Need Suggestions For Coyote Reading & Videos

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: Need Suggestions For Coyote Reading & Videos

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Sennecker is from sask i believe possibly Alberta maybe but i think its sask, pulling 36 coyotes out of one draw snared up ya it's like that :shock:
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

yeah Randy. would'nt take to many of them beautiful pales to make up for it though.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

Post by Coyote Huntress »

Hi Randy and all - You'd be in hunting heaven.

Yep, a lot of coyotes taken last year - google search will give you the articles, too. Around 1.5 million payout, turn in four paws - and the sickening part is that some groups and city slickers were chiming in about it being a "genocide". That infuriates me - it was no "genocide", and these same people are romanticizing coyotes - "educating" the rest of us that have actual first hand experience with what coyotes will really do - saying on their high horses that coyotes will only eat Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny and the likes - not big game or horses, etc. Many of us shake our heads out here.

Well, some of those same "save the coyote" people should come out here and I'll point them in the direction of a nice cluster of coyotes so they can go, walk and have a talk with the "harmless" coyotes, educating the coyotes about what they're suppose to be eating. Would make for a good crash course all around... On the bright side, there's also no better time for someone like me to have a crash course in coyote hunting...

Anyway, I'm using every spare moment I can make to try and get them... Sorry about the short rant, I've just had it with the coyotes, and then some...

Thanks for "listening" - I'll be sure to post some up-dates in the future.

Sincerely,
Coyote Huntress
Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

... and it's too bad some couldn't come up here -- I'd host ya, but you'd HAVE to take me with you. I use to run a B&B for about 8 seasons before I had kids hosting American hunters (my bro is a prof. water fowl guide), so I can assure you the hospitality would be great, along with food.

Thanks to all again...
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

CH, I feel your pain and flustration in your posts.

I am sure every ADC on here like myself just flip the "comin to help" switch when we read your first post but unfortunately we can not. You have no idea how much that video with those groups howling excites a true coyote control guy. I was thinking of the tremendous decoy dog action that would unfold with all those coyotes and the age i am sure you have on your coyotes which tends to lead to more agressive reaction to a dog not to mention the coyote density you obviously have.

With the densities as high as they are and the time of year I would sure think coyote vocalizations and coyote distress, kiyi like your dog when it gets it's tail stepped on would envoke some agressive responces. Especially if you can get between the groups. If they are remaining in organized groups and hunting bigger game I would assume multiples are going to respond. They may have to keep intact family numbers to defend territiories if densities are that high.

I would assume you being that much farther north your born dates for litters may be a bit later but you should have pups in the ground now which again is going to lead to serious territorial issues around those dens. This is another plus for using coyote vocalizations, any type of howl should do it to a certain level. Don't want to make this seem to complicated when you are just learning.

Where's that little dude in all the Randy Anderson videos that lives up there, "Wooly" was his name wasn't it???

That is some very agressive behavior in coyotes to say the least, tackling colts, horses ,or even deer usually means more than one can be multiples doing the damage.

I would think these types of posts would make livestock producers in states with ADC programs feel lucky. At least the have another option. I'm heading down to visit my son in the way SE corner of NE in the near future to hunt coyotes on a cattle producer who lost numerous calves this spring. He has just given up and just believed losin a few was just part of the deal. Maybe we'll get some maybe we won't but I get to see my grandaughter and see new country. This guys son's wife babysits my grandaughter was how it all got hooked up.

CH your getting a lot of info from a lot of good people on here, I am sure it may seem a little overwhelming to say the least. I would not worry about that one that came to the edge and retreated as long as you didn't shoot at him. If that happens again I would give him a little KIYI and see what happens, make sure you are concealed in the cover and still able to shoot.

Good luck and hope it works out for ya!
Randy Roede
Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

Thanks a bunch, Randy!

What you say makes perfect sense, and I'm taking your advice, including with the suggestion of coyote vocalizations... Two Sundays ago around 10:30 pm, my dogs were going nuts. I stepped out and heard a coyote in very close proximity, and it sounded like he was in distress/injured. A very distinct sound and I noted it right away. To make a long story short, I called for my husband to bring the gun from the shop where he was working and I shone a flashlight into the bush right in my back yard - three sets of eyes glowed back. The coyotes tried a couple more nights to bait my girls (dogs) out, too.

My 1/2 Gr. Pyranese's been marking territory too, and is making the coyotes go further around our yard. I noticed that when they aggravate her more, she gets really irritated and more aggressive with the other dogs here too. Usually, she's very laid back. (I have four domestic dogs. A small pack. Coyote rivals.)

So, I'll definitely try the coyote distress call this week - planning on going out with guns in our pasture Tuesday, and getting snares set up on our neighbors land later this week, also.

Oh - and we never shot at the coyote in the video. By the time I decided, it was pointless as the shot was no longer a good one, and I fell back on a philosophy my dad had in our house growing up: Make every bullet count.

Anyways, thanks again! I'll be sure to post up-dates in the next couple of weeks, and pictures...
Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

PS, Randy - Have a great, successful trip... and wonderful visit with your grand-daughter too.
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

bucks - I'd love to go out by myself someday...but I ain't gonna lie to you guys/gals I am learning A LOT still and really feel much more comfortable with my husband at my side right now since he's really the brains on all this stuff. I'm still learning a lot of stuff and it always seems to be more difficult to implement than it is to talk about the ideas and what I've observed no matter how many times I watch him or hear him talk about what to do and how to do it and why this is better than that and so on. Someday it would sure be nice to go out by myself though...which I'm sure he'd appreciate the help at that time too! As far as kids go...we don't have any yet so that helps, but I am expecting August 27th so we'll see. Hopefully I'm not overdue because that'd be getting way too close to opening elk season!!!!! :D
A 30-30 and a 300 wm...shouldn't have any problem killing a coyote with them! :D
My husband is typically shooting his long range 25-06, but also uses his 22-250. I've got a 243...still a virgin on the coyote kills though!! :( So sad...the one real chance I've had so far and the hubby shot about 1/2 sec before I woulda pulled the trigger, and he dropped him about 100 yards out from me...got to see the whole thing in my scope! Needless to say I wasn't too happy with him, especially sine the rest of the day the other 3 were all shot around the 500 yard mark or so...way too far for me and my 243! But a dead coyote is better than no dead coyote so I can't complain too much! Hopefully he'll teach me how to get his 25-06 set up someday so I can long range shoot something and know how to if I ever have to and he's not around to "hold my hand".
Best of Luck again!!! :)
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Congrats on the expecting date rodeo!!! My little on is due on wednesday and it looks like the wife will be going over the due date. By the end of the weekend, i will be a dad for sure though :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

Thanks Chris! Here's an early congrats to you and the wife!! Will this be your first?
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Yes this is the first for us! I'm like a kid waiting to check his first trap ever or go on his first hunting trip right now :D
Chris Lyon

rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

LOL!!! I can imagine! I'm sure it'll be like that around our house the closer we get too!
Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

Congratulations, Chris and Rodeo! Boy or girl? Any idea?

Rodeo - Aug. 27 is a great day, my birthday, too. :D

We've 4 boys (yes, we're done) all 7 years and under...
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

It's going to be a boy for this guy :D I'm hoping he has an outdoor addiction like his dad that i need to support :wink:
Chris Lyon

Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

Same thing my hubby said, too, Chris! :lol: Our last try for a girl resulted in twin boys -- it's okay, though, cause I'm a tomboy and always have been. Camping, horse back riding, motor bikes, etc... We're buying the boys their first mini bike this weekend.

Also, we know for sure the second son will most likely be a hunter - he's setting up coyote traps in the house and yard, but wants me to be the "coyote" in his game while he holds a Nerf gun... Yeah, that's where I draw the line. Just wait -- You'll be playing these games with your son, too, soon!

Very excited for you!