Electronic Calls

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Electronic Calls

Post by Coyotehunter »

Has anyone tried the new FX5?
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Haven't tried it yet but have heard nothing but good things so far
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I was just curious is it worth having an electronic caller, or should a guy stick with his mouth calls if that is was he is use too. I use to own an older style electronic caller, the ones with the big microphone, and long cords, and that was a pain in the butt to haul around. Now they have the had held ones that are light and easy to carry around. Just curious on some opinions?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

That why i highly recommend the Foxpro i own one and although i use mouth calls 95% of the time it is nothing to have my foxpro on every stand in my jacket pocket.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

watching some of Randy Andersons videos he uses the Fox Pro alot it seem pretty handy to have. I like hand calling so much I don't know if I could switch. I can see where it would be handy when you hunt by yourself and you could put it up wind of you. I will have too look into and maybe give it a try
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I started out with mouth calls but when my wife bought me a Johnny Stewart for calling in crows we started using it for coyotes. I have not brought it with in about 5 - 6 years now but for a couple of years I did use it alot. I think they have there place but you can not beat the weight and versatility of a open reed call. I had the big speaker and the amp booster on mine and it was useful mainly on those windy days. I just try and keep things real simple now. I carry a open reed call (spare in the truck), some rope (for dragging dead stuff), shotgun and rifle. Clothes vary with the season and time of year. I have brought decoys with before as well but it just gets to be to much to drag from stand to stand. There are probably more tournaments won with a CritRcall than anything else on the market. Of course just like turkeys, ducks, geese, etc. you need to take the time to learn how to use the call. There are way to many guys who are out there howling away and ki-yi's at every stand with out understanding what these sounds mean and when to effectively use them. That being said I think those hunters who are beginners or just the occasional caller should stick with the prerecorded distress sounds. Until at least they have learned how and when to use the open reed for coyote vocalizations.
khspeed_2001

Post by khspeed_2001 »

I have a foxpro that I use from time to time but I prefer to use my hand calls (feels more challenging for me). I waited to purchase my electronic caller till I felt comfortable with my ability to call them with the more primitive methods, to be honest I have called more in with hand calls than my electronic caller. I?m not saying there is anything wrong with a electronic caller but there?s nothing like throwing a couple of calls in your jacket, rifle in the trunk for the ride home from grandma?s house (you can even hide them in you church suit). The contents in my ash try consist of 3 calls and 5 22-250 shells). We can?t have loaded firearms in the vehicle in MN (unless you have a permit to carry which is where my 22-mag pistol comes in handy). Not sure if this helps just my 2cents. :roll:
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Jamie

Was that Johnny Stewart one you have the Preymaster? If so, how did you like it? i see they are only 100 bucks, and I am looking for my first electronic call. If anyone has any experience with this call let me know what you think.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

It was the Johnny Stewart 512 with the HUGE speaker and amp. Loud but very bulky. A buddy of mine has the preymaster and I think you get what you pay for. He called in coyotes with it but the sound quality was kind of poor and not much for volume. I do not think the coyotes new the sound quality was bad. He is a fair weather caller and I do not know how well it would work in heavy wind.
Rich Cronk

Post by Rich Cronk »

There is no doubt that a good electronic caller has it's place in helping a hunter kill more of the coyotes that he calls. This is especially true for guys like me who call the thick stuff a lot. If you have a cedar thicket, or maybe a brush choked draw where the wind blows directly down it all of the time almost. Placing the caller directly upwind of the coyote hidey hole, while the hunter sits cross-wind 50-100 yards is deadly on coyotes.

I use a Minaska "Bandit" myself, and I love it. I recently had the opportunity to hear a new Fox-Pro FX-5 for the first time, and I have to say that the sound quality was very good.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have not heard of the "Bandit" do you have any info on it.
Rich Cronk

Post by Rich Cronk »

The Bandit callers are made in Lincoln, nebraska by the Borland brothers. Here is a link to their site. www.minaskaoutdoors.com
Rich Cronk

Post by Rich Cronk »

I drove down to Lincoln today and had the boys at Minaska build me a brand new model. It has all of the newest updates, including 100 sounds loaded and ready. They packed it all into a new camo case for me. This bugger is top grade from top to bottom. :)
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

well I got a chance to use the new FX5. Very light. I am not overly impressed with the volume though. Very compact, light weight, and a ton of sound features.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I got to see the Wildlife Technoligies electronic caller in action this spring. Great sound, kind of bulky with the big speaker and very expensive. The sound was amazing.