gps

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

rhino
coyotehunter

gps

Post by rhino »

Anyone use GPS? Any particular one better than the next?
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: gps

Post by lyonch »

Jamie would be the best to answer this question. He has had several over the years :lol:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I would do alot of research on each model, and decide what would fit for you and the situations you would use it for

If I would get one, I would have to get one for fishing, trapping, coyotehunting, so the model I get better be able to handle all those
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Hey guys,

I have done some pretty extensive research/product comparisons on different GPS makes and models and this is what little I claim to know.

My gps is a Megellan Meridian Platinum and was pretty much top of the line in its day(2003) but its getting old but has never let me down. Many good things to say about it but I would not buy another one. It still works fine but I wanted to add topo mapping to it which it did, but anyway, here is what I learned. I hope this helps in your decisions.

After a few dozen phone calls to offroute.com(gps wizards like you wont believe and also the CHEAPEST place by alot, to buy a gps...see for yourself) they really put their faith in Garmin and the reason is tech support. They said that while Magellan makes great products, they have gone thru several ownership changes and also moved their tech support line to India and I can tell you first hand that try to install MAPSEND TOPO on my gps with them on the other end of the phone was hideous. I finally got it done but it was aweful and they totally bounced me around and language barriers...ect..ect....and as it turns out, the guys at offroute.com help line knew WAY more about my gps than anyone at the Magellan help desk in India. Please dont get me wrong as I have no bias towards the tech line folks in India but I simply could not get them to understand what I was trying to do and they had NO training on the older models at all it appeared. Magellan used to be king but Garmin has blown them away in the last few years according to offroute but call and talk to them yourselves.

They sell both brands and maybe some others so I dont chalk it up to bias at all. They told me that the tech support would be difficult and sure enough it was and I have purchased much stuff(maybe not as much as I hear coyotehunter has :D ) from them and they been very cool and super knowledgeable to work with.

My next gps will be a Garmin.

Just my 2 pennies.

Jaybic
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

good info.

I am looking for a gps for several reasons:

den sites
trap sets
track my coyote kills

Then I can map out the territories via google earth or some other software. It will give me a picture of where the coyotes or whatever creature you are chasing roams.

Also when I am hunting away from my home area to mark good hunting spots whether it be a good pheasant spot or treestand location. I want to be able for the gps to take me to the spot. I have seen one in action that you can follow directions/map trail on the gps and it takes you right there. Not too mention if I am out in a storm and not too familiar with the country hopefully it can get me home. When I am out in the field one can never be too prepared.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have had several Garmin GPS's. I have a few of the Garmin Vistas. (don't ask why I have 3 of them, plus 3 legends that are MIA) they are very easy to use and you can load all the maps that you want. I have a topo disc that allows me to load maps for all of North America. cst was about $100 and probably even less now. I have messed around withthe Magellan and found it to have way to many bells and whistles for me. I use mine almost daily and have for years.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I have used a couple different garmins and they have had everything i needed them to do such as marking snares, dens, calling stands, locations on family groups ect ect. Great tool that everyone should utilize
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

great info. I just might have to invest in one. It sounds like there are many uses for one.