Introducing myself: Marcus

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

cybrmarc
coyotehunter

Introducing myself: Marcus

Post by cybrmarc »

Hello everyone,
My name is Marcus and I'm just getting myself established in the woods of New Hampshire on the border of Vermont. Spent the last 5 years or so learning woods skills, mostly at an outdoor school in Wisconsin that taught a lot of Native American philosophy and crafts.
Making my living these days as a traditional hidetanner - I use brains or eggs to tan mostly deer hides the way its been done for hundreds of thousands of years. It's definitely more muscle intensive than the modern methods, but its something that keeps me outside and constantly learning about what I'm doing, plus I eat a lot of wild meat and forage so I get to use things like bones and nutshells and so on in my crafts. If anyone is interested more in this I have a website: http://www.wildabandnskinworks.com.
My experiences with coyotes are mainly in tracking them in my time in the woods. I'm inspired by their ability to adapt to pretty much any environment, and to modulate their breeding techniques to hunting pressures so...pretty much no matter what they survive. I've tanned one of their skins before and wear it as a winter cap (very warm). I'd like to do some hunting/trapping of coyotes coming up this year, and have a friend or two that is willing to team up with me. I'm curious as to what type of gun would be best to hunt them with. I have a wooden longbow made by a friend, and I've been told shotguns with slugs are very versatile (though I'm afraid I'd blow the thing to bits, which I don't want to do for specific reasons...), .240, ect. ect. Any input on weapon selection would be helpful; I live in wooded land with lots of national forest, so legally my options are open.
Also...I'll just throw it out there: I eat coyote. Long ago I discovered the wonders of wild meats and getting to know the flavors and bodies of different animals. I have only trapped and hunted a few different species, but I've eaten nearly every animal the northwoods has to offer. I've told taxidermists around me that I'd be glad to put coyotes to use, and have since come up with a delicious coyote burger recipe using ground meat, bear fat and garlic. If any of you are in my neck of the woods, and would be happy to see your coyote carcasses going to some use, drop me a line.
Thanks for having me, and for whatever you have to offer in my time here.
Marcus
cybrmarc21 at hotmail dot com
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Introducing myself: Marcus

Post by Coyotehunter »

I will pass on the coyote burger.
Coyotes Forever
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Hi Marcus. you actually eat coyotes?? got more balls than me!!. sounds like a shotgun would be a good choice where you're at.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

I think id have to be on my last leg before I ate a stringy old coyote.

Now beaver makes a fine meal (both of them :wink: )! :lol:
diem24

Post by diem24 »

Thank you! I gotta say, Ive re-read this 5 times this morning and I continue to giggle each time. Been trying to get my cousin to eat yoty forever but he wont give in. This may help get him thinking about trying a nice tender yoty backstrap, lmfao.
singleshot1
coyotehunter

Post by singleshot1 »

i'm sticking with BBJ, Beaver makes a damn fine meal!! :lol: :lol:

I have to ask though, what possessed you to ever try eating a coyote??? Couldn't you at least find a squirrel or rabbit to chew on????
" Do you squeal too...? "
diem24

Post by diem24 »

While you were out "foraging" did you by any chance eat some funny looking mushrooms?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

might be a drive by........sign up, post your web site and move on to the next site.........any bets!!
Coyotes Forever
singleshot1
coyotehunter

Post by singleshot1 »

none the less, i believe he just one uped me on the kill blocking stunt at the classic!! Anyone one that eats a filthy stinking coyote wins!!

WTH!
" Do you squeal too...? "
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Man I laugh every time I think about that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Coyotes Forever
diem24

Post by diem24 »

Jamie,
You guys only got a little sample of the comedy routine that Bub and I put on. That $#@! you witnessed at the NDCC is only a teaser. No one has more fun than him and I. Sometimes its a little ridiculous actually and always amazes me that we are not in jail all the stupid we've done. Next year, you'll have to ask him about possum ball and putting a live possum in my Denali. Thats a good one too and we have video to prove it! We'll save that one for NDCC 10.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

barebackjack wrote:I think id have to be on my last leg before I ate a stringy old coyote.

BBJ. agood sourse say's you like them big,black blankets?? i prefer the pale small shearable ones!! :D
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

bucksnbears wrote:
barebackjack wrote:I think id have to be on my last leg before I ate a stringy old coyote.

BBJ. agood sourse say's you like them big,black blankets?? i prefer the pale small shearable ones!! :D
Damn right! The bigger the better! :mrgreen:
Jeck
coyotehunter

Post by Jeck »

bucksnbears wrote:BBJ. agood sourse say's you like them big,black blankets?? i prefer the pale small shearable ones!! :D
Bucks... you're into sheep? :lol: :P I thought you were from MN not MT! jk
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

"just put this into your mouth for a second"" LOLOLOLO!!!!!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!