Jim Zumbo

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Jim Zumbo

Post by Coyotehunter »

Did anyone read the article in the Minneapolis paper on Jim Zumbo? I heard about it but have not read it yet.
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Ya I read it. The one on assult rifles thats the one your talking about right. He wrote a blog about it and it backfired on him now he has lost his TV show and everything. He kinda let his mouth outrun his brain. :?
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

You summed that up very well Daryl.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

some commets you should just think about before you actually say them! :roll:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have been hearing bits and pieces. I did read the blog and I am amazed how much trouble he got himself into.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

If I heard right, he pretty much blew his whole career!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I believe they refer to that as "career and political suicide" :x
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
papapete
coyotehunter

Post by papapete »

I know that Outdoorlife and remmington or winchester severed all ties with him. Its funny how one minute of conversation can destroy an entire career.
"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Yeah it makes a guy think a little bit about our actions.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I can not say for sure if I agree with how he has been treated. I do ot know the man, I have watched his show a few time but have not followed any of his writting. I am sure there are many of our Dads and Grandfathers that would have the same opinion as Mr. Zumbo about assualt rifles in the field for hunting purposes. I do not agree with what he had to say but there are lots of these personalities that I do not agree with. Look how many of them hunt with-in fences, which is something I completely disagree with. We have for years as hunters tried to be excepted by the general population and often times have found ourselves trying to explain our place in the outdoors. I think what we have done for the conservation of wildlife helps offset what many of the people of big cities in the name of progress destroy. For me it is a balancing act of acceptance bordering on tolerance of each others view points.

The most vocal group in the firearms comunnity has been for the years that portion that owns assualt rifles. I feel that they are parimount to the continued freedoms that we enjoy in the field. We all owe anyone who takes the time to be involved in the political system to further our rights and maintain the freedoms we do have a great deal of gratitude.

Saying all of that I am also very uncomfortable with the way he has been treated. I may not be able to rationalize this but I can tell you it is hard for me to read how it is destroying his career. He may just have had a bad hunting trip and decided to put down what he was thinking with out considering the far reaching and long lasting consiquences of putting thought down on paper.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I think it is a bit sad to see a mans career go down the tubes like this but the fact of the matter is that he represents the hunting community in a lot of ways. Similiar in a lot of ways as our president represents our country. In saying that he let out what his true feelings are and that is not the mentality that i want in someone representing me.

You know the saying united we stand and divided we fall i think this is just a good example of how the anti-gun side got to one us.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Well put.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

hopefully he will be forgiving and the subject will be forgotten about. I hate to see someone loose a career (no matter what career) for commenting on an opinion.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
littlebigenuf
coyotehunter

Post by littlebigenuf »

I was curious on how many fellow coyote hunters use the so called "black/assault" rifles for hunting coyotes and why? I was considering looking around this summer for one but I want to know if they are more accurate or if if people shoot them because you can rapid fire. Any opinions would be helpful.
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I shoot a DPMS arctic panther some times while calling and I guess I wouldn't say it is a better shooting rifle than my heavy barrel .220. AR-15's generally have shorter barrels even though mine is a one inch fluted it is only 20 inches long they are just real nice for quick follow up shots. For accuracey I would stick to a heavy barrel bolt rifle but this is my opinion and I am sure someone will disagree.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...