SongDog Call

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

The Outdoorsman
coyotehunter

SongDog Call

Post by The Outdoorsman »

I just bought me a songdog call last nite at Gander Mtn., So far I like it, wish it had a spot for a lanyard though. I can do my howls alot better than with the Hot Dog. Question though, does the O-ring have to stay on the mouthpiece when callling? What is the purpose of it? Also, is there in tips on working it like when its best to take part of the bell off for locator howls or anything like that?
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: SongDog Call

Post by lyonch »

I never use the bells at all!! I just use the mouth piece. I would leave the rubber band all the way forward so you have full use of all the pitches. Drill a small hole in the end of it and tie it right to your lanyard. You will not be dissapointed in the call. After trying several calls the song dog is the only one i primarily use. I use Jerry Hunsley's female howler when i howl.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

practice different things with the call, and stick with what works for you
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I use all the Crit R Call models. Some of them I leave the band on and some I take it off. For instance on my standard and Magnum I have taken it off...I just feel it makes that individual call easier for me to use. My standard I have had for 4 years and the reed REALLY curves up and scoops air. It almost looks like its bent...LOL. On my song dog I left it on, as the reed had a habit of shifting. It is a custom reed that I made that I put on it though so I maybe have the wrong size block in.

I also never use the extensions on the song dog. Yes you can drill a hole for your lanyard-it will not affect sound quality. Another thing I have done is take those green castration bands (you can buy 100's of them at a farm store for cheap) and roll two up on the mouthpiece, then up and over the block onto the call body. Have two close together and they act as ridges to cinch down your lanyard between them. That allows for quick removal if you want to change your arsenal of what you are carrying. Just don't get your finger under one of those bands. LOL

Good luck you'll love the call.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
The Outdoorsman
coyotehunter

Thanks guys! I've taken the band off and found that I get better results so far with it, but I've only had it for less than 24 hours, so I will experiment with it on and off. I can say this though, my dog started to howl with me last nite. :mrgreen: And thanks for the tip on the hole for a lanyard.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

With that band off your reed may shift on you. Before I call on stand I always check to make sure the reed is lined up evenly along the sound channel. If it isn't just adjust it with your thumb.
The Outdoorsman
coyotehunter

Was checking it out durning my lunch break while practicing! :D Thanks Fallguy.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Practice makes perfect. I am always blowing on calls while driving in the car. Probably why my hearing sucks.
The Outdoorsman
coyotehunter

And thats why other drivers look at us funny. :D
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I pull the bands off of all my critr calls and i take that last extension off of the songdog
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

song dog is a great call. a great companion to the call is the audio by Major Boddiker called "talking with coyotes".
Coyotes Forever