calling in the wind

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

rhino
coyotehunter

calling in the wind

Post by rhino »

I ask hunters how windy it has to be before they don't go out and call. Some say they call no matter what and others say 15mph is enough. Where I hunt it seems like the wind never stops. Any thoughts?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Well the coyotes are still out there and they can here at far greater distances than you or I. I have had some pretty good days calling with 15+ mph wind. I think it is not as enjoyable to call when it gets real windy and that is the issue for most guys whether or not they will admit it. I think you maybe better off calling a cross wind instead of right into it. I also don't think you need to sit on stand as long as you would with a calm day, where animals can literally hear you for miles. I try to consider where they can get out of the wind and call those spots hard, getting alot closer to the cover. I also think with a heavy wind that your scent gets blown all over the place and makes animals more nervous. They can not hear or smell as well as they do on a day that has, say a 5-10 mile an hour wind. The wind noise will also help in the sense it covers up alot of noise that you and your vehicle make getting on stand. The other thing to consider is if you never called when it was 15+ MPH wind you would never get a chance to call North Dakota.
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

Thanks for the response. I often wondered if calling in closer to the cover is worth it. That is what I will probably try tomorrow. I have some river bottom and coulee land that is out of the wind to call on. This weekend's forecast is pretty windy with warm temperatures. I wish the 0-10 above weather would arrive.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

We had such a nice summer I suppose we where due for some bad weather. Take some pictures and let us know how you do. My experience with river bottoms is that you have to make alot more sets. The sound just does not seem to carry very far. I would assume that the trees and the river banks break the sound up pretty good. I call over here in the timber occasionally and the trees really eat the sound up.
Rich Cronk

Post by Rich Cronk »

"I wish the 0-10 above weather would arrive."
----------------------------------------------
Rhino,
Once those temperatures get there, do ya reckon maybe you can trap em and keep em in your area? Us old guys like the weather a bit more balmy. :)
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

It is way to warm up here!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bring on the 15 below :D
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Rich Cronk

Post by Rich Cronk »

15 below? Shut up Brad! Makes me shivver just thinking about it. :wink:
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Rich Rich Rich your old age is making you soft! :D 15 below is just when the fun gets started up here!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Rich Cronk

Post by Rich Cronk »

"Rich Rich Rich your old age is making you soft!"
---------------------------------------------
Brad,
Now you are starting to catch on. 8)

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:44 am.