decoying coyote with dogs

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

shooter93
coyotehunter

decoying coyote with dogs

Post by shooter93 »

I was watching a Dvd from elkinc.com i bought the other day, they were using dogs while they were calling coyotes, it looks like a hoot, because the dogs will chase the coyote then they will come back and the coyote will be in tow, i was looking on info on training a dog for this

When you feel the hair on your neck stand up all eyes are probably watching
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

It does take the right dog to get this to work as shown of the video. I no Merv Griswold and he has put a few seminars on over the years at my tournaments. He has spent decades working with dogs, training them for decoying. It is mainly done from April thru Sept. with May, June, and July being the most prductive. Not much use for Dogs during the furs months. (Long explanation why) Craig O'Gorman has a video with Vern Dorn that was thot in the 80's that is probably the best I have seen on denning with dogs. Cal Taylor has a real good video as well, "Going to the Dogs" which he uses I believe to be Dorn dogs.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

all top notch videos. Decoying is a great tool during the right time of the year.

Cal uses a dorn dog and a White Mtn Cur in the video.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Decoy dogs is for ADC work mostly and should'nt be used by recreational callers.
By useing dogs dureing the winter months just messes up youre stands, most of the time the dogs will end up running the coyotes off..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

yep, I would leave them at home if hunting for fur.