Field skinning

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

LeviM
coyotehunter

Field skinning

Post by LeviM »

I just watched the movie "skinning for profit". I had a few questions, maybe some of you guys can Answer for me. I was wondering whats the best way to hang your coyotes when your out in the field. I noticed in the video he had a nice attachment for his truck where he could hang the coyote. I was also wondering if I decide to take my coyotes home after a day of hunting, whats the best way to unthaw the coyote so the fur peels off easily? I am new to the skinning proccess, I have been hunting coyotes pretty much my whole life and we alway just take the coyote to the fur dealer, but the way it sounds I can make much more money putting the fur up myself. Any tips would be great, with the fresh snow on the way I will hopefully get a few coyotes this week.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

It has been my experience that once the fat sets up it makes the job of skinning a time consuming process that is not enjoyable. That is why alot of buyers use some sort of wench either hand or electric to pull the hide off. I try to carry some twine with when ever I go out, and have used fence posts, telephone poles (not recommended) and trees as an anchor. When I went out with Craig O'Gorman he had a a post and gambel mounted on his front bumper. Which is the way to go. It will cut your time in half doing it in the field, instead of waiting until you get home and trying to thaw the carcass out on the floor. If you do have to wait, throw the coyote on a wood pallet and get him up off of the floor so you have air moving around the animal. A fan and 60 deg. temp seems to work just fine.

Last edited by Coyotehunter on Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Thanks Jamie, I will have to figure out someway to skin them in the field. I think the rope Idea is a good way to go.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I pull my coyotes to the truck with a yote tote by E.L.K or you can make your own REALLY easily. I use the same thing for hanging them in the field for pics or skinning. If i remember right that is what is holding that coyote that Jamie is skinning in that picture.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I think we broke it.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

You just didn't know your own strength LOL :D
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!