Pet Coyote

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Pet Coyote

Post by petsr4ever »

I am new to this Forum. I am not a hunter but I am interested in coyotes and would like to obtain one to raise for a pet. I would like to get a very young one, preferably with it's eyes still shut, as it is a wild animal and wild animals do better as pets the younger they are when you get them.

Question, does anyone have any advice on how to get one? I know you can get a permit to have one. And I know they are born in early April.

Has anybody known anybody else who has raised one? Does anybody know of any exotic animal breeders that may have some? Or if I were to get one from the wild, what would be the best way to do it?

I realize that this is kind of a weird request on a coyote hunting forum, but I figure you guys hunt them so you must know something about them. I will certainly appreciate any advice I could get. Thanks.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: Pet Coyote

Post by bucksnbears »

pure and simple... don't do it!!!!!!!!
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

bucksnbears wrote:pure and simple... don't do it!!!!!!!!
Second That bucs!!! Bad idea all around!!
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Critrgtr
coyotehunter

Post by Critrgtr »

"as it is a wild animal" Right on... Leave it that way.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

may I ask why?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

Why have a pet coyote? Because I like them. I love all animals. I live out in the country in North Dakota, and my husband and I have a bunch of pets. Many people raise wild animals for pets. Sometimes it's not a good idea, depending on the kind of animal it is. A coyote is just a small dog as far as I'm concerned. Some people have pet wolves, bobcats cougars, raccoons, skunks, ect. I have a good place to keep one and the time to put in to raising it right. There is a website called "The Daily Coyote", as well as a book by the same title written by a women out in Wyoming who raised a coyote from a pup. After reading the book, I decided I would like to have one.
This is the website; http://www.dailycoyote.net/
I am just trying to get some advice on how to aquire a coyote pup. I am not trying to criticize any of you for hunting them. If that's what you like then that's up to you. If I want to raise one for a pet then that's up to me.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

actually it isn't up to you! It's up to the ND Board of Animal Health. I will guarantee you that you have no chance to get a permit to have a wild coyote in ND. There are so many regulations that you'd better just forget about it. You can go ahead and contact board of animal health. Coyotes as many wild animals go crazy when they get older, very unstable and I wouldn't want one around because you'd better have some good insurance, it bites one person, they'll put it down and sew you for everything.

Why go through with all that crap. If you do catch a coyote pup, bring it home and raise it, the board of animal health will find out and probably fine you. They'll find out through word of mouth, it doesn't take long for a lot of people to know that you have a coyote as a pet.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

petsr4ever wrote: A coyote is just a small dog as far as I'm concerned. .
Bingo bango WRONGO!

A coyote is a wild animal, whether you get it with its eyes shut or not.

We used to raise ranch fox. Ive handled thousands of them. We're talking ranch varieties that were literally "domestic" for over 100 years, 10+ generations. Every once in a while, we'd have pups with health problems, these got a LOT of human contact and attention. Notably, we had a litter born with spina bifida (fluid build up in the spinal column). These pups, from before their eyes were open, were removed from the bitch, were handled twice daily, every day, to drain the fluid off. They were very "puppy" like.....until about four months of age. Than they got snotty, like fox do.

No matter how much contact pups got, at 4-6 months, they got snotty. They'd bite, I SURELY wouldnt have trusted them around kids. And these were ranch fox with generation upon generation in captivity with humans.

Ive handled plent of wild fox and coyote pups. And ill tell you what, a coyote is much more unstable and aggressive than a fox. You can take the coyote out of the wild, but you cant take the wild out of the coyote.

Youll be dissapointed, than you'll have an animal semi-dependant on you, and possibly have a law suit waiting to happen.
Last edited by barebackjack on Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

http://www.dailycoyote.net/

Can anybody say left wing liberal wack job??? :roll:

This whole thread reminds me of that guy that "lived" amongst the grizzlies in Alaska, made a movie about how we had been "welcomed" into the grizzly world.

Than they ate his ass! :lol:

If you want a "small dog".....than go buy a small dog and leave the coyotes in the wild where they belong.
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

The best part of that whole show was when he got killed one less hippie in the world
Jeck
coyotehunter

Post by Jeck »

Can anybody say left wing liberal wack job???

I wouldn't call her that... she was asking for advice. I wouldn't jump all over her for it. Leave that to the fishingbuddy.com folks. :lol:

You will get through to her alot better by giving her level headed advice without bashing...

With that said, I would suggest you seriously rethink a coyote as a pet. Bad Bad Idea. Wild animals are meant to be left wild.

Plus, if you ever let it out to run... it probably wouldn't be around too long. Somebody will probably shoot it.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I dont think BBJ was calling the poster a liberal wack job, I believe he was referring to the website!

And Damon, true that!!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Ya, I was referring to the "dailycoyote" lady.
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

We had a couple different ones when I was growing up. Male and female they were both the same only the male was stupider. They get to a certian age and they turn into what they are,,,coyotes. Sneaky cat and chicken killing, biting disloyal shit heads. But hey, sometimes all the advice in the world won't work and you have to find out for yourself, so have at it.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

OK, well I see the general consenus here is that I shouldn't try and raise a coyote for a pet. I do know that you can get a permit to have a pet coyote in North Dakota. The only two animals, I believe, that you can't get a permit to keep are a skunk and a raccoon.

Foxes, I know, are a bit harder to domesticate. I know a couple of people who have raised them. Raccoons are Okay as long as you have them fixed and keep them in an enclosure outside. Otherwise, no matter how tame they are, they will wreck your house. Skunks make very good pets as long as you have them descented and fixed. Neither of these animals are legal to keep in North Dakota, though. Probably because there is no rabies vaccine available for them.

Our veterinarian said that he has known of several people who have raised coyote's from pups. He said to get them very young and give them alot of attention while they are growing up. And then have the coyote fixed. He said that they can make very good pets as long as you do the above. And as far as the safety issue goes, there are many dogs that are much more dangerous than coyotes. I wouldn't raise one and let it run loose, either. We don't let our dogs run loose. They have a big fenced in area to run in.

I still plan on getting a coyote. Sorry I intruded on your website to ask advice. I guess I should have known better. I could have criticized you guys and called you names for hunting them. I won't do that because you have just as much a right to do that as I do to have one for a pet.
Sorry I bothered you.