Pet Coyote

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Re: Pet Coyote

Post by petsr4ever »

Well, as I said in an earlier post, I probably will never get to have the experience of raising a coyote, as it wouldn't be legal. But I would still love to have had the experience. I can't explain why I want to do these things, but I just do. I would also like a pet skunk, but it's illegal to have one of those in N.D. no matter what. And you can even buy one of them from a breeder in a state where it's legal to have them. I would have also liked to have had a pet deer. I guess I could get one of those from a breeder, too, and get a permit to have one of them. They are pretty easy to tame if raised from a young one. It would probably make a good buddy to our goat. We have Canadian geese, but we have a permit to keep them. They are actually friendlier than some of the domestic geese we've had. We have a big fenced in area with a man-made pond for them out in back of our house. We keep their wings clipped since they've been raised in captivity and wouldn't know where to fly to if they could fly. We just love all the animals. All of them.
Tango
coyotehunter

Post by Tango »

in my past experience of giving advice to someone that has asked my opinion on something, when they CONTINUE on the path of wanting what they want, they are not actually looking for sound advice, but for someone to agree/on their side or just stir the pot to be the odd ball. My advice Pet4ever GO 4 IT jump through all the red tape & do it legally because you will anyways & maybe you have already by this time. But know this that coyote is actual that from the time of birth to the time it dies (lead or natural) they are a wild animal on the inside, you dont have to teach them how to be wild, it is their nature. some animals might adjust to being domestic better than others. point in case YOU can take a cobra snake (from very young) put him in the very best, thickest glass & take all the precautions that can possible be done by YOU. but what about your children, friends, their children etc. are YOU going to stand by that cobra 24/7 to make sure everything that needs to be done so everyone is same. yes an individual can put a lock on it but what kind of QUALITY of life would that be. to fully in enjoy that snake one would have to pull it out hold it & such, which increases your DANGEROUS ENCOUTER not only for you but everyone else. same can be said about this fetish of having a coyote yes you could have one but will have to have it enclosed if you do what kind of quality of life would it have just for your AMUSEMENT. if you dont enclose it fine but when he does something to one of you family members or another animal on your property or your neighbors property out of pure natural instincts then what are you going to do because you WILL BE LIABLE for any mishaps. my dad use to say "YOU CAN TAKE THE ANIMAL OUT OF THE WILD, BUT YOU CAN NEVER TAKE THE WILD OUT OF THE WILD." wish u the best on your adventure of obtaining a coyote, i advise you to go to MONTANA DECOYS & purchase one of there best coyote decoys that way you can put it anywhere. Fleet farm has the 3D ones MD are only paper 2D. thats is my 2-3 cents worth. if i am already to late & you decided against getting one then i apologize for my lateness
right where God wants me
Tango
coyotehunter

Post by Tango »

Here i found this AFTER my first post. this is from the "the fund for animals" website http://www.fundforanimals.org/cape/stor ... _pups.html

Four Coyote Pups Released to Howl Again in the Night

CAPE WILDLIFE CENTER @2006
Coyote pups relax together at the Cape Wildlife Center.

“Orphaned coyote pups may seem little different from puppies, and the idea of keeping one as a pet can be hard to resist.” This quote from the free (email us if you’d like a copy) Humane Society of the United States pamphlet, Coyotes: Living in Harmony with Your Wild Neighbors, pertinently describes the Cape Wildlife Center’s recent work.

In early April, a center volunteer, who happens to be an animal control officer in Hull, Massachusetts, visited a neighboring town’s animal control offices and was shown a beautiful litter of pups. The pups had been found on the doorstep of the shelter. Two weeks old at the time of their abandonment, the pups didn’t even have their eyes open yet. The volunteer acknowledged that the animals were indeed beautiful but informed the shelter they were not puppies—they were baby coyotes. So, three healthy female coyote pups came to the center to grow up.

Caring for coyotes is a difficult balancing act. They need to be fed and their living quarters cleaned, but their contact with people must be restricted. Coyotes can quickly become accustomed to the sights and sounds of humans; they lose their natural fear and begin to accept people as a source of food. In order to assure that the pups would be able to be released back into the wild, the center staff needed to limit contact, and only two people were assigned the care and feeding of the coyotes.

In June, another coyote pup was brought to the center. The two month old, male coyote pup had been found and taken in by a man in Framingham, Massachusetts, and had lived in his rescuer’s house for a week. He arrived at the center totally focused on people. He wagged his tail and licked the staff during his intake examination and any time he saw a person. He was healthy and acted like a domesticated dog.

Why was he brought to the center after a week when it seemed that he might have been kept as a pet by his rescuer? The answer became apparent that first evening at mealtime. He was very food aggressive; the clinic staff needed to use caution when handling him around food.

After his initial screening and treatment for roundworm, he was introduced to the older coyotes in hopes of him bonding with the three females The next few days were particularly difficult for staff as there was one unhappy coyote pup who was not afraid to express himself. He cried for hours, stopping only from exhaustion or when someone came to feed and clean the enclosure. Then he clung to the pant legs of the staff person and even tried to climb up their legs to be held. He cried for days—it was heartbreaking to hear him and know no one could go and comfort him. It was a difficult but necessary process to break him of his dependence on human companionship.

It worked! The little guy was accepted into the pack. The pack is led by an alpha female, who has been in control right from the beginning.

Fully independent at nine months, the the four juvenile coyotes are going to be released this month. An early fall return to the wild will allow them to acclimate to the area and identify food sources before the winter sets in. The area of release has been coordinated with Massachusetts Fish & Wildlife, but for the safety of the animals, the exact location and date is not being disclosed. The coyotes will be released in a natural area to give them a good head start and minimize their chances of interacting with people.

The staff of the Cape Wildlife Center has strong emotions concerning the young pack, who have overcome abandonment as puppies to become mature coyotes. Coyotes are beautiful, intelligent animals. They have shown their species’ ability to adapt and flourish in spite of human interference. This most persecuted species of animal deserves to be valued as a natural part of the world they share with people. We are ecstatic to have given these youngsters the freedom to live, thrive, and howl in the night.

Click here to watch the two and a half minute video on Windows Media. Click here to play the video on Real Neworks.

Posted September 26, 2006
right where God wants me
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

Got one. I know I said I wasn't gonna, but God went and dropped one in my lap. :?
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

petsr4ever wrote:Got one. I know I said I wasn't gonna, but God went and dropped one in my lap. :?
My Dad has always said that people will generally do what they want no matter what. They get something stuck in their head and they are going to do it come hell or high water. I myself can't say that I havn't done this too. So with that said lets not blame God for a wild animal "falling into your lap". I'm sure it was very avoidable. Lets call it what it is. I wanted a pet coyote and...............all be damned I got one. :?
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

Well, yah :D
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

EO caller wrote:
petsr4ever wrote:Got one. I know I said I wasn't gonna, but God went and dropped one in my lap. :?
My Dad has always said that people will generally do what they want no matter what. They get something stuck in their head and they are going to do it come hell or high water. I myself can't say that I havn't done this too. So with that said lets not blame God for a wild animal "falling into your lap". I'm sure it was very avoidable. Lets call it what it is. I wanted a pet coyote and...............all be damned I got one. :?
How true.

Kinda like a little kid reaching to touch a hot stove. You can tell the kid "no, bad, thats hot, it will hurt you", but most of the time, they just gotta keep reaching 'till they get burned.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

And I would hope you have a valid ND non-traditional livestock license to have said coyote.

Who the hell am I kidding. Of course you dont. :roll:
Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

Post by Coyote Huntress »

Optimax90 wrote:... one way or another your going to do it, with or without any of our help. I have an amish buddy that has 13 kids :shock: and when he had 11, I asked him what the hell he was thinking... He said "you know those damn women, once they get somthing in there head thre aint NO changing their mind...."... :
part quote

Dear gentlemen,

Please do not classify all of us "women" in one category - though I fully agree with the quote "you know those damn women, once they get somthing in there head thre aint NO changing their mind...." I'm a little irritated by this thread also, and I am a woman and an animal lover. I tried my best to not demonize coyotes and keep my opinions in the middle without extremes, but first hand experience with them has made that very hard to do

Coyotes, in the last three years, KILLED and ATE three of my registered SE Arabian horses. Monetary loss in the five digits, emotional loss for me too. I also lost a fourth Arabian foal some years ago, again to coyotes. Never mind my cute little dogs, cats BUT the final straw was when a coyote trotted past my three year old at high noon last fall - only less than 200 feet away. Oh - I should mention that there are not many yearling mule deer left in our area - coyotes love them. I'm tracking them and checking their feces, too - deer hair obviously is apart of their cuisine.

I pleaded with the men around here to help me do something - hunters, but they have jobs too. So, I have it set in my mind to take care of the coyote problem myself, and now no one can tell me otherwise. 8) I can't tell you how frustrating it is to only be able to find a medium size in hunting pants and need a belt to try and keep them up. I've been out a few times - coyote hunting that is and tracking - and have now invested around $700.00 in clothes, electronic and hand calls, videos and a book. Tomorrow, I'm buying a trail camera - we are surrounded by woods, pasture and wildlife land. You bet - I am very determined to get as many coyotes as I can. Right now, I need my husband to accompany me until I get my liscenses - then I'll go out by myself.

Feeding coyotes? Oh, yes, I need to check with our conservation officers to ensure I can put bait out in my back forty. That way, I can "feed" them their just deserts. Coyote Problem is an understatement, and just on my quarter of land, there are four different locations I suspect dens. We are outside of town, and I'll just say this is becoming coyote headquarters - women are afraid to jog anymore ON the edge of town and a group of coyotes brought a deer down a short hop, skip and a jump from the school yard...

Going into town? There are so many of them, they have no fear of humans because no one is hunting them regularly. They go in because they can. Believe me - they are not "forced" to do so with all the abundant land here - and wildlife land.

I'm new here. I'm an animal lover who grew up in a family of hunters, but never hunted though did shoot guns at targets. I don't care to hunt anything else but coyotes. I'm a woman. I want to learn from the best.

Coyote Huntress
Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

Post by Coyote Huntress »

Oh - and I now have dogs for coyote control... They're doing such a good job, the coyotes are ticked and just last Sunday night came to my backyard bush - 40 feet from my house - to try and bait the dogs out to kill them. Three sets of coyote eyes in the dark...
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

welcome to the site Coyote Huntress!! Good luck in pursuing your problem coyotes! Don't forget to take pics and share the stories with us. Ask questions and search the archives for any tips or information that my help you. First hand experience will teach you more than any book or website will :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I'm gonna let it all hang out on this post and if it get's me kicked off of here, so be it!
You have proven your complete and total ignorance about this topic. You came here for advice and were so damn arrogant you didn't listen. You are endangering the lives of your family plus anyone that lives around you. What kills me is that you are doing it illegally!!!!! Even the people in this site that wished you nluck also expressed there concern. You are the most ignorant selfish irresponsible idiot I have ever heard of. I hope you don't wind up hurting someone. I really wished you lived close to me. That little bastard wouldn't survive 10 min. I could care less about it living in captivity. YOU ARE ENDANGERING PEOPLES LIVES YOU FREAKIN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"God hates a coward"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

welcome to the site coyote huntress. glad to have you. i like your stick-to-it-ness. hope you can eleiviate the problem.
i have NO problem with women hunters... wish there were more. :D

I'm with you 110% DustyC. .Pets4 is most likey gonna have to pay someones medical bills in the not to distant future. bet she's a democrat :wink:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Welcom Huntress a good for you taking the incitive (sp) to learn and get out there and try to stop the problem i commend you!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!