Moon Phases and coyote activity???

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Moon Phases and coyote activity???

Post by lyonch »

i have a question regarding the moon phases and how it effects the way a coyote behaves. On friday and saturday i went to bismarck with a buddy and made alot of stands from sunrise to sunset both days and yet we only saw 2 coyotes and they were both spotted while driving in the truck. I know that when i fox hunted in the past that the new moon was always the best time to hunt. I was wondering if coyotes act the same way. My opinion is that it is easier for them to hunt at night time during a full moon. There was alot of sign of coytoes in the area but just couldn't get any to commit to a rabbit call, howling, or fawn deistress. If you could post your opinion on this subject i would appreciate it.

Thanks for the info
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I was out myself the past few days calling. I was out Thursday night till 1:30am and I heard lots of coyotes moving around. I did not get much of a response during daylight hours Friday or Sunday. Friday and Saturday I only called in a Badger, and a coyote. I tried to call a coyote out of his bed but she wouldn't move. I finaly shot her at 255 yards while she was sleeping. I watched her for quite awhile before decideing I did not want to wait for her to stand up any longer. When I went down to get her I had to finish it off with the shotgun. I shot the bitch and then went into the brush to get her. When I came out there was a coyote standing at 130 yards away looking at me. I could not get the gun on it fast enough before he got in the brush. Thursday night I only called three spots a total of 6 stands and had 4 come in. I do not know what came in that I did not see since the snow cover was spotty I was having trouble seeing anything that looked like a coyote. What snow was there was like stepping on light bulbs. No wind at all that night and very little cloud cover. I think you are right on about the new moon being a good time to be out calling. Though you can certainly call coyotes after a full moon as well, I talked with Brad T. on Saturday and he had shot 4 coyotes and fox, hunting Friday and Saturday. I think if you are in an area with a lot of hunting pressure and good night time weather conditions I would say your coyotes are going to be as nocturnal as they can be. With out the hunting pressure I think coyotes would prefer to hunt during the daylight hours. I have read several studies that prove that point, but I do not know of to many areas that have unmolested coyotes running around these days. I seen wheel tracks in almost every spot I called and snowmobile tracks everywhere else. The coon where moving this weekend, I snared two out of one pasture today, and a skunk. Which you do not see the first part of January. I missed a coyote in the same pasture, snare was fired and all I had was a tuft of hair. I assume he got thru the loop and it dropped on his tail. He will be back.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Papapete and I called Friday and part of Saturday in Wells County and it was windy as hell. We didn't have very good luck. The only coyotes I got any shots at we actually set up right on top of them. It wasn't until Derek started calling that they got up. I shot this male at 200 yards. We also had to finish him off with the shotgun. You can't see in the picture but he had really long hair on the top of his neck. 5 1/2 inches deep.

lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Thanks for the info guys!! At least i know i wasn't the only one who had a crappy weekend. At least we were able to get out there and give it a shot next time i am going to watch for a little better moon phase. It was educational none the least, good experience for tournaments if we ever get stuck in that situation. I plan on hutning this weekend around central minnesota in some areas that i originally grew up in and know that the coyotes have never been called to in these areas. I will let you guys know how i do when i get back on monday.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

lyonch-

It seems like you and I always have crappy weekends when we hunt together!! I really am starting to think that you are bad luck. :roll: Hopefully next weekend we can get on some coyotes.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

well levi its either our calling skills or maybe it is me and my bad luck!!! I only saw one today in the st cloud area and he gave me the slip so this coming weekend i saved the better spots to give it a try. Maybe we will connect and break this shitty streak we are having. :wink: