What videos do you like?

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I think I like his first one better (Les's). How much editing do you think went into Best of the Quest? Next time you watch it, pay attention to all the camera angles, how you NEVER see another camera in the background. Also, do you think when that one coyote is running right in on top of them, and Les can't see it, Jeff would say "Right there, Kill HIM" with that grin on his face? It looks pretty staged like he is almost laughing about it.

Don' t get me wrong...Les is the BEST in the world and I also would love to meet him and pick his brain. His videos are great learning tools and have great footage. I will buy future ones he puts out. I would personally rather have some shakier video content and maybe not so many closeups knowing that they didn't walk back in after a coyote was killed and set up, or add comments, or stage anything. Maybe I'm wrong here but I doubt it.
papapete
coyotehunter

Post by papapete »

Fallguy is right about "Best of the Quest". It is laughable how they go back and rein act each kill. In most of the camera shots the camera man is in front of Les looking at him. Then they will switch to a camera angle from the actual hunt where the camera is behind him. Don't get me wrong, I think Les is a great hunter, but I have a hard time taking a video seriously if there is a lot of BS like that.
"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Papapete and I came to this conclusion a few weeks ago after coming home from the bar and watching that video. Perhaps we drank too much and our perspective was wrong....NAH! :lol:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I just watched the Burnham Brothers "Catastophic" which has 20+ plus bobcats kills, but has the same staged close-ups. Realy corny. I have heard the same thing from a few guys about "the Best of the Quest". I do not think I am ready to call Les Johnson the BEST but he seems to have the tournament hunting figured out.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

My personal opinion after watching his videos, lyonch and my numbers jumped up dramatically. We really focused on tatics that were used in the video, and they worked for us. There were time this year we had coyotes coming in on every stand. I guess its just my personal prefrence, I watch the videos for the knowledge not the entertainment.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I have recently watched it myself and i too liked the first video better. However I will state that when the first video was made it was to sell to coyote hunters and that is it. the second one is all the episodes that he made for Main stream hunting channels on tv. not to mention that he has a lot of sponsors that are picking up the bill for him to get all of that footage that he has to take care of to keep them. so i can see where he is coming from also. I don't like the reenactment either but if that is what keeps him in the bussiness i guess thats what he has to do.

I wouldn't say that Les is the best coyote hunter however i would say he is the best tournament hunter out there right now.

I have gotten to be fairly good friends with Les and always get to spend some time swapping lies with him at Nationals and have talked to him on the phone a few times. the thing about les is he keeps things real simple. He dosen't howl he uses only distress sounds and just hunts where the coyotes are PERIOD.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Yep the guys I have hunted with for instruction don't seem to do anymore than they need to do to get it done. I think the average coyote hunter spends to much time thinking about the sounds he is making and not enough time thinking about how to find coyotes. It is a whole lot easier calling in coyotes if you actually have one out there to hear the call.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

When Levi and I would go before we watched les's videos we did the exact thing that Randy Anderson would do and we would hunt all winter and only call in a few. After we watched les's video we figured we had nothing to lose but to give is tactics a try. I would have to say that if you count the total coyotes called in to the number of stands made i would have to say it went from 1 in15 to 1in3 is what we averaged. We did start being very selective with the areas that we called and we made sure that the majority of the factors were in our favor. It might be beginners luck but after i bought the same call that less uses and i tuned it on to sound good to me levi told me to give it a try on a stand in the steele tourney and lone and behold about minutes in the stand here came a pair over the ridge and it was the first pair that i have ever called in. Less seems to be doing something right. I have a cousin who works for northland fishing tackle and he told me its a joke how many retakes they need to do in order for it to look professional cause that what the name of the game is in hunting and fishing shows. i prefer to see it just as it happened but i guess some people get frustrated when the camera man shakes a little :roll: As will primos says "This ain't Hollywood"
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Watched the Coyote Doctors prescription for success this weekend and found it to be a pretty good video.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

August 1st, Randy Anderson's the The Truth 4 calling all coyotes comes out. I already got my order in!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I placed my order as well should be a good one.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I also heard that the Verminators 2 is coming out. Verminators Predator and Prey and Bowmania are still some of my favorites. I get a kick out of Rick Paillet.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

The next vermainators movies is coming out in a couple of months and The Truth 5 is coming out January 1st.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I watched the Truth IV and it was pretty good. It was a lot like the Truth III. There was a lot of good info on howling!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I thought it was pretty good to Levi. Man can old Wooly shoot or what.