Bullet Drop Compensating Reticles

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

wizbang
coyotehunter

Bullet Drop Compensating Reticles

Post by wizbang »

Hey, all. New to the site and looking for optics advice...

I'm curious what all your experiences have been with different bdc reticles versus click adjustments. I've read around on opticstalk and other forums but the info all seems older. Obviously its difficult to be clicking on a scope with a coyote in front of you. I was wondering about how you feel the reticles actually work. Are they pretty consistent across the various powers on a scope? Would it pay off to pay the extra money for the Leupold custom shop to set the reticle for the bullet weight, etc? Are the bdc reticles worth all the hype?

The scope I'm considering is the vx-iii 6.5-20x50LR with the varmint reticle to put on a Kimber 84m varmint in a .204. If you have other scope suggestions, I guess I'm open to that, though I'd like to stay with a leo for the warranty, etc. THANKS!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Bullet Drop Compensating Reticles

Post by Tim Anderson »

The Var. reticle is'nt to bad, does come close to my bullets traj. Once you zero scope with it you will need to verify it to make sure the bullet hits where it is suppose to. The scope dose'nt work the best on my Pred. the bullet moves along to fast for most settings. I may try it on my 22-250 ackley or a 17 rem.
At the moument what i have been useing is the Kenton BDC dial that is Calibrated for my 17 Pred with a 30 gr. So far its working real good and i have no complaints. When on stand i have it set on 200 yds and if i get a coyote that hangs up farther then i just set it to the distance i think it is. Out to 600 yds you just have to be close and aim for top of back and things seem to work out.. Any way it may work for you or it may not but like i said i like it..
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

Hey wizbang I have a leup. vxiii 4.5-14 with the varmint hunter reticle i thought i would never miss another coyote but i have the problem i have is you don't know where to aim at 450 or 350 yrds your still guessing i've missed yotes at that range as soon as kenton gets there new dial available i'm ordering one my buddy has one and he loves it 450 no problem 525 no problem unless there is wind then thats a problem but otherwise kenton dbc is the way to go it only takes a second. our guns are 22-250 for caliber. but you will still have to do some shooting and get to know your equipment and have a good reliable range finder. just my 2 cents hope that helps you
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have the Leupold BDC knob and just love it. sighted in for 200 yards and can dial in 1000 yard shots. got two of them, wish I had gotten one sooner.
Coyotes Forever
wizbang
coyotehunter

Post by wizbang »

Thanks for the responses, guys. I think I'm gonna look at the Leupold custom shop some more-- looks like they can set the reticles for your bullet weight, etc. I'm sure its not exact but worth a try?

Anyone have a bdc reticle set for their bullet weight? Does it work? I've heard Zeiss does this well too...?
wizbang
coyotehunter

Post by wizbang »

Hey, Coyotehunter, what do you mean Leupold BDC knob? Is that an aftermarket knob or one that came on the scope??

Again, thanks for the responses, guys.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

that is the scope that i just got. I had the mil-dot reticle put in and a BDC knob made from my bullet weight and velocity.

I don't think that i would go that big with a 204 you won't be making long enough shots with that caliber to need the 20 power
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
yellowdog
coyotehunter

Post by yellowdog »

Prairie Ghost wrote:that is the scope that i just got. I had the mil-dot reticle put in and a BDC knob made from my bullet weight and velocity.

I don't think that i would go that big with a 204 you won't be making long enough shots with that caliber to need the 20 power
Well I guess the first thing I should say is hello to everyone on here as this is my first post, looks like a first class place to chat.

Second thing wizbang is that I have to beg to differ on the .204, when compared to say the 22-250, the .204 actually shoots a hair flatter & only gives up an insignificant difference in energy. That being said, anything the 250 can do, so can the .204. Both fold up the dogs right in their tracks with equal performance. I love them both, but the neet thing about the .204 is that you get quicker sight acusition as it has the recoil about like a rimfire allowing you to keep your eyes on the intended target shot after shot. :wink:

You can check out the ballistics yourself on Remington's or Hornaday's web sites.

As far as the reticles, I have the Leupy varmint hunters reticle and it works great, whish I had it on all my rigs.
yellowdog
coyotehunter

Post by yellowdog »

I also think the 20 power is an advantage on p.dog size targets out towards the 450 to 500 yard line as the reticle on my 14 starts to cover up that small a target out that far more than I would like.
As the issue posted above about the reticle not having the 50 yard marks in it, that's easy. If you range a target and it's at say 350 yds, hold on the 300 mark at the top of your target (just under the spine on a yote). just split the difference basically. I think it would be to busy to have the extra hash marks myself.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

yellowdog wrote:
Prairie Ghost wrote:that is the scope that i just got. I had the mil-dot reticle put in and a BDC knob made from my bullet weight and velocity.

Well I guess the first thing I should say is hello to everyone on here as this is my first post, looks like a first class place to chat.

Second thing wizbang is that I have to beg to differ on the .204, when compared to say the 22-250, the .204 actually shoots a hair flatter & only gives up an insignificant difference in energy. That being said, anything the 250 can do, so can the .204. Both fold up the dogs right in their tracks with equal performance. I love them both, but the neet thing about the .204 is that you get quicker sight acusition as it has the recoil about like a rimfire allowing you to keep your eyes on the intended target shot after shot. :wink:

You can check out the ballistics yourself on Remington's or Hornaday's web sites.

As far as the reticles, I have the Leupy varmint hunters reticle and it works great, whish I had it on all my rigs.

Well glad to see you on the site, hope to see lots of posts from you.

I have to strongly disagree with you though. I own both and do this coyoyte thing every day and the .204 is just not up to the same performance as the .22-.250. I even go as far as saying it is marginal at best for coyotes. I like my .204 but.........just not in my opinion the best choice for coyotes. the cost of the .22-.250 to buy and load is about the same and the consistant results of the .204 just does not stack up to the .22-.250. Sure the perfect shot in the bread basket with the .204 will no doubt put there lights out but the longer shots with some wind............ you may end up spend the next hour or two walking down a wounded coyote. Bad shots are made by everyone and throw some wyoming wind and sooner or later you are going to catch a shoulder or worse yet back in the liver. Off goes your coyote and a big waste of a morning. I shoot a .22-6MM and a .22-.250 AI and just do not want any walk offs. The same arguement can be made about the .17 as well. I used to have 2 of them and had the one eventually chambered for the .204 both great guns. Flat and fast but better suited for the fox and smaller varmits in my years of experience.
Coyotes Forever
yellowdog
coyotehunter

Post by yellowdog »

This is almost like a pollitical debate, this is fun. I also have both, but you need to check the ballistics charts on the wind, the smaller .204 has it beat. Sierra and ex-ball programs state the same.

Both calibers using a 45 gn. bullet at 3600 fps. @ 300 yds. the 22-250 drifts 10.45" in a 10 mph wind.

The .204 using the same exact data drifts 8.35" .204 has the edge(higher B.C.)

That is almost a 2" difference. Differnce between a clean kill & a wounded critter at those ranges.
Last edited by yellowdog on Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yellowdog
coyotehunter

Post by yellowdog »

You probably have the Leupy varmint reticle. If you have an anometer, get your .204 in about a 20mph 3/4 value wind or so,use your wind stadia on your reticle & see for yourself. Made a believer out of me.

So far C.hunter, I've had equal success with both. Now if I had to pick just one, my heart belongs to the 22-250. I've never had the 22-250 AI, but always was impressed with that round. I would prefer that over my swift maybe just due to being able to use regular 250 ammo at times. That in itself would save barrel life compared to the swift.
yellowdog
coyotehunter

Post by yellowdog »

Boy! I'll say one thing though, the controversy between the 22-250 & the .204 is about the biggest debate between two calibers on every hunting forum I've been on as far as varmint stuff goes. It's very interesting to me to read all the opinions out ther on this topic. They both have their respective place in varmint hunting no matter the game. The .204 could use a better bullet though, thicker jacket would be nice, it's a little hard on the pelts at times. Not that it matters at the moment, price ain't worth a darn.

This is a great web site, get's better the more I dig! Well done!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I just do not use those light bullets out of my .22-.250 for the same reason I do not shoot a .204 at my coyotes. I try to use the heaviest bullet I can in each caliber I shoot. I mean really the .22-6MM I shoot for my every day gun just puts the hurt on them and a near miss damn near kills them :D . Again not that it can't be done with the .204 but I think there are better combo's out there. I got a .204 all tricked out and use it a lot as a truck gun, shoot most of my fox and bait for trapping with it. I guess if you are useing the 40-45 gr. bullets out a .22-.250 it would be a different arguement but I stick with heavier bullets. I have no room for error and just want to anchor them at all times at every distance with no mistakes. Great caliber, no doubt. I shoot mine a ton.

I shoot a Mil Dot with a BDC

As far as wind drift, personally I just don't care that much. If you know the distance it does not matter to me so much what the drift is. I mean if you are holding 8" or 10" what difference does it make. I guess the closer you get to no drift the better right but really I just don't worry about that to much. I use the heavier bullets to compensate for some error. you never have a true value wind down range from the muzzle anyways. At best it is a educated guess. If I am off a little with the .204 it is more of an issue than being off a little with a heavier bullet out of the .250. I guess I am not comparing apples to apples, i just don't shoot those light bullets out of my ackely. They need some better bullets for the .204, thicker jackets, bonded of some sort.

Glad you like the site.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Welcome aboard Yellowdog

I will say i love my 204 and haven't had some of the problems i hear of as far as wounded coyotes with mine but that's just me.

In the control bussiness i don't think it is sufficient that coyote getting away wounded could mean 300-3,000 dollars in livestock loss. Thats why i shoot a 22-6mm for most of the year.

For the recreational caller out for sport and fur I BELIEVE the 204 is probably the best caliber out there.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!