Tips for hunting swamps and woods

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Tips for hunting swamps and woods

Post by lyonch »

I was just curious if anybody had any tips for me. I am hunting for coyotes in central minnesota. The last three years i was fortunate enough to hunt them in north dakota but now that i a have transfered schools to st. cloud i am curious on what the best way to hunt the greatest predator of all times in a more enclosed wooded area. Any tips would be great.

thanks
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I feel for you. I am living right in the Paul Bunyan state forest and it is tough hunting in the woods. I have had some luck calling pastures up here just like home but I have several friends who live here and have shot them out of tree stands. there are lots of pine and popple trees that the light weight portable tree stands work well in. I wouldn't call any different if what you have been doing out in the plains was working for you. It is a differnent coyote over here but they respond to a call the same. I have heard that area south of Wadena has some big open country with rolling hills maybe more to your liking. I have not called it but have talked with a few guys who have.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

thanks for the info jamie!! A lot of the people i talk to around here shoot most of them in there deerstands hunting deer too. when i go out at night i can hear them all over but when it comes time to call them in and make the deal it seems like it doesn't happen.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Get a partner and have him 50-75 yards down wind wihen you are calling in the trees. This worked well when I was calling down in West Texas in the thick Mesquite.