mid west coyotes and hedge rows....

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Pure Predator
coyotehunter

mid west coyotes and hedge rows....

Post by Pure Predator »

Once again tonite insted of the run in, I had a yote sneak up the hedge row right into my stand... About the time I realized I had a coyote that close I started to go for the rifle and she pegged me. She got out to about 150 yards, I howled, she droped... 22-250 spinal tap, just as the doctor ordered

Fur still seemed O.K, Here in north central Illinois, when should I give up on them because the fur is completely gone out....

Mike
"Yote Zappa"
a small pasture, a fine wood hand call, and a slight wind in my face....... Priceless...
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Nice work Mike the fur is going to be hit and miss by the end of march it will all be shot
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Good point brad we should all start watching for this closely so that we leave a little seed for next year.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Pure Predator
coyotehunter

Thanks Brad...

Post by Pure Predator »

I thought you would have the answer Brad...

On the Hedge Row problem, is this the nature of the beast in the more farm landscape, Or is this a product of Late season Spooks......

Yote Zappa
a small pasture, a fine wood hand call, and a slight wind in my face....... Priceless...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I know a lot of guys who farm there coyotes and other furbearers stop around mid January. It varies depending on your altitude and terrain. I once had a friend tell me that there where no dumb coyotes left after the first of the year.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Yote Zappa i would say that a big factor is that your not inside their comfort zone. In the farming areas there is a lot more roads and they are spaced closer. The coyotes know where every road is and they aren't going to be real bold coming to call across the wide open on the run into an area that they are spooky of. The time of year could also be a factor though.

Jamie is right i know of guys that watch the fur extremely close and a lot of them quit calling and trapping by the first of Feb or even the 15th of Jan. When it comes to leaving for seed and "farming" you local population i would recommend reading up on some of the heavy hit ADC areas and what the populations do from year to year
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!