Running Coyotes with dogs

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Running Coyotes with dogs

Post by lyonch »

I know somwhere in one of the forums we were discussing running dogs with coyotes. I can't seem to find it so i thought i would just repost it. i talked to my boss to answer a few of the questions myself and others had and this is how it went.

My first question was what do they do with the live coyotes they catch? He told me that the guy who owns the dogs keeps a few for himself for training his pups and the others they send the to a place in northern minnesota where they use them for trainging also.

The second question i asked was what kind of doggs do they use and he said they use black and tan hounds. they use to use gre hounds because of there long leggs and the ability to runt hrough deep snow. They don't use them anymore because the cost of up keep on a greyhound was too expensive.

The third question was what do they do with all there coyotes and they sell there hides on the carcass. He said that the place they take them to prefer to do there own skining and fleshing.

He also went on to tell me that the same guy has hounds that specifically run bobcats. how well it works i couldn't tell you i was a little disgusted about the whole thing and didn't care to ask anymore.

I asked when they do they stop hunting and he said around the end of march. He said they are just trying to get rid of them. I would understand this if there is a problem in the area or possible mange starting but why waste a pelt that could possibly bring top dollar next fall. they also use two way radios wich i guess is legal in minnesota if you have the proper papers and documentation. they use military issued two way radios since he is in the military. I'm not too fond of all that but what can i a guy do if it is legal. If you have any other questions about it you can post it and i will ask him to see what they do.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!