Rookie needs LOTS of help!!!

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Sparkaholic2002

Rookie needs LOTS of help!!!

Post by Sparkaholic2002 »

Which gun would you advise a Rookie to buy for his first rifle??

Which scope would you advise the Rookie to put on this rifle??

Which mouthpiece calls would you recommend the Rookie starting out with??

Last but not least, are any of you from the Texas Panhandle??

Thanks for your time and help.
Randy[/b]
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

If you don't have any rifles at all right now 243 good dual purpose caliber. If your going to buy a coyote rifle 223,22.250,204,17Rem which ever you think best suits your terrain and needs as far as fur damage and range.

4x12 scope of a quality brand such as Burris, Leupold, ect

Critr Calls (standard, pee wee song dog JR ect)

Sorry i'm from ND but would love to get to your area to chase kitty's

Hope this helps

Brad
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Sparkaholic2002

Thanks Brad

I've deer hunted all my life and my dad gave me a 30-06 when I was about 12 and now that he is gone, that is all I will ever shoot deer with. However it's alittle much for coyotes.

I was really trying to decide between the 204 and the 22-250 and had just about made up my mind to go with the 204, when a really good friend of mine offered me his Remington 223 with a synthetic stock (It has had less than 1 box of shells shot through it) and a really nice scope at $300.00 for the combo. He just doesn't have time to hunt much anymore. He is supposed to bring it by tomorrow, and I'm fairly sure that I will buy it from him.

I was reading another board and they offered the same advice on Critr Calls. Whet I found interesting is on the other board and this one is many people suggested that Rookies get one or more of Randy Anderson's videos, but not a single person on that board recommended any of the Calls that Randy uses?? I just found that odd.

I do appreciate the response Brad, and who knows maybe someday we will hook-up and get to hunt together. I've spent a little time in your country and my wife is from North of you.

Thanks
Randy
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I use Randy Anderson calls. I have the Ki-Yi and the Hot Dog and Double Whammy but I also Have a Critter call I like them all and have worked well for me I also have several other calls but these are the ones I use the most. I shoot a .220 swift and a AR-15 .223 they are good calibers but the swift does do more damage. I will agree with Brad don't skimp on optics. :D Just my opinion..
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I believe that the Song Dog is one of the best calls made but if you are just starting out the open reed calls are not the easiest to use. A $7 closed reed call, Jackrabbit or cottontail is perfect for the beginner. I would start with that and work into using the open reed calls.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Jamie

What is your opinion on the volume of the Song Dog for howling? How many barrel extensions do you use for optimum results? I have really grown attached to my Magnum recently for ki-yis. Great sound I just hope they aren't TOO loud.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Alot of times the Song Dog is the only call I carry with me on hunts. I have recently been using a Dorn Whistle that is very loud and can do all that the Song Dog can do but is not as easy to blow on and it is made out of brass. I think for most of the time the Song Dog is plenty loud but I am sure on those super windy days it may not be getting out as far as I would like. I have been surprised at times in 15 MPH + winds how far I am able to pull them in. I would have to think though that the Magnum would be better on those windy days but for me the Song Dog works very well in most all situations. It is a easy call to blow and makes all the sounds you will ever need to kill coyotes.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Jamie

I asked this because the other night we went night calling and I was using my Song Dog (I thought it was too quiet) but I am so used to my Red DEsert Howler being so loud. Granted you are hearing the sounds from 1 foot away and the carried sound might be way different. Also the coyotes have much better hearing than us. When you howl on your Song Dog, do you give it all you have? I really like mine because like you said I can do all sounds on it (distress, ki yi, howls).
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

spark,

I just bought a remington .223 synthetic. I really like it. the gun seems to shoot pretty straight.
Sparkaholic2002

Song Dog??

Jamie, are their any sponsors who sell calls and gear for predator hunting that support this board?? I would prefer to purchase a Song Dog from them, and if not who would you recommend buying from??

I do appreciate all the responses.
Randy
Rich Cronk

Post by Rich Cronk »

Sparkaholic2002,
Since you are in the texas panhandle, you are probably familiar with Shamrock, texas which is over on I-40. I used to travel down there every year, and sometimes twice a year to call coyotes. I would stop in at a place called Fat Jacks there in Shamrock to pick up my license. I would then drive south to Wellington, texas where I would stay for a few days while hunting. The coyotes around there will come to any distress crys of small animals. Howling works well also. The crit'r call "standard" is a good all around call, and I like their "magnum" for howling. Another dandy call to consider is Johnny Stewart's PC-3, which is a "bite" type of call.
Good hunting to you,
Rich Cronk
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I will have my shopping cart up and running hopefully by the end of this month. I have a link on the front page. It will have the CritR-calls for sale along with several other brands. Along with camo, video's, Berger Bullets, etc.
Sparkaholic2002

Yes Rich, although I live on the south end of the Panhandle, I know where Shamrock and Wellington are. I would think the hunting there would be great!!! Next time Im in Sharock, I will have to look up Fat Jacks.

Rich did you ever receive any bounty or hide money from the Coyotes you shot in the Texas Panhandle. I would think compared to you folks up North, hides would be hard to sell down here..

Jamie, I appreciate the response, I will wait until you have the web page functional and then I will order from there.

Thanks for the responses.
Randy
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Thanks Sparkaholic2002!

Fallguy I use just the one extension and I usely give her all she has when I am howling.
Sparkaholic2002

Bi-Pod Question

I've seen all kinds of set-ups for bi-pods. From the taped together dowels from Wal-Mart to the some pretty sophisticated looking pieces of equipment. I'd like to hear everyones opinion on bi-pods which one they prefer and why???

Thanks
Randy