snowshoes

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

rhino
coyotehunter

snowshoes

Post by rhino »

With all the snow we have been getting, it looks like I am in the market for a pair of snowshoes. Anybody use them? I am thinking of staying with a lower priced pair. I am looking at Yukon Charlie's.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: snowshoes

Post by Dcoy »

Hi.I use them a lot.
For me,I'd get long narrow ones for open country.(quiet,fast,easy walking).Shorter,wider ones,maybe even Bearpaw types,for woods and softer,deeper snow.Always wood.Metals are too noisy and fiberglass too heavy.
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

The ones I am looking at are about 5.1 lbs/pair. How does that compare to the wood ones? Do they really help in the snow? I don't mind walking but can't stand walking in the deep snow all day. It tires a guy out pretty fast.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Rhino,
Sorry didn't see this reply.I'm heading out shortly for Xmas but will check the weight on mine in a few days.That weight doesn't sound bad but sounds like its not wood.Careful there would be my advice.Might be something new I haven't tried but...I've tried metal and fiberglass and always came back to wood.Quiet-thats the main thing but,like in canoes,its still the best for 'floating'along that there is.At one point some years ago,when my group were snow shoeing 10-12 miles a day,we had custom WHITE fiberglass ones made for us.What an expensive mistake that was.Unlike wood which glides,you had to push those.Exhausted in a mile.
I use wood Iversons.
Also,use care in choosing bindings which are equally important.Don't "fall'(pun intended)for the rubber inner tube types.Always either too tight or too lose.And,when its really cold,a pain to even get on.
Merry Christmas!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

The snow shoes that i have and use are what is issued to our military. They aren't the best snowshoe that i have used but they are by far the best built for durability!! They are made of aluminum framing and coated cable for webbing. I would have to weigh them to see how heavy they are. Im sure this year levi and i are going to be forced to wear snow shoes :evil: Thats reason number one why I HATE SNOW!!!!! A nice inch or two isn't bad, but when we are starting to talk feet :shock: and the tournament season is just about ready to get into full swing that means a lot of tired guys at check-ins.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Ah come on Chris,you and Levi are young!I think you two ought to feel sorry for the other guys and put a 5lb rock on each shoe.Sort of a tourney Xmas present to the others. :D
Merry Christmas!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Snow sucks!!!!!!!! :!: :!:

it takes 10x more effort then needed to get into a "quality" stand, and you can rule out walking in making a stand, walking in further and making another stand, ect! I would have to bring an oxygen tank!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Rhino,

I'm not an expert on snowshoes but became interested last year after a couple x-c adventures so have been paying a little attention to what to own. Dcoy offered one of his sets so I'll go with that.

Consider that one pickup bench worth of Dcoy and his friends account to a century's worth of snowshoe use/ many miles to know what works and what doesn't. In summary, wood w/ leather bindings are the ticket. Metal noise self-evident & non-negotiable. The other thing is I personally don't mind them and they will spare a lot of misery in deep snow- Don't see how a guy wouldn't have a set. Seems that sales should be up this year too.
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it.

Garrett
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

This thread just reminded me of when I started looking into buying a set.

Last year I went to ebay and typed into the search field: snow shoes iverson.

The search amounted to approx 50 matches--- Looked over to discover all were white basketball shoes endorsed by Allen Iverson. Can't remember whether I laughed or cried. Has me wonder if there isn't some guy up to his pits in a drift somewhere with hightops on.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Rhino,
Pilgrim is just an Iverson tenny shoe type guy.The Iverson I use is: http://www.iversons-snowshoes.com/

A bit shocked at their prices nowadays-at least on their website-thank god I have xtras.In the past,G Mountain and a few other chains handled them and at the end of the seasons,they were cheap.If you haven't bought yet,a couple calls around might be worthwhile.
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

I use the alaskan style with the leather bindings..I used to wear cross country skies alot when walking down fox or sking down fox
a proud member of the "IF" team
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Terry,
I sure agree on the Alaskan types!For me,I'd have to ride horses for years or bend my legs to get bow-legged to try cover serious ground with the fat,wide deep woods type shoes.I have them but rarely use them anymore.
As to the skis and fox,been there,done that!That takes skill and,well....turned out not to be for me.The first serious 'downhill' resulted in a fiasco/crash.Not sure the snow in my barrel has melted out yet-and that was 10 plus years ago.
wizbang
coyotehunter

Post by wizbang »

Hey, all. I noticed Dcoy mentioned some good prices somewhere. Anyone else found any deals on snowshoes? Cableas seems ridiculously priced...
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i found out the hard way to buy snow-shoes that matck your weight. i'm 235 and borrowed a buddys set that were rated for 150-200lbs for the kenmare tourny. was more work with them on as without.just went out last night n bought a pair at scheels. paid 200.00 $. got the size for up to 300lbs. going out today (in about 15 min) to try to shoot a few dogs and try them out.hope they work cuz i think i may have frost bit my nads at the kenmare tourny buy draggen em in the snow. the kind i bought are from Crescent Moon. seem to be very good quality. i'll post soon to let you know how they are.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."