Pet Coyote

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

coyotebuster
coyotehunter

Re: Pet Coyote

Post by coyotebuster »

poor bastard, quit a change going from having miles to roam to a small kennel.
M.O.A.
coyotehunter

Post by M.O.A. »

hey i say go for it there are places that sell 3/4 wolf sheperd mix dogs why not a yote i live by people that have pet deer and they hand feed them
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

I guess I could get one and then tell people it's a dog. There would be no way to prove it isn't a dog. Same genetics. For those of you who think it might be cruel to keep one in captivity, tell that same thing to the people who run Zoos. If it were brought up from a few days old, it wouldn't know the difference between running wild and being domesticated. How do you think domestic dogs got started?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have heard from several people that Red Fox make great pets.
Coyotes Forever
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

how did dogs start? It took several thousand years and several thousand generations to get a dog to what he is now. That's an underestimation to. hell even with all those generations behind a domestic dog they still seem to be a little unpredictable. So what makes you think that you can just domesticate a wild animal without any problem.

I'd think that fox would be a little squirrely. They sure seem that way anyhow.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

kind of like a 4 yr old on speed is what i have heard but pretty easy to have around. I have met a few guys that had them in the house like a cat.
Coyotes Forever
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

pets - I hope there was some sarcasm in your post... Do you really think people won't realize it is a coyote?!?! It is cruel to keep them in captivity. I think they have a better chance of being "sane" (to a certain extent) in captivity, such as a zoo, if they were raised from a pup in captivity. However, did you not read that blog about the lady in WY with the coyote?? I sure thought you did. Even though she raised it from a pup, her coyote still has difficulty accepting strangers and it stresses him out when there are strange people around their place. He is good with her and her guy friend and that is it for people. What makes you think your situation would be so different or special?? Oh and as far as "it wouldn't know the difference between running wild and being domesticated" have you ever heard of NATURAL INSTINCT? Yes, while domestic dogs did start out wild...like xdeano said..."It took several thousand years and several thousand generations to get a dog to what he is now." Try to be realistic about this. It will take a lot of work to have a pet coyote, and from this last post of yours I'd have to say more work than you realize. Shreve had to do a lot of things to keep her coyote safe as well as other people and herself safe, remember that. She also had to give up a lot of things by taking on this coyote and raising him and literally dedicate herself to him and his safety.
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

Yeah, I was being a little sarcastic. But at the same time being real. Under a microcsope, the genetics would be the same as a dog. I guess that's what I was getting at.
Yes, I realize that a coyote would not behave in exactly the same way a dog would. But I also think that keeping one that was raised up in captivity wouldn't be cruel either. Especially if it were spayed or neutered. Let's face it, a lot of wild animals get raised in captivity. It's not always a bad thing. It depends a whole lot on how it's done and who does it. I also realize that there are some wild animals that people should never try and raise. Especially large ones that could present a real danger to themselves or others. And as far as being cruel to a coyote; let's face it, this is a "Coyote HUNTING forum". Now I am not going to preach about how you guys shouldn't hunt because hunting could be considered a form of cruelty to some folks. Especially since the animal being hunted hasn't much of a chance against high-powered guns, and some of them must suffer in the process of being hunted and killed. It sure seems to me kind of hypocritical to see some of you coyote hunters talking to someone like me about being cruel to them by wanting to keep one as a pet when you guys are shooting and killing them (and sometimes wounding them so they are left to suffer before they die.) Which is worse? You or me? All I asked for in the beginning of this post was some advice on how to obtain a coyote. I didn't come here to get criticized about wanting one. But I guess if you want to criticize me, then I can do the same to you.
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

Just for general information; there is an extremely good article in the March 2011 issue of National Geographic Magazine called; "Designing the Perfect Pet; Can a Fox become Man's Best Friend?" It's all about some some biologists in Russia experimenting on the domestication of silver foxes starting in 1959 up to the present time. Through socialization with humans and selective breeding, they have been able to develop a line of silver foxes that are completely domesticated as house pets and are exactly like dogs. None have been interbred with any kind of dog. The article goes on to give a short history of the domestication of most domesticated animals that are known today. This article shows that it doesn't necessarily take thousands of years to breed the wildness out of some wild animals. A good read.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Except silver fox have been bred in captivity under close human contact a hell of a lot longer than 62 years. :wink:

Nice try though.
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

I've had a couple coyote pups for awhile but at a certain time and place they will show the wild side and the liability of having one here where I live out weighs the gain of having one. I have a hard enough time with neighbors dogs coming into my yard when I have my decoy dogs out of their kennels.

They are a wild animal and meant to be out in the wild with wild instincts that lead to their survival. In my experiences you can not get them to become submissive or listen to many commands if they don't want to. You can see the wild personality in them at a young age. I had the biggest pup out of a litter, a male, and he was super agressive at feeding time, had him til he was 3-4 months old then it got to be to much. Then tried a small female out of a litter another year with similar results but less agression but still that wild side shows thru.

The ones I know of that are at least somewhat tame are usually females and are being kept on acreages usually on a chain most of the time. They require a lot of time and constant contact to retain a relationship etc. You do see some interesting behavior and reactions especially when you make certain sounds around them. We have done some what some may call sound experiments to see what triggers what on ocassion, even a FP WT sound comparison as to which would trigger a vocal responce more often.

IMO it's a wild animal being held captive, it just doesn't seem right to me, but that's just my opinion. I think if you have one around children or in a city or urban area it's an accident waiting to happen. One slip up and it could be a nightmare.
Randy Roede
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

My experiences are similar to yours Randy. I have had two with the female being the easiest to handle. I had both for about 3 months and that was about it for me. feeding time was always an issue........I bottle fed the female and got her before her eyes were open. she would bite me when she was hungry........natural thing for a coyote pup to do. As she got older the biteing got a little annoying to say the least. Now the kids could play with her with no problems because they were not ever feeding her. Though as she got older I was concerned about her biting one of the kids and they handled her less and less. My daughter was very young at the time and if she had been older I would have not been so concerned. The male actually was just a pain in the ass.....long story. You will have your work cut out for you. I am just hitting the highlights here. I personally would give the fox a try first before jumping in with the coyote. I have a friend that has a female and has had her for years and she is very well behaved. Keeps her on a chain. I have no warm fuzzy for coyotes. I am not so concerned about the "born free" aspect of this thread. I kill everyone of them I can so if you want to put it in a kennel and feed and water it...........well that is your business. I have done it myself. Any info you can share about the experience I would love to hear it.
Coyotes Forever
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

I with ya jamie, I have no warm and fuzzy toward coyotes, a lot of respect, but no warm or fuzzy.

Any method I can learn or use to kill em faster and more efficent in my area I'm all for it!!
Randy Roede
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

Well, apparently, for some reasons or another some of you have tried raising coyotes too. What made you try it, may I ask?
There are lots of other people who have raised other wild animals. Why do people try this? I, personally, have a deep interest in animals in general. I am a nurse by profession, but probably should have been a biologist. I am now retired and have lots of time on my hands to do some research of my own. Maybe you could call it a hobby. Anyway, I live way out in the country so I have the perfect place to do it. My husband shares my interest and love of animals. This is just something we like to do, I don't have any other way of expaining it. Sorry that some of you think this would be cruel. I don't see it that way. I would never ever purposely do anything cruel to any animal. I just like to experience them up close and personal. So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :wink:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Yep, I have a list a mile long of the animals we had as a kid, and the many I have taken in over the years as a adult. My dad always had stuff at the house. Pigeons, rabbits, goats, raccoon, bees, cats, dogs of all kinds, horses, cows, sheep, fish, frogs.............coyote, fox, weasel, mice, lizards, snakes, ............I probably forgot one or two. I never asked anyone there opinion on it or bothered to consider the animals "feelings". I just liked watching them and being around them. I have seen raccoons that made great pets as long as you have a place to keep them. My aunt had one that came and went through the dog door with the dogs. friendly and loved to get picked up and patted on the back. would stand you front of you with his paws up in the air like a baby who wanted to be picked up. My mom when she was younger had a pet raccoon for years, lots of great stories about that one. petsr4ever, I think were you get cross ways with most people that have commented on this thread is your insistance on comparing a coyote to a dog......4 legs, 2 eyes, a tail, sharp teeth..........yes lots of simularities but.........well they ain't no dog and do very few things like a dog would. I know they are closer to a dog genetically then say a cow but a cow would be easier to train then a coyote. :D really depends a lot on the coyote you get and expectations. I know some guys that have had some docile coyotes. they just seem to turn on a dime and flip a switch and become a little umpredictable. Nervous little buggers.
Coyotes Forever