Need Suggestions For Coyote Reading & Videos

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: Need Suggestions For Coyote Reading & Videos

Post by bucksnbears »

great post rodeorulez 8)
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

It bears mentioning that if you want to target the coyotes that are giving you trouble, the best place to target them would be on the fringes of your building site. I'm assuming you live in a secluded spot. Disreguard the following advice if you have close neighbors. Have a securely stored firearm that you can get to on short notice. I normally have a rifle in my locked truck and keep the keys handy. Make it a point to be outside at sunrise and sunset. If you exit your house, don't make any unnecessary noise (slamming doors, etc). Horses have an almost supernatural ability to detect predators. I've taken several coyotes and many fox simply because I noticed livestock behaving in an odd fashion. Pay attention to how your animals are behaving. The bottom line is to be ready. Know which directions are safe to shoot in and which are not. If they're not already, you'll need to get your domestic animals used to gunfire. I'm betting a few of the guys on this site could give some advice on that.

leadbiscuit
Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

Post by Coyote Huntress »

rodeorulz wrote:It's so nice to see another female posting on here! We all welcome you to the site :) It sure does get addicting...all the trapping and calling and what not! My husband and I enjoy it...but my husband especially does. He grew up trapping and hunting coyotes and me...well I am just your average ranch gal so we make a pretty good pair :) From what I've read it seems you've got the right attitude and want to learn the right ways and I commend you for that...it seems so many people go out there and don't have the right mindset or just want it fixed without really learning the correct ways to fix the problem. These people can be more of a problem than a help often times. Anyways...I won't get into that any more. If you're interested in trapping, everything I've ever heard of Craig O'Gorman has been GREAT!! My husband and father-in-law both praise him...more than you can probably imagine! So anything relating to Craig O'Gorman I would say is more than excellent advice. As far as calling goes, we use a wildlife technologies electronic caller...I can't remember which one, but it is a new one that we just got. It works wonders...I can venture to guess that the cheaper the caller the poorer the quality...as with most things. So do some investigating before you make a big purchase. As far as dogs go, we use hounds. We try to stick with Blueticks although the one we have now is a Bluetick/English hound cross. My in-laws have also used Walkers before, but they were used a little differently than the Blueticks are...they all have their "specialty". But I'm sure the breed also depends a bit on what exactly you want them to do :) And as with all dogs, breed and bloodlines don't always mean a darn thing. Just keep doing your research and as someone said some of the best experience is first hand experience. If you've got the time and money I'd suggest having someone actually "teach" you in a "class"...not sure on the availability up there, but I'm sure there are at least people around there that would be willing to go out with you or have you go out with them to learn and practice. Best of luck!!! Can't wait to hear more from you!
Thanks Rodeorulz,

I'm a newbie,but grew up in a family of avid hunters and trappers. My Dad drilled into our heads that if we were going to do something, do it right, pay attention to details, and most importantly, when making mistakes learn from them. He took hunting very seriously. He believed in watching body language with animals, and again, details. He's been gone almost three years, but I know if this was a decade ago, he'd be out there teaching me what he knew. My brother isn't around much, but my cousin wants to come out. Along with other guys in this area - all hunters, but aside from my bro and cous, they're not predator hunters (big game).

My hubby is an avid hunter too - big game, but never really hunted coyotes or other predators, so coyotes are a new experience for him in this sense also. I'm the one in our family that is pushing to get out whenever we can to hunt coyotes - he's liking it and I'm having fun rubbing it in that I might let him use my calls (gets him in a bit of a tither, my entertainment.) Soon, I'll be self-sufficient and can go out alone.

The only professional I know of in this area, uses snares. He's a great guy to talk to. But, we are so close to town w/surrounding neighbors on quarters themselves with domestic dogs, and lots of deer, that snares aren't the best solution due to our location and the chance of getting domestic dogs and other animals caught. Also, I love the woods and we are surrounded, so I need to learn about sneaking into heavily wooded areas, too, without being seen.

I bought a PowerDogg Predator Call (Randy Anderson calls) about 3 weeks or so ago. Lots to say, but so far, I like it - particularly the coyote calls on it.

My brother also encouraged me to sell the pelts, saying I'd make a nice chunk of change due to how many coyotes are out here. Have to get them first - and, when I say we are over-populated with no hunting pressure, I'm not joking. I was going to post a very short clip of video I took to record how many were yipping in the hills one mile west of our place.

It's too bad the coyote bounty our province placed on coyotes was only for last year - $20.00 per coyote. 71,000 coyotes were turned in - and our premier of course took some heat but he stood by his decision. Could have at least recouped some of our financial losses due to coyotes...
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i can see your taking this stuff seriously 8) thats great. plus you REALLY seem to have desire to take it to the next level. i wish you the best of luck and chime in with some pics and stories :wink:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

leadbiscuit wrote:It bears mentioning that if you want to target the coyotes that are giving you trouble, the best place to target them would be on the fringes of your building site. I'm assuming you live in a secluded spot. Disreguard the following advice if you have close neighbors. Have a securely stored firearm that you can get to on short notice. I normally have a rifle in my locked truck and keep the keys handy. Make it a point to be outside at sunrise and sunset. If you exit your house, don't make any unnecessary noise (slamming doors, etc). Horses have an almost supernatural ability to detect predators. I've taken several coyotes and many fox simply because I noticed livestock behaving in an odd fashion. Pay attention to how your animals are behaving. The bottom line is to be ready. Know which directions are safe to shoot in and which are not. If they're not already, you'll need to get your domestic animals used to gunfire. I'm betting a few of the guys on this site could give some advice on that.

leadbiscuit
Hi Leadbiscuit,

Thanks so much, also! Yep, horses definitely tip us off, as you mentioned. After coyotes got my second yearling horse here, the herd bunched together for a week and would not leave the entrance to the corral. Also, there's one particular spot I can see from my house where the horses will stop, snort and flag their tails, taking off. My dogs are always barking and charging into that area also. We're planning on going out coyote hunting on horse back, too - it's legal here to carry an unloaded firearm on a horse. Won't shoot off a horse, either, simply dismount...

We're close to town where a regional lake is - 1 mile. There are three quarters/home quarters bordering the town, two are experiencing the coyotes chasing deer right into their yards coming from our quarter of land. Right behind us, is another home quarter (gun shots can be heard periodically coming from his place). Just west of us, is another neighbor ticked at the coyotes. He has cattle and came over encouraging us to hunt on his land. Then, another neighbor a bit further west, who has coyotes coming into his yard and he'll be coming out with us whenever he can. So, we need to really pay attention to our direction, though my hubby and I were both raised to never shoot unless you're sure of your target.

I also just picked up an infrared trail camera yesterday to place in my back forty - one of the neighbors bordering the town came over the other night to discuss strategies. They had a pack of coyotes, coming from our direction, chase a deer into their yard on the edge of town. All the deer's legs were shredded, and he said four coyotes were waiting on the road - again, this is on the edge of town (by the schoolyard, I might add.)

After I confirm with conservation officers, we'll be placing bait on our back forty by the trial cam. I plan on setting it up tomorrow and the local butcher shop will save some guts and scraps for us. But, I don't want the trail cam flashing at night and educating the coyotes. I saw a program where spot lights were put up with the trail cam, so the coyotes were use to the light. I'm thinking that's probably the best.

We're all a little on edge with the coyotes, more so lately - plus, our kids are outside more now. Lot's to say. But, we feel given our situation that we should try to get a few with bait - again double checking with c.o. to be sure - to clean some out then working on trying to get the Alphas, hunting year round. Thanks to this forum, and some opinions, along with the article I read helped me figure out the strategy a bit with the alphas. Article was: "Targeting alphas can make coyote control more effective and socially acceptable" - socially acceptable doesn't matter to me, though. Anyway, I'm in this for the long haul - it's not going to be a fast fix...

Thanks again...
Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

Thanks bucksnbear!

The guys around here are dropping their jaws, stating the same thing you did about taking it seriously. They just worry about me publicly stating on the internet how many coyotes fall, for good reason with certain groups who have no idea about coyote problems...

I'm still reading here as much as I can, soaking in everything. I am planning on posting that short clip of video in the new coyote hunter section, just so you can see some of our terrain and hear the coyotes...

Sincerely,
Coyote Huntress
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Coyote Huntress - I don't want to deter you from shooting them over bait, but in my opinion a bait pile strategically placed in a thick brushy area that is guarded by snares will have a quicker and bigger impact on the overal immediate population there. When a dog gets caught in a snare, and it is leash broke, the dog will sit and wait for your to return to let it out. The snare will not dispatch it. A properly set snare doesn't catch deer non stop like some may think. A good snaresman doesn't want his snares full of deer, and would rather see them full of coyotes. Also some well placed footholds in your area will also aid in the overall reducing in the immediate population. You have an uphill battle against you, and we all wish you the best of luck, but you might want to also think outside the box just a bit and be prepared to take them from all different angles. Good Luck and report back with stories and pics :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

Yah snares and even foot traps can be tricky if you're in an area with lots of neighbors. I'd have to say I can't blame you for avoiding the use...the last thing you need is someone crying because you caught their pet. Not to say I wouldn't feel for them...but if we're talking someones dog on your property (where it doesn't belong) then who's really to blame? As far as domestic cats go though...lol there's no keeping them in an "area" on your own property unless you're locking them in your house!!! Something my husband still hasn't quite gotten used to with our cats! And if it gets too cold at night, too hot during the day, or if you don't get to check the snares/traps often you could very easily end up with a dead pet on your hands...no matter how leash broke the animal may be. Another worry is a dog getting "water-headed". My husband caught a young black lab once (out in the middle of nowhere I may add...) and the darn thing got really lucky! He was starting to get a little water-headed, must not have been caught too long though since the cold hadn't killed him either. Boy was he ever glad to see my husband though!! Still not sure what ever came of the dog...he dropped him off with the closest rancher he could find. Our guess was someone out checking CBM wells had their dog with and he got away then. Anyways...point being that if snares/foot traps are used properly then you'll be fine. Everyone has made some excellent points on here that I'm sure you'll take into consideration :) lyonch (Chris) makes an excellent point about setting the snares up around the bait!! GREAT idea! And I guarantee it'll work if done right! Always, always, always remember thought that the coyote is a very smart animal! Don't ever for a second think they are dumb animals :) Some people mistakenly think they are... Not saying you are thinking they are dumb animals, but just putting that statement out there for all to remember. Best of Luck again!! Oh and as far as keeping the fur and selling it, excellent idea...not sure they are any good to keep right now in your area though. I don't know much about your Canadian coyotes, especially way up north. I know there are a few my husband has shot down here in northern WY a couple weeks or so ago that he could have skinned and kept, but most are not in their prime anymore and very soon none will be...so not worth keeping in our area right now. But it is definitely something to think about if you aren't blowing big holes in them and having to do lots of sewing! :D Speaking of...what type of gun are you hunting with?
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i'm kinda diggin you gal's post's :D not so blunt and to the point as us guys seem to do. keep it up :wink:
Rodeo, tell your husband to stay home and watch the kids and go out alone and show him you can "GET-ER-DONE"
Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

Yep,that was my concern too, Rodeo. I enjoyed reading about your experience. We're in a tight knit area, and when weighing all the options on how to get the coyote over-population under control, my concern was about getting one of my dogs or someone else's pet by mistake if I set up snares on our home quarter. Three days out of the week, I'd be able to check them daily (hubby works 4 - 10's). Plus, hiring babysitter.

I'm so relieved to have found this forum, talking with people who can relate and understand and not get bored about talking about coyotes. (BTW, I'm with bucksnbears about getting hubby to watch kids... :wink: )

Chris and Prairie Ghost (posted on another thread I have with vid. in new hunters section), bring up some good points about snaring and trapping too. I agree with Chris about thinking out side the box, also - spending most of my waking hours thinking of the best strategies for the most effective outcome. I peaked in this morning, but didn't have time to post. Our neighbor to the west popped in at noon, and we asked him if we could set some snares on one of his quarters of pasture land (no cattle there yet.) about two miles away. He said he knows how to set them properly - learned from the gentlemen I mentioned earlier. So, we'll be going out with him tomorrow sometime, and he'll show us how he learned, too.

I'm shooting the good ole' 30-30 with lever action (Model 94 Winchester). Hubby is shooting his 300 win-mag right now - just a tad excessive, but to start, we're using what we have. (Like I said, he hunts big game, including moose). Rodeo, my brother also said the same thing as you about the fur. He said that when the time comes, I can buy a specialized coyote hunting gun. Can't wait! Mine, Mine, Mine - and I've already warned hubby no one is going to touch it but me. :o

And, yep, coyotes are very intelligent! That is what makes it more mentally stimulating for me - it's the challenge, the strategies and eliminating predators causing so much havoc and damage. My hat is off to all of you who are avid coyote hunters. I wish there were more in my area, and more time for those who would love to get out and hunt, too, but can't.

Anyway, here's my strategy I'm happy with now: As Tim said on another thread, start here and then work my way with hunting them 1/4 to 1/2 mile out each time. Sounds good to me. I'll bait them on my property in the back forty, set up the trail cam. Eliminate what we can - worry about targeting alphas later, because at this point, every coyote is a big problem here. Then, go with neighbor and set snares about 2 miles from here. That should be a good start.

Thanks again, everyone!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Take pictures and keep us posted!!!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

CH the bounty deal?

Just in your providence, 71,000 turned in at $20 a pop that's a huge chunk of money and you still are at their mercy with no help.

Isn't that a 1.4 million dollar deal if my math serves me right? Our total budget isn't that much.

We have an estimated population at it's highest level for the entire state of 80,000 coyotes.

Dave, you up for a road trip!!! :shock:
Randy Roede
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

A good snareman could good buy some new gear if he could afford to go up there for a month......however they don't allow non-canadiens to hunt or trap coyotes up there in SASK....already looked :wink:
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

RandyRoede wrote:

Dave, you up for a road trip!!! :shock:
who me?? yep, you buy the gas and i learn ya all there is about coyote hunting/trapping :mrgreen: :oops:
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Is that where Seneker sp?? the snare guy who catches all the coyotes is from??

The picture is becoming a little clearer!!

Dave, gas money, may have to take out a loan for that deal!!

I wonder what the gas prices are in Canada?
Randy Roede