Homemade Decoy

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: Homemade Decoy

Post by LeviM »

Skinny, bucs had some sound advice. Go out and give it a whirl, only some feild experience will tell if a decoy works for you or not.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

LeviM wrote:Skinny, bucs had some sound advice. Go out and give it a whirl, only some feild experience will tell if a decoy works for you or not.
Yeah, now I just have to figure out what you guys mean by the basics....
Keep your powder dry.
2putt
coyotehunter

Post by 2putt »

I just bought a 20$ quiver critter. (rabbit) it is cheaper than a mojo critter. Havnt tried it yet hope it works.
newby!!
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

As it's been said on this site before my skinny little native buddy, grab a call a gun and sit down and blow!!!!!! :D Thats the basics. :)
"God hates a coward"
2putt
coyotehunter

Post by 2putt »

I would say any decoy would work. The most important thing is to have somthing distract the coyote from looking at you.
newby!!
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

DustyC wrote:As it's been said on this site before my skinny little native buddy, grab a call a gun and sit down and blow!!!!!! :D Thats the basics. :)
Thanks :D Somehow I'm still getting something wrong though. I gave up on most of the mouth calls and got an electric. I just need more practice on the manual ones I think, I just am not getting them to sound right. I went from an open reed (what was I thinking?) and a closed reed from Johnny Stewart to a pair of closed from Knight and Hale (it had a video! yay!) I've got the prey ones down OK it seems, but the coyote howls needs work for sure. The electric is too damned easy though, and I can use it for crow too! Hell if I wasn't so scared of the game warden I could use it for a lot of game :lol: Anyways, I've revamped a few things and will be giving it another go soon.
Keep your powder dry.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Skinny my friend, go to the online store here and by some good calls. Get a crtr call song dog and the standard or pee wee. Easy to blow and really work. Keep tryin' don't give up on the hand calls.
"God hates a coward"
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

DustyC wrote:Skinny my friend, go to the online store here and by some good calls. Get a crtr call song dog and the standard or pee wee. Easy to blow and really work. Keep tryin' don't give up on the hand calls.
Ah crap! Did I but crappy calls? I liked the idea of hand calls better too. I've blown my calls budget this month though. I got an electronic one that wasn't an arm and a leg and sounds way better than anything I've been able to produce. I don't wanna fumble around too much in the woods, but at the same time I don't want to scare away the coyotes, which I suspect I've been doing...
Keep your powder dry.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Skinny Indian wrote:
DustyC wrote:Skinny my friend, go to the online store here and by some good calls. Get a crtr call song dog and the standard or pee wee. Easy to blow and really work. Keep tryin' don't give up on the hand calls.
Ah crap! Did I but crappy calls? I liked the idea of hand calls better too. I've blown my calls budget this month though. I got an electronic one that wasn't an arm and a leg and sounds way better than anything I've been able to produce. I don't wanna fumble around too much in the woods, but at the same time I don't want to scare away the coyotes, which I suspect I've been doing...

:lol: I doubt your distress sound would scare every coyote away. Skinny PM me your contact information, and i will see what i have laying around that i could send you :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

lyonch wrote:
Skinny Indian wrote:

:lol: I doubt your distress sound would scare every coyote away. Skinny PM me your contact information, and i will see what i have laying around that i could send you :wink:
I like to think my rabbit distress was actually right... of course maybe not. I think where I scared them was trying to work my howler locater call. It sounded more like something you'd hear at a New Years party than from any animal... :?
Keep your powder dry.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I don't know if they are crap or not. All I know is that alot of people have trouble learning on thos calls. Alot of them have a wider tone board and reed that in my opinion make them harder to blow. All I can do is give my opinion. I really like the Critr' Call and the Sceery howler (without the blow horn on the front). All of these are great calls that are easy to learn and I know I can kill coyotes with them. Good Luck. :D

PS: I learned on this site from alot of good guys to not believe everything you see in the movies. Just because they make a movie doesn't mean they give the best advice or make the best equipment!!! :D
"God hates a coward"
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

DustyC wrote:I don't know if they are crap or not. All I know is that alot of people have trouble learning on thos calls. Alot of them have a wider tone board and reed that in my opinion make them harder to blow. All I can do is give my opinion. I really like the Critr' Call and the Sceery howler (without the blow horn on the front). All of these are great calls that are easy to learn and I know I can kill coyotes with them. Good Luck. :D

PS: I learned on this site from alot of good guys to not believe everything you see in the movies. Just because they make a movie doesn't mean they give the best advice or make the best equipment!!! :D
I see. I had thought Knight and Hale made better stuff than that too! Grrr! They've been around a while. Thankfully the season never closes here, so I'll use my electronic caller until I get good at or get a good manual call. The electronic seems fairly accurate and easy overall, but I can already see the drawbacks to it. My excursions so far have only been on the property I live on, but I am considering going to public lands and maybe asking at a couple of neighbors. One has lost a cat to them (as have I I believe) and have spotted a large pack near them. They have woods with thick shrubs and open fields on two sides of them, as well as a depression with water. From what I've been told about coyotes this seems like as decent an area as any. I wish I could hunt them at night.
Keep your powder dry.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

skinny. if you have only been hunting 1 property,most likely the local coyotes have caught onto you.thats one of the main mistake that people new to the sport make.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

bucksnbears wrote:skinny. if you have only been hunting 1 property,most likely the local coyotes have caught onto you.thats one of the main mistake that people new to the sport make.
Ah, so they're not quite like deer where they come back anyways? Unfortunately I've just got a few spots I can hunt from though.
Keep your powder dry.