Refield scopes?

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Refield scopes?

Post by Skinny Indian »

I'm looking at getting some more equipment. And in doing so I'll need a new scope, so I'm asking anyone have an opinion on Redfields or any other scope in that price range?
Keep your powder dry.
DustyC

Re: Refield scopes?

Post by DustyC »

I don't know what redfield or the price range but you can always get a Leupold for a pretty fair price. Nikon makes a couple decent scopes also.
"God hates a coward"
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

DustyC wrote:I don't know what redfield or the price range but you can always get a Leupold for a pretty fair price. Nikon makes a couple decent scopes also.
From what I could find the Leupold/Nikon in the magnification I want are kinda pricey. I have one lower powered Leupold that I like a lot and I might get another one, but I really want a higher powered scope, on the same note I don't want junk, or something expensive. I know lots of demands. The Redfield are priced right and I remember them having fairly clear optics but... that was a while ago and I also have no clue how well they stand up to abuse. I'd rather sacrifice power for quality though. Also for price I'm looking at $200ish and down. I'm somewhat flexible but I'm not spending more on my scope than my gun. I need to win the lottery, it'll make these decisions so much easier...
Keep your powder dry.
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

I got the 50mm Illuminator about 6 yrs ago. It seems to be good. I think it was like a 350-400$ scope. I traded an old one in to the factory because my 15yr old one was made incorrectly.
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

Tactical.20 wrote:I got the 50mm Illuminator about 6 yrs ago. It seems to be good. I think it was like a 350-400$ scope. I traded an old one in to the factory because my 15yr old one was made incorrectly.
I hadn't seen any Redfields that expensive, I'm looking at $200ish range. I don't plan on spending more that $350 for the gun so spenings $350 or more is too much for a scope. I hunt mostly woodlands so magnification isn't quite as important as clarity to me. Maybe I'll repurpose my Leupold and get a bigger scope for my .308.....
Keep your powder dry.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

If you buy good optics you only cry once!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

Prairie Ghost wrote:If you buy good optics you only cry once!
Yeah, and I've seen the difference in good and bad ones. I can check the clarity in store (when I get home) but things such as holding their zero and durability are of huge concern. The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking about just picking up another inexpensive Leupold like I have on my .308, I just wanted a little higher power because 'yotes are smaller than deer. Then again when I do think about it my Leupold is variable and 9x should be good enough for 200 and less on them (right?), which is about all I'll shoot anyways. And I am happy with my Leupold, it's on my favorite setup. Could it be that I'm just trying to talk myself into another Leupold?
Keep your powder dry.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

If it was me, I'ld take a little more time and save a little more money and buy what I want instead of something I'm just settling for because of price. Keep your eye's open on hunting forums and you can usually find someone selling or trading optics at a reasonable price.

It's good to see you back my scrawny little native buddy!!!!!! :lol: :lol: 8)
"God hates a coward"
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

DustyC wrote:If it was me, I'ld take a little more time and save a little more money and buy what I want instead of something I'm just settling for because of price. Keep your eye's open on hunting forums and you can usually find someone selling or trading optics at a reasonable price.

It's good to see you back my scrawny little native buddy!!!!!! :lol: :lol: 8)
Thanks! You're right I should probably just keep being so damn cheap and just buy what I really want. I never regret it when I do and always regret it when I don't.
Keep your powder dry.