different ways to hunt coyotes

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

rhino
coyotehunter

different ways to hunt coyotes

Post by rhino »

I hear of people hunting coyotes with pickups. They drive in the fields and shoot. In the ND furbearer guide it states that driving offroad is not allowed during deer season. So I am assuming not during deer season it is okay to hunt offroad with a pickup. So if this is legal, is it really hunting? I don't call that hunting in my book. Anyone have thoughts on this topic?
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

it is illegal to chase or harass any game with a motor vehicle in the state of ND
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

that is what I thought but the furbearer guide is very vague.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

There was a group of guys from wisconsin last year that lost all three of their trucks to the dnr officers of north dakota because they got caught chasing coyotes threw the fields with their truck and shooting at them out the window. Just like brad said there is a not tollerance policy in chasing any animal with a motorized vehicle. Sure to some that might be sporting but for me i would have to say no. If it seems too vague then the dnr office should be contacted and have that issue brought to their attention. But thanks for pointing that out rhino!!
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

lyonch,

I sent an email to the game and fish today and asked them this same question. I will post what I hear back. The people I talk to that drive their pickups say the do not see anything in the proclamation so it must be legal. All I tell them is that it is not hunting, anyone can drive and chase animals it doesn't take any practice, but I would like to see them hunt on foot and try calling coyotes in. That definitely takes patience and practice.
Thanks for your comments.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

If you see this happening in the state of ND please call it in it is Illegal and should be stopped!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I agree It should be called in and stop!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I agree people that do that just because it doesn't say you can't in a rulebook are poor excuses for sportsmen. They should have an open season on THEM.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

thanks for the update rhino!! keep us posted on the subject cause this is something that nobody should get away with. Brad is right if anybody sees this happening call your local game and fish department and bring the situation to their attention. All we can do as hunters is stick together and keep the bad rap away to help fight the anti hunters. Maybe somebody should chase andshoot at them as they are trying to run through 2 feet of snow.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

AMEN