mouth or electronic calls

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

shooter93
coyotehunter

mouth or electronic calls

Post by shooter93 »

to me electronic isnt true calling, you can use a electronic to locate but not call in, i beleive in you calling them in yourself. It was you not a battery, i have been more productive to use my mouth, i see this in goose calling also i get alot of hookers because i learned to use my mouth calls, some people can never be good at it, i tye my own flys and i get happy because i did it myself and caught fish when others dont , i believe we get better at something because we try and try, that is true calling, we are here to learn from others mishaps and fortunes, i love the coyote hunt and love the aspect of meeting true coyote hunters
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I agree with you that it is very gratifying to call in a coyote with a mouth call. In fact I think it's the best feeling in hunting.

However, I think that electronic calls have their place. I do not have an electronic call, due to funds, but I plan on eventually getting one. I think you can use them to your advantage in positioning the coyote for a shot and reproducing sounds that you may not be able to make if hunting by yourself (coyote seranade, crow, mapgie, etc.)
littlebigenuf
coyotehunter

electronic calling

Post by littlebigenuf »

I am sure it is gratifying to call a coyote in with a mouth call but you wouldn't believe how I trembled calling my first coyote in with an electronic call. Keyword and the point of the situation is that I "CALLED" it in. Regardless of what I use it is still calling. You have your goals and I have mine but it just don't seem right to say people who use electronic calls aren't "TRUE" calling.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I perfer to use mouth calls over electronic calls but I would use both in the field. To me the name of the game is calling in coyotes and both calls can do that. One type of call might be better in some situations than the other, so be it. As long as I am calling in coyotes I am happy :lol:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
shooter93
coyotehunter

Post by shooter93 »

yes i believe using the electronic call for crows and magpies adds to the excitment, but the call in is done by the caller, it is very hard for some people to use mouth calls, but once you mastered the basics it is easy to use other games calls, if it is a goose calls, duck calls, or coyote call. i would practice in the truck going to work and i still do
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Yup I do like you and practice in the car. I am sure that will lead to my eventual deafness, but oh well. When I blow the calls in the house the wife gets mad and my 3 year old gets all excited so my car is my best option.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

they both have their place if you want to limit yourself to using only one of them go ahead but some people use them for specific situations and love them and i wouldn't take any credit away from them. I use one but on a pretty limited basis. I also prefer the hand calls
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I think it depends on what your trying to call in. I know coyotes are what we are all after most of the time but for Bobcat or fox I think it is hard to beat a electronic call. I have called in both with mouth calls but with cats it get tiring and fox it is nice to get a little volume with the bird sounds. Also grey fox respond very well with fox pups sounds and the recorded red fox and grey fox pup sounds are hard to beat. With coyotes I have not carried a electronic for years but I do feel that at times when it is really windy that 5 pound johnny stewart with the booster is helpful. I just don't like lugging it around. The new Foxpro's I light enough I just have not wanted to spend the coin to pick one up.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I think the weight issue is a problem for a lot of people. I know I like to carry 2 guns and when there is snow up to my nuts its hard to want to carry any extra weight.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
shooter93
coyotehunter

Post by shooter93 »

on bobcats that would be a good idea, instead of blowing for 45 min, i just think the electronic call is used by anyone and the coyotes are educated beyond return get alot of people that move alot and shot at them at 5000 yards, and they can tell you who made the call, M.R. Bob is a whole different story they are simple we can call them in to the same sound over and over
shooter93
coyotehunter

Post by shooter93 »

the weight isnt a issue, unless you carrying 80 pounds of decoys to a goose blind lol, but i do believe that the electronic caller isnt calling a coyote the call is, and once you learn how to call with the mouth, you just increased your kill by 10 fold, because it isnt a tinny sound it is more natural sound and you can use alot of squeles with your mouth you cant control on the electronic, i use the cottontail alot because it is better for the cats and the dogs get excited more, i do use alot of howls in flat country, but in bobcat country i use just rabbit and i bought a hawk call so ill try that with the rabbit