Homemade Decoy

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Homemade Decoy

Post by Skinny Indian »

Hello all! New to coyote hunting and looking at doing a decoy. On the super cheap. Got the idea of a feather on a string, a weasel ball tied to a tree. I also bought some dog toys and let the chihuahua have them so they are animal smelling. One is a red fox (stuffing free) and a raccoon. I've got urine for both animals. Plan to use some fishing line to move them if need be. A couple of other toys picked up too, all being de-scented by real animals :D Any other notions on cheap and easy to make decoys?
Keep your powder dry.
Tbush
coyotehunter

Re: Homemade Decoy

Post by Tbush »

Let us all know how they work for you and what you used :D
a proud member of the "IF" team
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

Tbush wrote:Let us all know how they work for you and what you used :D
Well, I am a pretty lousy hunter, so if I manage to get anything I'll be sure to pass the word around, because it's obvious that it works! So far in the past two years I've gotten a mouse that was inside, two possum from a trap, and a dog off my back porch (I live in the country) which may have been rabid and was likely one of the chicken killers. Oh and I accidentally killed a guinea fowl, but that's a story for another time :roll: Anyways, being as that I am a lousy hunter, if one of these works it surely will be on here. I am having some trouble finding a weasel ball locally. I also can't find a good motor for any tail movement and what not at local stores, so I guess I will be playing puppeteer. Normally I wouldn't share secrets and techniques but since it's coyotes, I don't mind.
Keep your powder dry.
2putt
coyotehunter

Post by 2putt »

You could also try just a pair of white hankies tied together then tied around a longer string that hangs almost to the ground from a tree or a metal wire from the ground that gives the hankie room to blow in the wind a little. I have yet to try this out but if any of you beat me to it let me know how it works.
newby!!
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

2putt wrote:You could also try just a pair of white hankies tied together then tied around a longer string that hangs almost to the ground from a tree or a metal wire from the ground that gives the hankie room to blow in the wind a little. I have yet to try this out but if any of you beat me to it let me know how it works.
Thanks! and will do! While on the subject of decoys, how good are a coyotes eyes? I know they are supposedly color blind, but what about distinguishing detail?
Keep your powder dry.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

lyonch wrote:Check this link/topic out.

http://www.coyotehunter.net/forums/view ... f=12&t=625
Hmm, seems as if one should blend in pretty well. I was wondering if I needed to break up my outline more, ghillies are popular here on the east coast I'm told, or if they will be able to spot shoddy workmanship on a decoy or if "animal like" is good enough.
Keep your powder dry.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

When a coyote is moving is when you move yourself. When a coyote is standing still is when he can really focus in on whats going on. A decoy doesn't have the same profile as a human outline or something they relate to danger, unless they have been burned by a decoy before. I think you are going to see some mixed results with the decoy.
Last edited by lyonch on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Lyon

NickNielsen

Post by NickNielsen »

Coyotes have unbelievable eyes. Google coyote eyesight and you'll find pictures of what you see vs. what a coyotes sees. Shades of grey but great at picking up changes in them and movement period. Like lyonch said don't ever move unless a coyote is moving. I try to minimize movement on stand all the time. Most of the time I don't move until they get within 60-70 yrds if possible then get on them quick, usually they'll stop and give you a second to shoot em. Good luck!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I do things a little different than nick does about getting on them quick. I try to treat the coyote like a turkey (when im turkey hunting) and try to get on them as soon as you see them, but while they are moving. I then watch them the whole way in and point the barrel at them the whole time. Then i bark to stop them for a bang (hope for a flop :lol: )!! If i were to shoot one with a shotgun i would wait until they are as close as they are willing to come before i move. Both ways will work!! There are many ways to handle a coyote when coming in to a call. There is no one method or specific directions that you are suppose to follow on handling coyotes when they are coming to a call. When do you shoot, when do you wait, when do you move, when don't you move, etc. etc. all comes with field experience and that situation at hand. Hell sometimes you need to get off your butt and sprint to a damn hill to cut him/her off before they get around a given spot to wind you or get away. Take Tac's post for example that he just made :wink:
Chris Lyon

NickNielsen

Post by NickNielsen »

Good points Chris. Every situation determines actions for me. Wether the coyote is leary, on a tear, ecaller is set up away from you, partner is calling away from you, hills in the coyotes path downwind. All depends on the situation but definitely be sneaky :D and minimize movement on stand, you'll have more dogs come in closer, or should I say less dogs hang up at 700 :lol:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Then to top it all off, are you hunting a tournament and need to make that shot or are you hunting for fur and have time to really work that specific dog that day :shock: Decisions, decisions, they are never ending when hunting these song dogs :D
Chris Lyon

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

skinny, i don't know how many coyotes you have shot but if your new to this, i would skip the decoy and just learn the basics
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

bucksnbears wrote:skinny, i don't know how many coyotes you have shot but if your new to this, i would skip the decoy and just learn the basics
Good point Bucs!!!
Chris Lyon

Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

bucksnbears wrote:skinny, i don't know how many coyotes you have shot but if your new to this, i would skip the decoy and just learn the basics
Well, to show you how new I am, I thought a decoy was pretty basic. I've been working on calling, as well as have a caller setup. I like to think I've gotten the calling down, of course only getting out there will tell.
Keep your powder dry.