New rifle. My ultimate tourny rifle

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

devildogg
coyotehunter

New rifle. My ultimate tourny rifle

Post by devildogg »

Over the last couple of years id been kicking around the idea of a custom gun. then i was at the sportsmans loft in minot last summer and saw an old rem. 700 bdl 243. they wanted 650 for it i was just setting it back on the shelf and decided to pull the bolt and the barrel was shot. I offered them 200 for it and they said 250 and i said sold. took it to nathan dagley in center looked at some of the guns he had to get some ideas. man i tell you trying to decide on a barrel and contour and stock just about drove me insane. so after talking to a lot of smiths and doing a lot of web surfing i decided on a pac nor ss super match #4 contour and had it fluted 22" finished length. the stock is a darrel holland signature series which i think is made by mcmillan. im having the action trued with a tactical style knob put on the bolt. im very excited about this gun been a while since i had a new gun. but any way i talked to the gunsmith and it should be done next week i just about cant wait anymore its like waiting to open your christmas presents when you were a kid. if anybody has any tips on how to break in a new barrel i would love the advice. oh and the caliber is still a 243.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: New rifle. My ultimate tourny rifle

Post by lyonch »

Sounds like a winning rifle devildogg :wink: For breaking in a barrel, i think you are going to get a million opinions on how to do it. I would just do some research of some well known shooters and see how they do it.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

good choice devildog.not sure of the break-in steps. custom barrel may be different than a factory. i've never done anything to break in a barrel and i've had lots. now for your ULTIMATE tournament rifle. if i were you, i'd slap a 2x7 Tasco pronghorn on for glass is the highest mounts you can find, the ones with see through bottoms would be great :D and for loads, prolly the 80 fmj's :D :wink: are you gonna be in mandan next week??
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Sounds sweet.Post a pic when done.Never had a PacNor but always heard good things about them.
Here's a simple break in procedure its hard to go wrong with.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/support/cen ... enance.htm

Good hunting with it!!!!
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Devildog, my partner just got his custom back a few weeks ago from Nathan (from center) and the gun FLAT OUT SHOOTS :shock: The break in recomended ( by nathan) was shoot one clean after each for the first 5. Than shoot 3 clean after each group for 3 or 5 groups (memory slip) than clean after 25 rounds.....

I know that my buddy is anal about cleaning so he went clean after every shot for the first 15 than after every 3 shot group fop the next 10. and he cleans after trip almost....

But I can tell you what, that gun has less than 100 round through it and its one hole groups @100yrds almost every time :shock: :shock: He went with a 6x47 Lapua, Kreiger barrel (varmint contour) in stainless, a McMillan A3-5 (almost positive on the stock) 700 rem action of course and than toped it off with a Mark 4 in 6.5x20x50.....

Did you go standard .243 vanilla? Make sure you get it bedded properly (or do it right) if your doing it... This gun building can drive a guy nuts, I know what you talking about when you say you couldn't decide what to do with a build...
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

optimax90 nathan is going to do all work like bedding action. thanks for the breakin info what nathan told your buddy is exactly what i read on the pacnor web site this morning. as for rings and a scope i will be putting on a BSA catseye 6.5-200 and the barrel has been drilled and tapped to except some williams fire sights fiber optic sights and the rings are the ones that you can look through below the scope to still see your sights. :D BNB As for the real rings they are talley ring base combos that are all in one and the scope is just a 4-12 leupy with a kenton ind. bdc knob that will be custom made for the load that i come up with. it is just a straight up 243. i cant see messn around with the ackley stuff for me it just seemed like more of a hassle. dont get me wrong it would be cool to have an ackley but just not a 243 didnt seem like you would gain all that much in the load data that i looked up. thanks for the replies guys.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

You're in good hands with Nathan, he does exceptional work. He's the only smith that i'll have touch my guns.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

hey I don't know if you are serious about the glass you plan on putting on there, but that gun will only shoot as strait as the glass will hold it to. Don't know how to say this without coming off like a ass, but to build a custom gun a throw low end optics on it is a crime :? For the money of a new BSA you could find a used luppy or nikon that would be ALOT better than that BSA!!! IMO......
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

and the scope is just a 4-12 leupy with a kenton ind. bdc knob that will be custom made for the load that i come up with.
Youre gonna love that Kenton bdc dial.. :D
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

wish I would of read that better, now I look like a real ass :oops: :oops:
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Optimax90 wrote:wish I would of read that better, now I look like a real ass :oops: :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: lmao
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Ive done barrel break-in every which way and I cant tell any difference in how the gun ends up shooting. These days I'll clean them in increments that fit in with my load work. I normally test 15 to 20 rounds at a time and clean in between my shooting sessions. I don't like to clean guns outdoors if I don't have to. Sounds like a sensible rifle.
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

bucksnbears wrote:
Optimax90 wrote:wish I would of read that better, now I look like a real ass :oops: :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: lmao
Gald I could help you out with that :oops: :oops:
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

wondering what twist you had put in and why the 22"barrel?? i woulda thought a 24" would have been better for a .243. not critisizing just wondering. do you have a certain load/bullet in mind??
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

the twist i went with was a 1-9. this gun will be will be my go to gun for everything coyotes and deer. my bullet of choice if it will shoot it is going to be a 69gr match var. berger still pretty fast and big enough to buck the wind. this bullet is a very fur friendly bullet shot a lot of coyotes with it last year out of my other 243. for deer i like to use 100gr harnady interlok thats why a 1-9 twist. the 22in barrel, i wanted the barrel as short as i dare have it made to make the gun a little lighter and for fast handling. i did a lot of talking to gunsmiths all over the state and all seemed to think that a 22in barrel on a 243 should be just fine and i would not gain all that much vel. going to a 24 or 26.