will tired you out faster than normal. Just my 2 cents.
I think you may be right with that statement. Maybe I will go back and see if that fannypack could strap my PM-4 to the top. That may be the route to go. I could also use that hudration pack part when I am pheasant hunting and walking all day.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

If you really want the bladder for water, they do sell them seperately and just see if you can put that in your vest for pheasent hunting.
Chris Lyon

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I already have a camelback that I use for mountain biking. That is not the issue. The issue is I am looking for a small pack to carry the items I am talking about, and I am looking to spend about 40 dollars. That gerber one has a hydration pack built in, so it's kind of like a bonus.

Another thing I want to bring with me is my digital camera. So that's another item that may not fit in the cargo pants. And I don't feel too comfortable just throwing an expensive camera in a pocket where I could lay on it on a rock or whatnot.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I guess we have a different view on hunting. I dont wanna say that your idea is dumb but in my personal opinion i dont need to have a picture of every coyote i shoot. I dont use and electronic caller for calling (i do use one for locating). I usually am hunting tournaments so i dont get to keep the coyote so the knife and rope aren't needed for that aspect. So when i go all i have with me is usually my calls, binoculars, rifle (and some extra shells), a rope to drag the coyotes with if i happen to shoot one, and thats it. When i get back to the truck or get picked up then i will drink my fluids and eat what i need. From what it looks like you will be doing i would have to say get a full back pack. It will be able to carry anything you want or need. When i went antelope hunting this fall i had a back pack with me to pack out the meat. I put my kneck and arm through the sling when i walked so that it carried more like a backpack then a rifel slung onto the shoulder. This way too when you shoot one you will have something to put the hide into when you do get one.
Chris Lyon

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I like photographs, and I like to have pictures not only of the animals, but also of the other things to keep in the memory books. Scenary, troubles we encouter, campfires, things of that nature. I then make a picture slideshow and burn copies for my buddies I hunted with during the year. I will not be using this pack EVERY time I hunt. For example you are right during tournaments when I don't get to keep the coyote that is a different story. But I hunt more days in the year for fur than in tournaments. I save my fur and stretch and sell it the rest of the year.

Also I am not trying to portray myself as this person who is dependent on food and drink at all times of the day. I am in excellent physical condition and can run (not jog) several miles at a fast clip without liquids. I can hunt all day without eating, but what hurt is it to take a sandwich and a water bottle with to keep your muscles and brain fueled for the day?

The backpack might also be more up my alley for the few times in the year when we decoy geese and carry shells, burlap, and that other fun stuff down to the decoy spread at my father in law's cabin.

The more I think about it, the backpack I think would fit me better. I can also chuck it in the backseat of my truck when I don't plan on carrying it to keep my supplies organized.

Thanks for the points you brought up though.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

I'd go the backpack.If there's snow I always carry one unless its a quick,close to road(rare for me)set up.Main reason is 75% of the time I'm carrying my E caller with big speaker but I also carry a thin foam pad to sit on(and stay dry),a warm face mask(can't wear it walking without sweating out),often shooting sticks,and a small 'emergency'kit(compass for fog outs or blizzards,a small poncho,few matches,etc).Emergency kit sounds crazy for coyote hunting-until you need it.I hunt alone 95% of the time and I've been in some interesting situations over the years.Doesn't take much to get in serious trouble-hell one time in Mn I slipped down a drainage ditch while fox hunting,hit the ice,launched up like a ski jumper,came down on my head,and if I'd been alone,the fact I was 5 miles from a decent sized town(Benson),wouldn't have helped much.Of course,if you're hard core and live in the Dakotas or out west,you've likely experienced a 'white out'that will get your attention if you're 5 miles from your vehicle and not sure which way to go if you do hit the road.Any slip that tears up an ankle or..???at dusk in winter can be a problem if alone.Nowadays cell phones can be comforting-if on vibrate while hunting :shock: -but aren't totally reliable either.
A wintertime 'night out'is no fun and can be serious.Hell,those that know me,know how often I'm stranded here in a snow drift-on roads Ranchers warn me they WILL NOT pull me out of.Safe is better than sorry-a lot better than dead although I can't yet verify that. :D
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Fallguy,
Forgot,I use a cheap 'Heater Body Suit' backpack I've had for years.Tough,big,simple.

http://www.heaterbodysuit.com/other.htm

Just went to this site,its changed,is more $$ and while it looks good,is fancier than mine. :?:
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Dcoy wrote:I'd go the backpack.If there's snow I always carry one unless its a quick,close to road(rare for me)set up.Main reason is 75% of the time I'm carrying my E caller with big speaker but I also carry a thin foam pad to sit on(and stay dry),a warm face mask(can't wear it walking without sweating out),often shooting sticks,and a small 'emergency'kit(compass for fog outs or blizzards,a small poncho,few matches,etc).Emergency kit sounds crazy for coyote hunting-until you need it.I hunt alone 95% of the time and I've been in some interesting situations over the years.Doesn't take much to get in serious trouble-hell one time in Mn I slipped down a drainage ditch while fox hunting,hit the ice,launched up like a ski jumper,came down on my head,and if I'd been alone,the fact I was 5 miles from a decent sized town(Benson),wouldn't have helped much.Of course,if you're hard core and live in the Dakotas or out west,you've likely experienced a 'white out'that will get your attention if you're 5 miles from your vehicle and not sure which way to go if you do hit the road.Any slip that tears up an ankle or..???at dusk in winter can be a problem if alone.Nowadays cell phones can be comforting-if on vibrate while hunting :shock: -but aren't totally reliable either.
A wintertime 'night out'is no fun and can be serious.Hell,those that know me,know how often I'm stranded here in a snow drift-on roads Ranchers warn me they WILL NOT pull me out of.Safe is better than sorry-a lot better than dead although I can't yet verify that. :D
Dcoy

I see a few similarities in yours and my thinking. I got a new PM-4 this summer and am excited to use it. Yes, it has the big speaker on it.
Also, an emergency kit isn't a bad idea. I have already begun making my EMERGENCY LANYARD. The main reason I am making this is my cousin and I are planning on doing a Survival/Minimalist trip into the Boundary Waters next summer. He is in the Happy Hooligans and recently did Artic Survival training and wants to teach me the skills he learned. We are going to do this trip carrying as little as we need to survive.

So far what I have on my lanyard is: A simple knife (Cold Steel Finn Bear), a magnesium fire starter with flint, small compass, small LED light, a small section of hacksaw blade (for striking the flint), and a pill bottle with cotton balls soaked in Vasoline (awesome fire starter..will burn from ONE spark and burn for 5 minutes). I have been practicing lately-everytime I have a fire in the yard or start my grill I have been using the flint and steel method. I will probably add another pill bottle to it and use it for keeping tinder or fishing hooks, tape, other usefull things you could use in a pinch.

I plan on wearing my emergency lanyard on some of my hunting trips this year just to get used to wearing it. It will fit nice under a coat or shirt.

Looks like our packs will be about the same size.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Right on.Good stuff.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I got a fanny pack that I use alot. it is pretty small but it fits my digital camera, range finder, a couple of calls, couple of extra rounds....maybe a granola bar if it is going to be all morning hike. I do have a back pack that I use for denning with a hydro pack. Most stands it is the fanny pack, I typical don't carry water, I am kind of a camel and I don't like stopping to piss.
Coyotes Forever
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Thanks for all the discussion guys.

I decided that I am going to stick with the rucksack I got. I will be able to use it for a variety of things besides coyote hunting. Goose decoying, deer hunting, storing stuff in the pickup, camping to name a few. I remember this summer when I took my 4 year old son camping at Turtle River State Park. We put on the water shoes, grabbed the fishing rods, and waded down the river for 3 hours catching frogs and trout. Of course I forgot a backpack so we didn't bring any water or snacks. Not too bad for me but for a four year old that is rather rough.

Down the road I will probably get a nice beltpack or fanny pack if I catch one on sale.
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

hiking around for the day I use a back pack, in and out of the truck a fanny pack but always with water and some type of food..You never know when shit will happen... and I'll have the shit with me when it does :wink: a few buddies call me Magyver cause you never know what I can come up with out of my pack.

Fallguy sounds like you got it !!

p.s. makes you think..... don't it, wonder how many of you will now be using some type of pack??
a proud member of the "IF" team
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Winter stands i carry a fanny pack to keep the foxpro and some extra rounds if i'm going to make more than one stand from the pickup. Everything else i can get into my bibs or jacket

Spring and summer i use a turkey hunting style vest to carry all I need for denning and also some of the survival stuff including water due to the heat and sometimes all day or at least half day hikes looking for dens me and coyotehunter got into a situation that could have gotten bad if there would have been an injury that made me think about it a little more.

When i hunted tournaments it was absolutetly minimal
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!