coyote hunting sites

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

coyote hunting sites

Post by Coyotehunter »

I was talking with Brad T. this morning and after talking with him I decided to do some snooping around on some other sites. Lots of conversation about things that are not coyote hunting. I know we live in a world with a lot of charged political issues but it is nice to have a discussion with out every one jumping on every ones else right to have an opinion. Seems to me that if you don't agree with the bulk of the bloggers on the site you are following, you risk a public attack on your character from people you can not see. I have always wanted this site to be entertaining and informative. With the root of the topic to revolve around Hunting, Trapping, and snaring predators. I even get some mail from guys who are died in the wool predator huntes who don't like Tournament hunting for coyotes. I have heard it all and even from some members of my own family. Even though they do not have an opinion about fishing tournaments, goose tournaments, etc.

I have read studies against USDA Wildlife services, the use of aerial gunning and M-44. saying that it is a dated policy to control predator for a select few Ranchers. Animal rights think it is un-ethical and some sportsman think it un-ethical. When a Rancher or farmer depends on a sale of watermelons or sheep to pay his bills, the coyote is just another pest that needs to be controled.

I myself don't agree with chasing coyotes with vehicles if you are sport hunting, I do not like calling in an area where hunters are running dogs after coyotes, but I have no problem with decoy dogs. It is a complicated discussion trying to tell someone why you personally don't agree with how some one else was raised to hunt. I grew up running Racoon with dogs but I can not stomach running coyotes with dogs.

I think everyone has a level of comfort in the things that they do but maybe not so comfortable with how someone else is doing it. This seems very natural to me because it depends on where you come from, how you where taught, and your personal level of dedication to the sport. How much effort do you want to put into it.

Everyone has an opinion of what an ethical hunter is but there is know one who will live up to everyones expectation of an ethical hunter. A better term maybe "Fair chase".

We have a Game and Fish department that is in place among many other things to help establish what "Fair Chase" is for each given species. That may mean Day or Night hunting, type of weapon, use of dogs, min./max. caliber that can be used, with a list of other considerations a mile long. They do this with hunter input. That is where the Legislative branch comes into play. Some of the existing laws on the books concerning coyotes and coyote hunting is antiquated and needs to be updated to reflect the hunting pressure and needs of the livestock and crop producers of 2007.

I think that everyones opinion is needed in order to produce rules that effect everyone and allow the majority of the participants to have the type of experience they are looking for when they go out in to the field.

This site will encourage everyones opinion but will not tolerate open bashing of an individual or group. (ok I may take exception to some animal rights groups) If you have a point to make that is great but if it is not educational or entertaining...well please consider what you are writeing prior to submission. You may have trouble convincing us that it is relevant to the discussion of coyotes if all you are doing is telling some one off. Even if it is in a creative way. :D

You pick fights in bars, not chat forums on the internet.

We all want to hear about current events and get everyones opinion of the subjects that interest you but lets try to keep things relevant to predator hunting. If you want to discuss politics for instance lets try to direct the conversation to how it effects us as hunters, trappers, and snaremen.

Jamie
littlebigenuf
coyotehunter

Post by littlebigenuf »

Very well stated Jamie and that is why I joined Coyotehunter.net. Seems like everyone compliments each others discussions and builds upon them rather than bashing anyone. Keep up the good work everyone.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

This is by far the best site out there in my opinion. I really enojoy reading about coyote hunting and others opinions on coyote hunting. What I enjoy the most about this site is that there is no B.S. Everyones questions and opinions are Legitimate. Every topic is straight foward and to the point. There are no questions that repeat themselves over and over again. I also feel comfortable asking questions because I know I will get a straight answer, and I feel that I am getting a great answer from all you "predator hunting pros"

After joining this site I have met alot of great people. I would of never met any of you if I hadn't joined the site and did some of the tournaments that were posted. I am already looking foward to next years tournaments!! and hanging out with some of you guys, and picking your brain!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

I agree with Levi. I skim through fishingbuddy.com once a day but rarely post anything. that site is not about hunting anymore; alot of other stuff that doesn't interest me. I like this site because everyone is straight forward and there isn't any bashing going on. with coyotehunter.net you are not afraid to post unlike other sites that whine about anything and bash people. You have done a good thing here Jamie. Keep it going.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Also if you ever met Jamie you know how authentic, fair, honest and friendly he is. You know that carries over to coyotehunter.net.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Well put jamie but i will say that it is hard to keep it that way. If everyone gives the other guys opinon a fair thought and then puts up their own opinion and we keep the threads to predator hunting there shouldn't be a problem but lets keep the soapboxs put away and the he said/she said bs gets checked at the door
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Brad that is a really good point!!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
papapete
coyotehunter

Post by papapete »

One of the things that i like is that we all seem to be on the same page when in comes to ethics. Nearly all posters on here are very knowledgeable when it comes to predator hunting.

Keep up the good work Jamie
"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I like that we are the same guy trying to get a coyote and not trying to be so called experts on the politics sides of things!!! Some guys don't understands that we are trying to hunt coyotes not have a political debate with them. When somebody mentions something on the site we don't have those few guys that want it explained out to them word for word. Keep up the great work Jamie and Brad this is by far the most visited site for me everyday.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Well put Jamie, I have tried to incorporate that into my thinking on this site and other sites. Everybody is entitled to their own thinking. There are a few sites that I just get frustrated with. I won't mention any but some are getting pretty picky. Most people are very good and have a lot of great input. I am a moderator on another site and things are pretty good there with no bashing. Let's keep it that way.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I agree!!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
crtrgtr223
coyotehunter

Post by crtrgtr223 »

It might not count for much, but add my name to the list for total agreement with
everyone posted above me.This is a great site with good people, great ideas,and great information! All for the common cause of taking coyotes, and having a good time while doing it. Legaly AND ethically!
jason_n

Post by jason_n »

I've noticed so far that the typical pot stirring isn't going on its amazing how many guy will fall into the 17hmr and 22lr threads for dedicated coyot calibers, that one really bugs me, use em for dispatch when you got em in a trap fine. The know how of the moderators and other members with positive comments is also great.
Bang! Dang!
Urbanhunter
coyotehunter

Re: coyote hunting sites

Post by Urbanhunter »

Nice Coyotehunter !!

UrbanHunter raising beer can up.
Tango
coyotehunter

Re: coyote hunting sites

Post by Tango »

just wondering, i have noticed that alot of tournaments have been over in the western part of ND. last yr. before i applied for my deer licenses i went into 2g1 area and had talked with a number of people (farmers) east of Lisbon and thru the conversation we came up on coyotes in the area. he said that they use to have alot of pheasants in the area, but that population had went down alot. their problem are coyotes, he said that almost everyone (farmer, rancher) he knows would allow them on their land just to get rid of the coyotes. i live in the southeast corner of ND, just a suggestion for thought is to have a contest in this area. i don't now what the requirements are to have a tournament or any of the legalities of it all, but i can say that their would be a number of farmers happier and maybe even a few business owners with the extra bodies in their stores. just something to think about. i know of maybe five to seven people that would be interested in it on Thur. - Sat. evening. nothing on Sunday cause we all go to church services. but hey i understand that it is not all about a selected few either. 8)