How good do your rifles shoot?

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

kflan22
coyotehunter

How good do your rifles shoot?

Post by kflan22 »

I am curious about what you guys consider acceptable accuracy for your varmint or calling rifle? If I can get any of my rifles to shoot an honest 3/4 inch group measured from edge to edge I'm pretty satisfied. I used to become obsessed with finding the right load but recently, not so much. Reloading isn't nearly as entertaining for me as it used to be.

Back to the question: What are some of your expectations for hunting rifle accuracy?

Thanks!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: How good do your rifles shoot?

Post by bucksnbears »

mine mirrors yours. i USED to be obsessed with accuracy but now if i can keep my groups under 3/4 im fine with that. shooting off a bench is WAY different than in the field with sticks. i've come to realize i'm a hunter,not a long range sniper. also it's to damn expensive to keep tyring to get the perfect combo.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

You are the only person you need to satisfy. A 1 inch gun will kill coyotes that are a hell of a long ways off. I spend lots of time shooting at smaller critters, so I'm a bit fussy. I would'nt hesitate to hunt coyotes with a 3/4 inch rifle.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

It pretty much boils down to what each person wants or ecspects and the type of shooting you will do with it..
If a hunter is going to take most of his shots at less than 300 yds. then a 1" grouping gun is good enough..
For the areas that I call or hunt the shots canbe as far as I want to take them with-in reason so I like a gun that is a little more accurate... No matter which rifle I load for I try to squeeze as much accuracy out of it as possable, I have certain steps I go through when reloading and do certain things to each rifle to get what I can out of it... In other words make it perfect so then if I miss a coyote or fox I know for a fact it was'nt the rifle but me instead and I need to work on certain shots or distances.. I spend alot of time traveling and locateing coyotes and have good money invested in my calling equipement and time spent on stands so when a coyote does show up I'm going to finish the job...
Years ago when I first started hunting fox and I would spend a half hour or more putting the sneak on a bedded fox and perhaps cover over a mile of ground to do it and then get close enough and miss the animal by a few inches due to the rifle or other equipement not being up to the task.. A real disappointment to say the least... I learned my lesson and won't travel down that road again...
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Im never happy.

I sold a completely factory rifle that would do 1/4 MOA..........

I sold another semi-custom rifle that was capable of .4" groups at 300..........

I sold these chasing after that elusive .1" rifle.

I have a problem. :?
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

That .4 rifle was a .1 rifle, the shooter just needed a little tuneing is all.. :wink:

I'm glad I don't have it that badd as anything under half is good.. :D
kflan22
coyotehunter

Post by kflan22 »

Thanks for the responses, guys. I appreciate hearing these opinions.

Thanks again.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Tim Anderson wrote:That .4 rifle was a .1 rifle, the shooter just needed a little tuneing is all.. :wink:

I'm glad I don't have it that badd as anything under half is good.. :D
I guess I need to be chasing after the .05" rifle than! :lol:
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

A .1" rifle? I respect you for the effort, but it's not for me. I'm only 36 and I've already got waaaaay too much gray hair.
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

Where I hunt an inch and a half is good, I don't shoot over 200. I tend think it depends mostly on where you hunt, and of course what you hunt. It always helps to have a healthy margin of error though.
Keep your powder dry.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

3/4" but a half is better. Like what has already been stated it depends on where you hunt and what kind of shots you want to make. I hate reloading and ballistics so i don't get into it and do just fine.

BBJ you need counseling!! LOL
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I'll agree PG, he needs OCD meds. ;)

by the way BBJ, how's that 260 shooting for you? have you gotten anything nailed down yet? You'd better get that thing going by fur season.

But, i'm kind of after the same thing though. I like small groups, but the guns that i own, out shoot me. ;) I've shot a few coyotes with 1" guns, it not hard by any means. I use to have a light weight ruger that would not shoot anything less than 1" no matter what i feed it, and it saw it's fair share of fur.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

xdeano wrote:I'll agree PG, he needs OCD meds. ;)

by the way BBJ, how's that 260 shooting for you? have you gotten anything nailed down yet? You'd better get that thing going by fur season.

But, i'm kind of after the same thing though. I like small groups, but the guns that i own, out shoot me. ;) I've shot a few coyotes with 1" guns, it not hard by any means. I use to have a light weight ruger that would not shoot anything less than 1" no matter what i feed it, and it saw it's fair share of fur.

xdeano

Ya, I sometimes walk around at the range like Rainman. "Yeah, definit definit definitely need to seat .001" off the lands, yeah."