Problem Coyotes!!!

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Problem Coyotes!!!

Post by lyonch »

I was asked this past weekend over Easter to come out and take care of some coyotes that my uncle is haveing problems with. The guy shows his cattle for competition so when he looses a calf to a predator he is loosing a lot of money. He has a good idea of where they are hanging out at. I was thinking that the coyotes should be having there pupps pretty soon and thought that maybe i should wait until they have them then go after them with some puppy whines, or should i pursue them right away with some howls? I would like to take full oppurtunity to take as many as possible in one stand so i was definetly going to have a partner with me in case several come in. Any input on how to pursue them would be great and what type of howls should be used.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Lyonch you could certainly try to tackle the job right now and they should come readily to any kind of howls if you can get in the area that they plan on denning in.

Steve Allen told me that the average Coyote Birthday in ND is April 12th so the pups should be hitting the ground anyday.

Keep in mind that when the pups are new that it could be real tough to locate the coyotes they tend to keep pretty tight lipped until the pups are older. Also for the first week sometimes longer the female stays with the pups in the den the majority of the time so it will be tough to get her killed in that time frame. If you do get the dog killed and the bitch is by herself with the pups you could see a big increase in livestock problems because she really has to kill the easiest and most readily availble prey but calves by herself is going to be tough. If he is having problems with the coyotes now it is most likely going to become worse as soon as those pups hit the ground.

Hope this helps and keep us posted on how you do and remember to keep track of the approximate age and sex of the coyotes that you kill. If possible take a look at the philopian (sp) tubes and count the scars.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I was thinking abour trying this weekend we are suppose to get some fresh snow the next couple of days, 2-6 inches is what they are saying. So i will try this weekend and see what i come up with. He said they howl about 5 out of 7 days a week in the same spot every time they howl. I will try to take as much info as i can from the coyotes and post it for ya.
Chris Lyon

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Get in close where he has been hearing the coyotes, sun to your back and wind in your face. Pup whines work good this time of year, Coyotes can't count so if they can hear you and you are close enough you may get them in for a peak. They will come and investigate thinking they got a pup out there in need of some help.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Well i gave it an attempt on both Saturday and Sunday. Both times when i was walking out to the area i had to cross his pasture and sure enough i was chased out of there by the cows that had calfs. He told me that if they come running that they weren't going to stop. So both days i didn't even get a chance to set up to make a stand the wind was wrong to come from the other direction. I told him that i might have ot come out there real early in the morning to get set p so they don't know that i am in the area.
Chris Lyon

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Keep after it
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Yeah you may not want to call around the cows. Have you located the Den? Have you located where the coyotes are during the day time?
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

These coyotes are hanging out in the neighboring woods. The people who own the woods don't want anybody out there at all. My uncle thinks that the cattle should mellow out once they are done calfing and he moves them to another pasture. Once he moves them im sure the coyotes are going to have to find other means of food so will try it then.
Chris Lyon