snowshoes

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tbush
coyotehunter

Re: snowshoes

Post by Tbush »

Ya the week-end was tough on eq. broke both my bindings so took a drag rope and put together new ones it worked for the day ...also broke a shoe snapped it in half on the outside right foot :mrgreen: I did splint it and wrapped it but going to start looking for a new pair " the wood alaskas are my choice'
a proud member of the "IF" team
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

lyonch wrote:The snow shoes that i have and use are what is issued to our military. They aren't the best snowshoe that i have used but they are by far the best built for durability!! They are made of aluminum framing and coated cable for webbing. I would have to weigh them to see how heavy they are. Im sure this year levi and i are going to be forced to wear snow shoes :evil: Thats reason number one why I HATE SNOW!!!!! A nice inch or two isn't bad, but when we are starting to talk feet :shock: and the tournament season is just about ready to get into full swing that means a lot of tired guys at check-ins.

If you guys can find these snow shoes I recommend it! By far the best ones out there! I was walking on snow for a good part of Saturday with no problems at all, I know if I wouldn't of had them I would be recieving "Get Well" cards because of the heat attack I would of had :cry:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

back from my juant. in my opinion the shoes i got worked better than expected. put on about 2 miles in all different kinds of snow. hard packed, deep fluff ,steep river banks, open fields, wood-lots. they worked awesome. i felt like a kid at x-mas. :D :D . the bindings were very easyto use and felt solid n secure. the only thing i will say bad is they may be a bit loud on a calm day. this one is for Levi-- bring on the white stuff wooo-hooo. :wink:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

bucksnbears wrote:back from my juant. in my opinion the shoes i got worked better than expected. put on about 2 miles in all different kinds of snow. hard packed, deep fluff ,steep river banks, open fields, wood-lots. they worked awesome. i felt like a kid at x-mas. :D :D . the bindings were very easyto use and felt solid n secure. the only thing i will say bad is they may be a bit loud on a calm day. this one is for Levi-- bring on the white stuff wooo-hooo. :wink:

How many coyotes did you shoot on your little jaunt, you can walk around all day if you want, heck my wife even goes site seeing some days :wink:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

heres the problem you guys aren't seeing with snow!!! Do really think that a coyote is going to come to your call a mile away when he needs to wade through nut deep snow to get to you in some areas?? I highly doubt it unless he can walk on top of all of it (the classic proved this). The snow shoes take more time per stand with the putting on and taking off at each one. The effort in getting to and from the stand gets more tiring so your less apt to go that extra mile in a day of hunting. Instead of pursuing ducks, geese, deer, and pheasents in october try pursuing a coyote and you will soon agree with us that it is a lot more fun!! So until you can give more evidence than i can see the coyote better in snow there is no need for several feet of snow!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

sorry Levi, i thought it was you who stated I HATE SNOW. should;ve been aimed at Chris. :P didnt see a one.very windy here
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

lyonch

You make some good points but at the same time if you like to pheasant hunt and deer hunt, which I do, you only have a limited time to do that. You have to go after those animals when legal. That is also something to consider.

As far as snowshoes eating into your stand time because you have to put them on and take them off, I am going to disagree on that. Depending on the bindings, you can put on and take off your snowshoes in 30 seconds or less. I think the time you take to put them on and take them off will be far less than the time you will spend struggling through the snow if you DON'T have them on at all. If a guy wants to do some hunting this time of year, with the other seasons closed, here is something he can get out and do. If it's snowy, then it's snowy and you have to deal with it. With that said, you are right about the great conditions calling in the fall. You can cover a lot of ground in a little time and get some awesome responses.

I will agree with the deep snow affecting their willingness to come to the call. I have seen that a number of times since Christmas.
Last edited by Fallguy on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

bucksnbears wrote:sorry Levi, i thought it was you who stated I HATE SNOW. should;ve been aimed at Chris. :P didnt see a one.very windy here
you did call out the right person, I have stated I hate snow many times! Pretty ballzy to come on the site and make 10 post and call someone out!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Here's a little insight/ update on snowshoes:

Made a neat discovery this AM. Learned that one of the fellows in my Wed AM study group owns a snowshoe & binding making company. He's also an expert practitioner--- lived near and guided snowshoe jaunts in the BWCA for many years. Also a hunter.

Anyway, he agrees with Dcoy and TBush that Alaskans by Iverson are ideal for coyote hunting use. Also suggested the Ojibwa, which he's going to borrow me for a trial. Says they're the same application but less need to pick up your knees.

BEST part is you can buy do-it-yourself a kit and save at least $60. By far the best deal I've seen + I like making my own stuff. $139 is a super deal. Trust me, these things are a dream to trek with!

Here's a link to the website:

http://snowshoe.com/index.cfm?pageid=128

Here's a pic of a set of Iverson Alaskan shoes (10x56") taken the other day.
sshoes.jpg
sshoes.jpg (78.05 KiB) Viewed 14614 times
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Great just bought a new piar a week or so ago, from ebay got a good deal but I'll file this info if I need it. Yes the wooden alaskans are great unlike the noisey metal type
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I have'nt had to use my snow-shoes for the last couple of years but when i do these are the kind i use..
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

TB,

He (Greg) seems to have all of the preferred bindings, webbing... parts...

I told him I'd like to make "white" snowshoes and said simply mix white paint into the urathane before coating the frame and webbing.

Another photo from last week. The two old(er) guys that introduced me to the Iverson stuff. If these guys can go 6-10 miles a day at their age, and kill yotes, and get out of bed the next AM...
coyoteswalk.jpg
coyoteswalk.jpg (60.79 KiB) Viewed 14556 times
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Yeh,there goes about 133 years of experience trekking down the line.(or this moonscape in NoDak)My buddy 'Herbie' at 67 is truly the Eveready Snow Bunny! Goin and goin and goin.....Good snow shoes are the way to get there. :D
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

well I finally broke down and bought a pair. tried them out in the front yard and I like what I see. can't wait to get out this weekend.
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Rhino, it helps to use some ski poles etc.. when your first learning :D ............Hell ...I still use-em :lol: