Trail Camera Search

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

oldrookie
coyotehunter

Trail Camera Search

Post by oldrookie »

I'm looking for an affordable trail cam. I won't be setting it up on a bait station so I need one with a fast "trigger speed". I can't afford the Reconyx's. The Tasco 5.0 trail cam states it has a 1 second trigger speed. Anyone have any luck with them? I know they're owned by Bushnell now. The Bushnell Trophy cam has a pretty quick trigger speed also (1.3 sec) and it gives another 10 feet in range on its infrared night shots. Any help is appreciated. I rather spend a little more than buy a complete piece of crap, but all the reviews I've read are mixed on a nything but the Reconyx Hyperfire series ($450-$550). I'm looking for something more in the up to $200 range. Thanks.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Re: Trail Camera Search

Post by barebackjack »

Ive got two Bushnell trophy cams and am going to be getting more.

Small size (easy to hide), AWESOME battery life on just AA batteries, great trigger speed, very acceptable photo quality, user friendly, and reliable.

Ive owned cuddebacks, moultries, stealth cam, and a few others, the bushnells are my favorites.
oldrookie
coyotehunter

Post by oldrookie »

Thanks for responding. I think I'm gonna go with the Bushnell. I've talked with a few guys now and everyone seemed happy with it. Wish I could afford the Reconyx though (1/10th second trigger speed)
mcso407
coyotehunter

Post by mcso407 »

If I were you I would buy cuddeback. I bought many different kinds of cameras this winter and tested them in up to -30 weather. The cuddeback by far takes the best photos, if you would like to see some samples send me an email to gilbar_40@hotmail.com and I will send you some actual pictures that I got. Cuddeback Capture flash cameras are very good cameras.
oldrookie
coyotehunter

Post by oldrookie »

Yeah, I looked at the Cuddeback's today. The guy at Cabela's was really pushy about the Bushnell's, which actually turned me off a little. It seems like any mid priced camera is hit or miss.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Cuddeback was THE camera to have........six years ago. Ive owned several, but they peaked early. They just haven't kept up with the rest for what they cost. The Bushnell Trophy Cams are every bit the camera a Cuddeback is in a smaller package with as good a battery life and trigger speed. Cuddeback now is mostly just riding on the name it made for itself in the infant days of IR cameras. Lots of other brands that have caught up to them now.
singleshot1
coyotehunter

Post by singleshot1 »

I have used the Scoutgaurd cameras for the past few years, they are in the $200 - $250 range, excellent pictures clarity wise and a good trigger speed on them. I posted some coyote pictures from one of them a while back in the photo post that gives an example of the clarity....
" Do you squeal too...? "