Need Suggestions For Coyote Reading & Videos

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

Need Suggestions For Coyote Reading & Videos

Post by Coyote Huntress »

Hi Gentlemen,

I'm picking up tid bits of great information on here. I was wondering if you all could offer more suggestions on books and videos regarding coyote hunting strategies - or if there is a thread on here already listing them? So far, I've come across:

Voice Of The Coyote - Dobies (?)
The Coyote Song - (author ?)
Coyote Man, My Life With The Coyotes - Ray Alcorn
Track of The Coyote - Tod Wilkinson

I will be perusing this site more to see what is available for sale here. I am from Central Saskatchewan, Canada, so can't always order books and such through Amazon - shipping.

I did purchase two videos already, Coyote Tactics: Locating, Set-ups, Calling and Dogging Coyotes: Watch the Call-ins Using Coyote Dogs. Both are with the Outdoor Video Series. Any other suggestions?

Also, I read here that coyotes tend to stay in a 3 x 5 mile radius... Any other tidbits to offer?

I've tried hunting on the sides of small hills, not "sky line". Also, on the edge of woods but had a coyote trot just 40 feet behind me in the snow - heard him but couldn't believe we didn't see him until we saw the tracks. Sat in small clusters of trees, too. I'm going to try setting up in the stone piles next. Lots of woods here - hate to position myself on the edge of one. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in Advance.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Need Suggestions For Coyote Reading & Videos

Post by lyonch »

Here is a link about 3 pages long talking about different books that are a good read:
http://www.coyotehunter.net/forums/view ... ?f=16&t=75

Here is a link that is 10 pages long talking about the different videos:
http://www.coyotehunter.net/forums/view ... ?f=16&t=74

Here is a link to a section of the forum that contains some very good reading material right here:
http://www.coyotehunter.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=12

I have a video that is lengthy, but very good for a begginer caller (pm me you address and i will send it). He talks about everything (the gear, calls, set ups, all the way to the kill). the only part i do not agree with on his video is that he puts the wind to his back. I highly recommend wind to your face or cheek. If the wind is to one of your cheeks, make sure you watch that direction and point your gun that direction as well.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

CHuntress what state are u from??
Randy Roede
Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

Thanks a ton, Chris! I'll pm you shortly, and click on the links...

Hi Randy - I'm from Saskatchewan, Canada - more northern SK (province above North Dakota and Montana). All of SK isn't "flat" as believed - we're located in a spot with a good amount of Wildlife land, Ducks Unlimited land, clusters of lakes, and such.

Coyote Huntress
Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

Coyotes are a big problem here -- my brother is an avid hunter and has given me some advice, but isn't around much to help me out. Some of the coyotes around here get pretty big. Here's a picture of my brother (6 feet tall) with one coyote he finally trapped after 2-3 weeks of trying. Lots to say about his experience with this coyote, who weighed between 60 -70 pounds. Personally, I suspect they could be coy-wolves, but no proof... yet.

Coyote Huntress
Attachments
My brother with large coyote...
My brother with large coyote...
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Huntress, thats an average sized coyote. about 30lbs
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

Not according to my brother, who said the coyote weighed in as stated...
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i mean no disrespect at all but your brother needs a new scale :wink:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

gald to have you on board here. lots of great guys to point you in the right direction. use what you find useful and disregard what doesn't work for you. Lots of good info on here if you take the time to look around, once on those threads and need something clarified just post the question on that thread. It will send a email mail the the person who started the thread, letting him know you have a question or comment.
Coyotes Forever
Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

See, this is why I started carrying a tape measure with me, camera and will be filming weighing the ones I get! lol! :D

---------------

Also, the links are pretty good so far - thanks again...

Coyote Huntress
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

60-70 lbs or kg the whole metric vs standard could be causing problems. Welcome aboard.

Hoof beats of a wolfer by Craig O'Gorman is another good book.

Wolves of North America by Stanley P. Young/Jackson another

Clever Coyote by Stanly P. Young is another good one to get you going.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

Thanks for the welcome and the book suggestion, Prairie Ghost.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Good to have ya. I personally like any books and videos by Larry "Slim" Peterson also. He's pretty interesting and knowledgeable. Main thing is to get out and try what you read or see and find out what actually works for you. Nothing beats experience! :D
"God hates a coward"
Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

Hi Dusty,

I hear you, and agree. I feel like the queen of mistakes lately, but working out the glitches. And, since I've had a taste of calling a couple in when I first started a couple months ago, I'm addicted. I'd also love to learn more about coyotes vocals and meanings, along with tracking.

Thanks again, all, for the welcome, suggestions, assistance and time. I greatly appreciate it!

Sincerely,
Coyote Huntress
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

It's so nice to see another female posting on here! We all welcome you to the site :) It sure does get addicting...all the trapping and calling and what not! My husband and I enjoy it...but my husband especially does. He grew up trapping and hunting coyotes and me...well I am just your average ranch gal so we make a pretty good pair :) From what I've read it seems you've got the right attitude and want to learn the right ways and I commend you for that...it seems so many people go out there and don't have the right mindset or just want it fixed without really learning the correct ways to fix the problem. These people can be more of a problem than a help often times. Anyways...I won't get into that any more. If you're interested in trapping, everything I've ever heard of Craig O'Gorman has been GREAT!! My husband and father-in-law both praise him...more than you can probably imagine! So anything relating to Craig O'Gorman I would say is more than excellent advice. As far as calling goes, we use a wildlife technologies electronic caller...I can't remember which one, but it is a new one that we just got. It works wonders...I can venture to guess that the cheaper the caller the poorer the quality...as with most things. So do some investigating before you make a big purchase. As far as dogs go, we use hounds. We try to stick with Blueticks although the one we have now is a Bluetick/English hound cross. My in-laws have also used Walkers before, but they were used a little differently than the Blueticks are...they all have their "specialty". But I'm sure the breed also depends a bit on what exactly you want them to do :) And as with all dogs, breed and bloodlines don't always mean a darn thing. Just keep doing your research and as someone said some of the best experience is first hand experience. If you've got the time and money I'd suggest having someone actually "teach" you in a "class"...not sure on the availability up there, but I'm sure there are at least people around there that would be willing to go out with you or have you go out with them to learn and practice. Best of luck!!! Can't wait to hear more from you!