Something to think about!

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Something to think about!

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I was recently asked to help teach the fifth graders at our local school about trapping for their outdoors camp. I did it last year and enjoyed it immensily so i agreed again. It would absolutetly blow your guys minds if you did this and seen the reaction from kids when they first arrive. We have tanned furs and traps laying on a table with snares set in trails ect ect. Every group we had come to the table made comments about foothold traps like "don't touch that it will kill you!" I had some of the adults act in the same way! The misinformation the kids are getting from disney and their parents nowadays about trapping is mind boggling. Most classes after an hour of instruction and discussion about the damage predators can do to livestock left with a better understanding of how and why we trap plus snapping a two coil Montana number three on our hands over and over again let them know that they aren't the tools of torture disney portays them as. My point is if you get the chance to educate some little ones on trapping take full advantage they will be voting one day and if disney is going to target them young there is no reason why we shouldn't.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: Something to think about!

Post by LeviM »

Great post Brad! How did your hand feel after snapping it in a trap a few times!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I hit the end of a snare a few times but the other guy was doing the trap snapping. He was a little bruised when he caught it on the knuckle but all for a good cause.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

PG,

I see that here too. I've done it 3 times in Devils Lake and I was supprised. The kids knew the furs pretty well but when it came to traps, there were maybe 1 out of a group of 10 that knew what a trap was. And maybe 2 or 3 out of the whole day that said that they trap muskrats with their dad. So it's a dieing art for sure.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Great post brad! Last fall, the highschool i went to wanted to put on a outdoors class and they wanted me to cover trapping, but there was only 3 students that signed up, so they canceled it due to lack of interest :( I think more trapping classes should be put on to help keep this great sport going!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!