Calling for fox

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Calling for fox

Post by lyonch »

I was curious on how you guys call when you taget fox. I am probably going to be taking a guy this sunday out to an area that him and i pheasent hunt in minnesota. The farmers in the area said that they rarely if ever see a coyote but they are seeing a few fox. Levi and I always did spot and stalk technique for fox when i was living in fargo. I only called in a pair that was out hunting in the field and i just used my lips to lip squeak and they came running. When i tried using the rabbit distress call a couple times on some different ones they seem to just not pay attention to it. We just received a 13" dumping of snow in st. cloud and are expected 8-10 unches more by the weekend. I would think that the predators should be out and about.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I don't ever target fox anymore unless i see one from the road or something because there just isn't enough around anymore. I have trouble with fox really going down wind and coming real slow. I have had some pretty good fox men say that they don't lean against cover like we all do for coyotes because it seems to make them spooky. Instead he lays down flat in the wide open and concentrates on abandoned farmsteds.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

thanks for the info brad!!!! I haven't targeted fox for about 3 years now due to the same facts that you haven't. The area is a big open flat area with not much cover. The guy that wants to go would like to take a few if we can out of the area. I would like to target coyotes but i will have to make do with what is there.
Chris Lyon

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

If you are going after Fox I would try to do your calling at night. Very spooky and nocturnal. With all the snow I would try to do a lot of glassing on any high spot and if you have any sun look to the south side of those high spots. In the Valley we would watch the rock piles and the drifts off of shelter belts. If you find Hay stackes, Fox love to get on top and take a nap. If you have a lot of snow and it does not have a crust look for stands of pine trees, fox do not travel well in soft deep snow. They will run those pines because there is little to no snow under the limbs and the Fox can travel easily. I have heard that bird sounds work well with Fox. I do not call at night and have not spent very much time calling fox. When the conditions where right I have seen as many as 4 Fox in one section sleeping on snow drifts.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Thats what levi and i did in fargo was look for them sleeping with a lot of glassing. Thats good to know about the pine trees. I will have to watch for that.
Chris Lyon